Jacko

BMW 130i - Birds B1 Dynamics etc etc etc

I bought new front plates for mine, but not rears. I was lazy though and paid some blokes to do it for me so not sure exactly what they did to fit the rears, but pretty sure they just did the trimming as per the instructions?

I bought braided lines locally, they were HEL Performance ones I bought from NZAD

• Like 1

Yeah new ones, came pre trimmed. Ill look up p/n later, think was FCPeuro, will be from realoem.com though. 

HEL lines here too, they came from the UK via amazon, the NZ sourced ones at the time were all funky colours :D 

• Like 1

34216780217 &  34216780218 - Right and Left 

Rear rotors were the hardest bits to find at sane prices, since AFAIK they only fit 130s with the BBK. I got the fancy pants brembo ones off german ebay for like $300NZD

Edited by Jacko
  • Thanks 1

If my plan comes together, like a cunning fox, then I'll be Frankensteining and using e39 M5 rear rotors... ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

If my plan comes together, like a cunning fox, then I'll be Frankensteining and using e39 M5 rear rotors... ??

Apparently you can trim pads down to fit or something similar? I considered it then found the brembo rotors for cheap. Finding 135 pads is piss easy, in any flavour you want. 

Edited by Jacko

1 minute ago, Jacko said:

Apparently you can trim pads down to fit or something similar?

Yep. Although it remains to be seen if the trimming is actually necessary, I haven't done any research on pad overhang...

4 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Yep. Although it remains to be seen if the trimming is actually necessary, I haven't done any research on pad overhang...

Can you get M5 rotors cheaper than this? - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/123588455233 

On 10/28/2019 at 7:52 AM, Jacko said:

It begin, along with an oil change and box/diff fluid.

What oil did you use for your gearbox/diff fluid and how many litres? Want to do mine so its all minty fresh. 

19 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

What oil did you use for your gearbox/diff fluid and how many litres? Want to do mine so its all minty fresh. 

Penrite Progear 75w90, shes a bit thicc on a cold morning but once up to temp is awesome sauce. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

Can you get M5 rotors cheaper than this? - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/123588455233 

Unlikely although I've not spent a lot of time looking. I do need to get the Euro v's USA M5 rotors though, that's a trick for the inexperienced. The US got gipped on the E39 M5, not as bad as the their E36 M3, but they still didn't get the real thing. 

7 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Penrite Progear 75w90, shes a bit thicc on a cold morning but once up to temp is awesome sauce. 

For both? Was just reading up about it and seems to be 75w80 for gearbox and 75w90 for diff. 

5 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

For both? Was just reading up about it and seems to be 75w80 for gearbox and 75w90 for diff. 

yup, but Im running the SMF which likes to have gear chatter with thinner oil. 

Bastards putting boxes on it my bonnet and watching them slide off.... 

121124274_10157194628542693_9164839586572817534_o.jpg

120938758_10157194706567693_7835337901945061292_o.jpg

121001739_10157194628297693_914341962214771751_o.jpg

• Like 2

Hopped back into the 130i, after driving the 1.5 CVT Ractis for about 3000km.... feels like a f**ken supercar in comparison :D 100% the best performance upgrade to a 130i is buy something slow.

Christmas holiday project is going to be replace rear wheel bearings, ship the diff off to Kayne to do the diff bearings and try to get some of the backlash out of the quaife, and start the birthday freshen up on a N52B30 to swap in. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got a new noise today, which is curious... not to sure. Its not bad or very scary, its just new :D

At about 110kmh and power on can hear a high pitched whine (its faint, like a distant high pitch drill), if I put the clutch in it goes away. Only seems to do it in 6th, and only ~110kmh (on the autobahn obviously)

Bearing in the gearbox? It doesnt seem to be engine speed, but more the wheel/box speed and only when having load on it. 

Edited by Jacko

22 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Got a new noise today, which is curious... not to sure. Its not bad or very scary, its just new :D

At about 110kmh and power on can hear a high pitched whine (its faint, like a distant high pitch drill), if I put the clutch in it goes away. Only seems to do it in 6th, and only ~110kmh (on the autobahn obviously)

Bearing in the gearbox? It doesnt seem to be engine speed, but more the wheel/box speed and only when having load on it. 

Clutch release bearing??

Just now, aja540i said:

Clutch release bearing??

Seems to be output rather than input into box, or it'd do it at a certain rpm rather than just at one road speed? 

Lack of downforce resolved :D 

130229429_10157312138202693_7426516431662035345_o.jpg

129392878_10157312138307693_4833471167134170088_o.jpg

• Like 4

That the factory rear wing it's sitting on Jacko? Looks waaaay bigger than I thought it would be!

Edited by leichtbau

10 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

That the factory rear wing it's sitting on Jacko? Looks waaaay bigger than I thought it would be!

It better be HUGE for 300 bucks! 😉

I'm keen to see how mine profiles on the non-Aero spoiler actually.

32 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

Yeah factory/dealer option Aero spoiler, Maxton lip sits on it - https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/body-kits/bmw/bmw-1-series/BMW-1-SERIES-E87/E87-1SERIES-FACELIFT/spoiler-cap-bmw-1-e81-e87

I think im going to think of a mechanical option to attach the Aero spoiler before installing the lip, better than the factory double sided tape. Im sick of retaping the edges down, Ive retaped and glued it twice now and edges keep lifting. A stealth self taper/pop rivet in each corner from the underside would solve it for good, with some rust protection.

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I think im going to think of a mechanical option to attach the Aero spoiler before installing the lip, better than the factory double sided tape. Im sick of retaping the edges down, Ive retaped and glued it twice now and edges keep lifting. A stealth self taper/pop rivet in each corner from the underside would solve it for good, with some rust protection.

I'm wondering if new tape, edge clamps (tailgate open) and some heat across the centre might not calm and confirm it a bit... what do you reckon? 

47 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I'm wondering if new tape, edge clamps (tailgate open) and some heat across the centre might not calm and confirm it a bit... what do you reckon? 

Tried it, industrial adhesive and clamped for over 2 days...it stuck for 6 months :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M3AN said:

It better be HUGE for 300 bucks! 😉

I'm keen to see how mine profiles on the non-Aero spoiler actually.

schmiedmann clearly charging by the square centimetre for shipping!

that lip looks bloody good too, should have got in on the group buy.

Edited by leichtbau