Sign in to follow this  
E36_Turbo

97' Evo M3 Vert - Worth that much?

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Unlikely.  I see you are the only non Car Dealer bidding.  Once they buy it for a stupid amount of money you will be able to buy it from them the same day for slightly more.

Not just dealers who Autobid.

if i am buying something on trademe i ussually auto bid I just put in my maximum and let it be....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

Rose Cars will just relist +10k

Bloody vultures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KwS said:

Bloody vultures.

Hopefully they tap out - won't be buying it from them though! 

On 12/30/2019 at 8:11 PM, Herbmiester said:

Not just dealers who Autobid.

It was two car dealers with the Autobids.  Rose City and Pearce Bros.  And now it is Camu vs Rose City.

Sold for $25k, about where I thought it would sell. I think the fact other dealers were bidding on it scared off anyone else

Oops, went to bid on it again but was too slow entering the price.

Oh well, I doubt I'd best his autobidding anyhow.

25725 seems like a good price 

Looks like they also purchased the bronze e36 m3 evo sedan as well with a decent mark up to

Edited by Gaz

I know people disagree with me (they're just doing their job, they had the money to buy it, blah blah), but damn dealers are the scum of the earth. They're no better than your average tardme car flipper, buying, washing it, taking photos and selling for a large mark up like they earned it. Taking the opportunity to buy these cars away from legit passionate potential owners, and then pricing them out of the market, with their "superior buying power".

• Like 3

The average joe doesn’t have $20-30k to drop on a car. Let alone something that is more a weekend car/hobby/something that is going go to require on going R&M like an aging M3. 
Some might be able to via business or adding into the mortgage, but I’d say most don’t. 

So enter the dealers where they can offer cheap and easy finance. 

Easier for people who can’t afford it, to afford it. 

I thought the four door M3 was a good price (going off the ad and pics). 
There was ample time for an enthusiast to purchase that car, as it had been on the market for a while... snooze you loose I guess. 

• Like 2

So your argument is that they can heavily mark a car up because they can offer finance on it? Yeah, i've never heard of personal loans or private car finance either....

If they sold them with a small mark up, sure, but 5k for doing nothing is cheeky.

It may be cheeky but I reckon fair play. Everyone wants to make some $$ and if you spend enough time researching the market value so that when an opportunity comes up you can jump on it, I think you deserve the margin you make on it. As coop said, there was ample time for an enthusiast to buy it. Sure its depressing seeing an evo vert for 33k but hey, if it wasn't selling in Auckland for 30, it won't sell in Palmy for 33k lol

• Like 3

I was thinking the same thing. If he thinks he can get 33k for then fair enough, the market will decide and it will sit there on the yard for another year plus. If you want to buy it offer them $25k and see how you go

Its no different from buying something from facebook marketplace for below market rates and then selling it on trade me for market rate for a profit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KwS said:

So your argument is that they can heavily mark a car up because they can offer finance on it? Yeah, i've never heard of personal loans or private car finance either....

If they sold them with a small mark up, sure, but 5k for doing nothing is cheeky.

It’s not really my argument. Just stating a main reason why dealers can list for a higher price than a private seller. 
Offering cheap and easy finance opens up more potential buyers. 

• Like 1

Im in agreement with the above. Therefore when you include financing (regardless of which financing option people use) into the equation, and lets be honest, this is what most nzers use to purchase ‘major’ items, then price becomes irrelevant.

Whether we like it or not what the dealer has done is not uncommon these days. And not just dealers as alluded to above. Therefore, we have a choice, either participate or not. I think most of us have chosen to ‘not’ In this instance ??

Don't know who's going to buy it though - I was the only non dealer bidder I think and I certainly won't be buying it. 

• Like 1

Try selling a car for over $20k, your pool of cash buyers is minute. Especially for something a bit challenging. Or you’ll get hit with “$20k cash bro?” On a car with an asking of $30k. Then there’s a slightly larger pool who are “keen as” if they can get finance.

$5k for a dealer markup. Minus $1k for negotiations, minus $1k contingency for what they didn’t realise was wrong on the car they bought/traded, minus a bit more for overpaying on the trade in “its worth more than that bro” and let’s call it $2.5k. Minus 1/3 on tax.

So if you can sell it in a month, you’ll still need to find another $800-1000 for the month to pay the groomer. Before you pay your rent, your salesmen and yourself.

I’m no particular fan of dealers, but they have to make a living. I think they’ve over priced that ‘vert and will end up holding on to it for a while and probably the Byzanz one too.

Is this the same dealer that had the ‘96 Schnitzer kitted 540i for sale for $29995 for about 5 years?

I've never purchased from a dealer.  And never will.  Is it weird I feel like they don't deserve my money?

If you can't find a car that you want from a private individual.  Look at importing one yourself.  I would never have had half the cars I have owned if I didn't bring them to NZ myself.

Also a dealer burnt me when I was a kid.  The very first time I tried to buy a car from one they tried to bump the price at the last min due to another person wanting the car too.  After about a weeks negotiation and me having already got the finance for it.  I had to walk away.

I never financed another vehicle or went to another dealer it was such a sh*t experience.

Maybe a new BMW one day.  But only from BMW Munich.

Like any industry there are good and bad, unfortunately the car industry seems to attract more than it's fair share of pond life.

Happy to order you a car from BMW Munich Dan - mates rates too!

23 hours ago, Driftit said:

I've never purchased from a dealer.  And never will.  Is it weird I feel like they don't deserve my money?

Out of 56 cars I have purchased, I have only purchased one car from a dealer, and he treated me like sh*t from the moment I walked onto the yard, to the moment I drove it away. They don't deserve my money. I'm in the automotive industry, I know what markups and shifty deals they do to get cars sold (even moreso when its a "wholesale dealer").

• Like 1

I don't think dealers should be allowed on trademe. It was better without them. It should be a private sellers marketplace imho.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I don't think dealers should be allowed on trademe. It was better without them. It should be a private sellers marketplace imho.

It's just a very limited and expensive Ebay now.