Sign in to follow this  
Ae85.6

E36 sedan 325i

Hi, Just starting to browse at whats about...

Ideally I had in mind a 325 sedan (pre vanos if any exist) Manual would be a bonus but not essential. Non sunroof. Wof and reg (or close to). As mechanically sound / maintained as possible.

I understand these are not new cars but needs to be reliable and not overheat, burn oil or sound like about to explode. Not bent or previous serious accidents. Close to Auckland if possible. Light mods ok but not looking at a straight pipe drift missile beater either. 

If nothing pops up can include 328 323 I guess as next choice.

Cheers 

Edited by Ae85.6

Hey Michael,

I'm contemplating selling my 1998 E36 328i convertible. It's done 145K. Replaced the radiator a few months ago. Working well - a little noise from back rear wheel area but getting that investigated (and getting warrant) next week so will know more then. I'm in Wellington tho.

Tim

Hi Tim. Thanks for the heads up and sounds like a nice car but ill have to pass thanks as I'm trying to keep to the plan of 4 doors and a roof. Good luck with your sale.

Thanks - and good luck with your purchase!

For that much money, I'd rather have this...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1321392579.htm

I think the reason you're not getting any responses is you're looking for something too specific but at the same time not (the vast majority of BMWs for sale on Trademe are E36s...). There's no real reason IMO to limit yourself to a non-vanos 325i, I'd recommend looking for a manual 325i or manual 328i, or budgeting an extra ~$1000-1500 to manual convert it if you do it yourself.

Hi eliongater.

Thank you for the reply and completely agree with you. Have even had that one on my watch list for a while too. 

As not many manuals around and some that pop up are rough as shyte so was assuming i would be converting an auto which is ok as usually a nicer lower ks car to start with.

Had in my head 325i or 328i. Just thought 325i may be earlier so better for simplier electronics side or engine modifying in future. Not stressed about pre vanos as barely any about in the 325s.

Cheers for your help though.

If you're doing it properly, they're basically the same when it comes to tuning etc, in fact, I'd go as far as to say with the stock ECU and loom the M52b28 is a nicer engine to use as a base compared to the m50tub25.

What engine mods did you have in mind? There's not really any bolt on mods for either that will make significant power gains (the M50B25 manifold plus a tune on the M52B28 is a hotly debated bolt-on "upgrade").

Ah thats good to hear then as 328s seem far more common, i just thought maintenance and upgrades were a lil harder or m52 or possibly a bit less reliable electronic wise but obviously that is also per case basis on any car.

Nothing much modifying wise as i have read there is not a lot to do. Possibly headers which on 328s i thought meant 4x oxy sensors instead of 2x on 325? Small exhaust work possibly, filter or airbox, some kind of remapped or reflashed ecu for maybe small gain, Cams would be nice however i think that is easier for the pre vanos rather than vanos 325 and 328s. 

Manifold mod seems to have many many firey debates.

Otherwise was possibly going to look more at suspension brakes diff ratio, don't need a lot of horsies to still have fun.