Sign in to follow this  
tony2657

e28 dashboard cracks. What to do?

I have a 1983 e28 which, until a few years ago, had a perfect crack-free dashboard.  It is garaged all the time and when parked outside I always use a sun-shield.  It has done no good and the cracks are appearing.

Is there anything I can do to repair (fill?) them or prevent them expanding?.  I am guessing not.

I don't like the idea of a dash cap, but perhaps someone can recommend where I could source a high-quality dash mat?

Part out.

More seriously, I'm fairly certain they all crack so replacing it with a 2nd hand one won't be that viable. You could drill and fill the cracks, can look good if done well. Though my favourite option would be leather wrapping the dash, I haven't investigated this option in NZ yet though.

Have you got any pictures of your car?

7 hours ago, eliongater said:

Part out.

More seriously, I'm fairly certain they all crack so replacing it with a 2nd hand one won't be that viable. You could drill and fill the cracks, can look good if done well. Though my favourite option would be leather wrapping the dash, I haven't investigated this option in NZ yet though.

Have you got any pictures of your car?

The cracks are so small they don't show in a photo.  Is leather wrapping the same as vinyl wrapping, and who does that in NZ?

On 3/12/2017 at 7:02 PM, tony2657 said:

The cracks are so small they don't show in a photo.  Is leather wrapping the same as vinyl wrapping, and who does that in NZ?

I'm not sure sorry, it's not something I've looked into.