Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

BBS RC Refurb questions

I’ve got two sets of BBS RC wheels, 090 (style 5s) and 304.

The 090’s have minimal curbing and the plan is to polish the lips, clean the centres (paint if needed), tidy the hardware (probably plate them) and eventually BBS RS style centre caps.

However I’m not sure what tool(s) I’ll need to remove the bolts. I’m also assuming they can be reused.

The 304’s on the other hand have been rattle can’d black by the PO to hide a fair amount of curbing. Finish wise I was thinking paint strip and repaint in another colour and get some new BBS centre caps (rather than mangled BMW badges like they currently have).

The curbing will need to be addressed, what’s the best procedure for this? Pay someone (e.g. wheel magician), bog them, special wheel repair stuff(?) or get a mate to weld them and then file it down.

I’ll post some pictures tonight.

I found this really helpful for mine.

as the wheels aren't on your wagon and you can take your time, I'd consider pre-finishing them yourself.  Panel shops often hate the prep-work required to sand/fill/prep wheels.  So if you've got them smoothed and ready, then have them 2k baked at a Panelbeaters.  Much more durable finish.

Or you could do the home finish... even get hold of 2k rattle cans!  Wear appropriate PPE, and try not to vent to your neighbours place, yeah?

RC centers usually hold up well, the factory paint on them is quite tough. Bolts have to tapped out, lots of ways to do it (google) but i soak in penetrating oil and use a long center punch and hammer, the bolt ends also have a little recess on them which helps. I use a padded dead blow hammer to knock them back in

I get the curbing machined if its deep or sand out any mirror stuff on polished lipped rims. Id probably fill and paint if non polished.

So just the appropriate socket and then tap the bolt out? The paint does seem good, so I’ll see how clean I can get it.

Some of the curbing on the 304s.

0D21B41D-98CF-4C2E-ADB4-70E4F8F15049.thumb.jpeg.8d30d7bd341a14fca86da6d5d9784560.jpeg

51E643EA-2484-4EBA-813F-698F3D50AFC5.thumb.jpeg.614fa8c68b01bb712638ad3c4ccbb320.jpeg

85504D8A-32B4-4DDB-84AA-E1B47A5C842E.thumb.jpeg.f50673598b3c127ff3ab11669c35f420.jpeg

Yep 10mm double hex. You can also wind the nuts off half way off the bolts, leave the socket and a extension attached and hit them with a hammer to assist bolt removal

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 8:11 AM, Gabe79 said:

I found this really helpful for mine.

Probably the most relevant youtube ad I've ever seen...

wheel.thumb.png.63919ced93378b557bdfd29ad3af2008.png

• Like 2