Jacko

BMW 130i - Birds B1 Dynamics etc etc etc

7 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Door cards look to be in great shape, good score!

yeah other than a little nick on the edge of one, they look new. 

• Like 1

nice score for sure. those speakers build quality looks fantastic too!

Little baby class D amp sits in there pretty good, tracing all the factory wiring to subs is a bit of a headscratcher... had to remove car to do it.

117660801_10157071164037693_4771167231096150682_o.jpg

117431224_10157070818862693_676245154690029505_o.jpg

• Haha 1

Nice! I really need to do something like this too. My car just has the base audio - no amp, no tweeters - and it is terrible!

The install instructions for the factory Alpine upgrade kit can be found online and it is pretty informative about where all the wires go to splice that into the factory wiring, if you still need to refer to something. Looks like you've got it pretty under control though!

• Like 1

I had a hunt through all the newtis.info wiring diagrams, and absolutely none of them match my car so multimeter and follow them under the carpets is the plan. It seems to be an odd config in the nz new ones, has subs and tweeters but no amp.. subs fronts tweeters are all driven from the front 2 channels... 

Im going to drive the 2 4 ohm subs in parallel from the 2ohm output of amp, so going to have to run another wire over the transmission tunnel as well. 

The 330 has the base audio system, and yeah.. it sucks :D 

How can I what factory system I have in the (black) car without pulling it apart? It has "BMW Navigation Professional", A-pillar tweeters and under seat subs but no amp that I can find.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

How can I what factory system I have in the (black) car without pulling it apart? It has "BMW Navigation Professional", A-pillar tweeters and under seat subs but no amp that I can find.

If it has nothing on the options list it is probably base I'd guess. Mine also has Nav/idrive but is base audio. Also, having tweeter pods on the A pillar doesn't guarantee having tweeters inside. My pods are just filled with a foam insert! Makes the tweeters easy to add if you want to though

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thats really odd, I wonder if mine has tweeters in the pods or not! (I havent looked yet, just assumed) There are definitely E87s with base stereos and no pods. My money is on it has tweeters in there as the 330 sounds like a bag of dicks with its no tweeters (or pods). Some E87s got tweeters in the rear as well.

There seems to be a bunch on confusion on whats what depending on region, as they all seem to vary. Mine had "professional" headunit factory. 

Edited by Jacko

Yeah there definitely seems to be a pick and mix of options! I always assumed mine had tweeters too until I had to remove the pod to replace some trim and realised there was nothing inside ?

Edited by Matt

Can say 100% that amping the factory subs is definitely worth it. Whole thing just works better, unloaded the 50x4 from headunit and everything just goes louder and stays clearer. Can actually feel the subs working in the trim now :D

• Like 1

Not particularly representative of the sound quality, but you get the idea. This is still all stock speakers, waiting on the inner door handles to be dropped off by courier before I pull the door cards and replace speakers.

This is why they lost the war! No tweeters.. but tweeter pods.

118027078_10157081448367693_4797544736887099220_o.jpg

• Haha 1

Yes, I discovered mine has no tweeters on the weekend after the discussion here... ? but I think I can just add some tweeters, just need to find the right ones.

But I removed my tweeter pod without separating the grill ? any reason you took that route?

There ya go, not just me!! I've ordered the hifi loud speakers for mine, PN 65-13-6-964-013. Should arrive today actually! They should be plug and play into the existing housing, and the woofer in the door. May need some tweaks to the EQ though possibly as there will now be a lot more treble presumably.

Really want to figure out a plan to add an amp, but really want it to be as plug and play as possible, but it all looks so confusing when I look online...

23 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Yes, I discovered mine has no tweeters on the weekend after the discussion here... ? but I think I can just add some tweeters, just need to find the right ones.

But I removed my tweeter pod without separating the grill ? any reason you took that route?

The top grip tab so jammed had to go for the double tap to get it to release without smashing the pod!

The pair of blaupunkts with tweeters were pretty well priced, considering the other options like Focal - https://www.jonvy.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=7604&search=BMW . Once Rona stops screwing with my income, Ill probably replace the subs and rear speakers with the blaupunkt options. 

Whats really curious now is that my E91 has identical speakers and subs to the 130, and it sounds like total balls in comparison. Im actually wondering if the stock headunits amp is fried.

Edited by Jacko

Well $300 buck for 4 speakers is certainly better than $240 + shipping for just the BMW tweeters! ? But I'm probably too tight to fork out for the Blaupunkts at the moment.

All done and installed, massive improvement in sound quality. Way less muffled sounding mids and the tweeters obviously make a notable difference to the highs. It now goes past painfully loud without distortion too!

Style 193s in 8 and 8.5" just too see what they sit like, fitments OK... dunno though. Its sitting a bit high due to jacking and not settling. (They need refurbing and the tyres are totally dead) 

118211628_10157105480937693_3096848001082283816_o.jpg

118285105_10157105480682693_8437192120651345823_o.jpg

118589480_10157105480527693_3808483082267330691_o.jpg

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

Hey Chris, when you did your brakes did you have to change the rear dust covers to fit the BMWP callipers? 

12 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Hey Chris, when you did your brakes did you have to change the rear dust covers to fit the BMWP callipers? 

Yup, changed the fronts too, apparently you can bash em into fitting, but for a couple of bucks I just bought the right ones.

Be aware, the ass end ones require disassembling the wheel bearing to replace... but a bit of work with an angle grinder to cut a slot solves that issue. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, M3AN said:

@M3AN, here's the install instructions from BMW, if that's helpful ?

BMWP Brake install.pdf

Thanks guys, it's interesting that the instructions stipulate new front plates but to trim the stock rear ones... @Jacko did you buy new rear plates? Can't put your finger on a part number can you?

Also, did you get your braided lines and rotors locally or from abroad? Either way, whereabouts?

Cheers. ?