Sign in to follow this  
qube

The only upgrade that made sense

50 minutes ago, qube said:

just ticked over 109,000 after the new years road trip and did an oil change.

exactly 8500kms since the last one. man the oil was filty and the engine sounds like brand new now..

What type of oil are you using? 

Kyu, I'm sure your 8k oil change remains well less than the recommendation under condition-based servicing, and approximates a 5000mi change.  You're well ahead of the pack.  If it's black, it's suspending the sh*t, better than leaving it in the engine! ?  Yes I'm sure others will question this 'logic'. ?

I still believe that 5-6k km oil & filter is "cheap" insurance (radical Sxx motor oil requirements aside), if you're weilding the spanners yourself.  OEM filters* & quality synthetic oil** purchased in 20 litre quantities sees me change oil/oil filter/air filter for well under $100 (8 litres for e60).

* Hengst or Mann

** Penrite HPR5 (5W40) full synthetic BMW LL01 

• Like 2

I get 3x 5L bottles of castrol edge for $120 and either get oem or genuine filters for $10-35.

At 6-6.5L capacity, my oil change costs me less than $100, probably even $60-70 if i pre order the filters from overseas. 

Very cheap indeed. 

Mind you,  i had the valvetronic and eccentric shaft replaced not long ago which is a head off job so its probably good i changed the oil now. 

Its really hard to fault this car as an all rounder but gotta make sure to keep plenty of change as parts are expensive..

• Like 1

Cleaned the front end a bit by wrapping the v brace in gloss white vinyl. 

D79F5558-AA53-4F39-9DAD-3BA575BCB27C.jpeg

DB26DE8B-35EA-4F7B-A55D-1CD8DDDFE8D8.jpeg

• Like 1

charge pipe exploded so have ordered replacement aluminum charge pipe and boost pipe too..

will probably get an intake pipe and maybe a different airbox too sooner or later.

• Sad 1

Update:

have fitted new chargepipe and boost pipe car runs sweet now

Bought new air intake not yet fitted

fitted some bbs wheels and re003 tyres

then bought more wheels :)

am thinking about possibly selling the car and downgrading to something cheaper. 

I have spent heaps on it already and would have to sell it for a reasonable price in order for this to make sense but the market value has dropped to low mid 20s now and mine has ticked over 115000kms. 

Was really hoping to keep this for longer if possible its easily one of the best all round car ive had. Size is spot on for me and practical yet fun to drive.

if i sell it might mean a return to the ol classic e39 platform otherwise will be a 130i hatch again probably. 

Why sell it? 

• Like 1

if it fits what you want why would you let it go?

if its because its loosing money, well thats just cars for you, until you get something old and rare it will continue to happen.

Seeing if i can free up a bit of extra cash for a house deposit. 20k in hand will help more than having to pay the high interest rate on the high lvr lending. 

Definitely its not because the car loses value i am well aware of that but if i need to cash out then better sooner than later. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, qube said:

having to pay the high interest rate on the high lvr lending. 

Rubbish. the rate is the same regardless, the bank just want a safer position, and 20k over 800k or so is very little.
Talk to a mortgauge broker instead.

47 minutes ago, qube said:

Seeing if i can free up a bit of extra cash for a house deposit. 20k in hand will help more than having to pay the high interest rate on the high lvr lending. 

Definitely its not because the car loses value i am well aware of that but if i need to cash out then better sooner than later. 

Buying and selling at the moment, goes unconditional tomorrow... (fingers crossed... lots of garage and workshop ;) ) banks are finicky at the moment.  5 years ago they were happy to throw money at us for first home, now they are crossing i's and dotting t's much more seriously, and even having more of a cash deposit can make the difference between an offer being accepted or not.  If you want a mortgage broker who is a legit good guy hollah, have a guy from Mike Pero who rate really highly. 

+1 the low equity rate penalty doesn't matter, having a sweet car does matter.

• Like 2

I know 20k isnt a big deal but that might just put me over the threshold to be eligible for a normal lending as opposed to high lvr which prompts an extra 0.75-1.25% on the interest rate.

I am also keeping in mind that once I throw away money on a deposit I wont have much spare to keep up with maintenance on a high performance car like this. I have spent almost $5k on it already and thats partly because I bought private and without mechanical insurance. there were some big ticket fixes that were required unfortunately and I cannot guarantee that it will ever be 100% fixed (its a BMW afterall)

But Andy you are right, 20k over 800k is little indeed. I am looking further south and a bit cheaper around the 600-700k but still not a huge difference.

Chris will pm you.

Logan you're not helping. and my 318ti is pretty sweet.

• Like 1

Mortgage rated are good at the mo. Just re-secured 2 years fixed at 4.05% with BNZ via Squirrel, who have been great to deal with.

20 hours ago, qube said:

it is expected to rise about 1% soon but who knows.

Base rate could be going down - again.
Yet Aussie banks have been reaming Kiwis on loans for many years. No telling what they'll do, especialy given they're facing big fines back home.

I know it's a different market these days, but we signed up and had the 1% rate penalty, it only took us a year or so for that to go away as we had capital gains sort it out for us.  The 1% difference didn't make us even blink.

Also, if 1% additional rate is going to cause you concern now then you really can't afford the mortgage anyway.  You should be comfortable being able to afford at least a 3-5% rate increase.  I would hate to see you lose on the 135i after putting some time and money in it.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 2

the repayments arent an issue even if it comes down to 3-5% increases, although its always nice to keep the fixed outgoing down to a minimum. 

I agree also with what you say with the capital gains to sort it out in the first year or so. I think its find to put a fixed rate for 1 year then re-evaluate.

If it hasnt been covered by the capital gains/revalue of the house then I can put a lump sum amount on floating and pay that off quicker along with the regular payments in order to bring the overall cost down faster.

the real difficulty is fronting up with 20% (or close to it) which is big bucks when houses are north of 800k. 

I would also hate losing on this car, its probably the one thing that will keep me happy having to deal with much much longer commute times that is undoubtedly my future. ha!

Keep say 10k on floating so as you pay it off and if the car breaks then you can pull some of it out to pay for the repair. I do instead of saving so I pay less on the mortgage. Have to be careful not to overspend on it however

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 10:10 PM, qube said:

Update:

fitted some bbs wheels and re003 tyres

then bought more wheels :)

You bought more wheels?!

???

• Like 1

Wheel god.  Yes, I think that suits you.  I expect you’ll need a t-shirt with appropriate graphic!

hell, I have just three sets of wheels in my basement workshop, Mrs Olaf and the Olaf juniors have been prodding me about “so many wheels”.  I must remember to mention “Kyu, God of Wheels” for appropriate perspective! ?

To be honest, I only have 3 sets of wheels now.. plus a trio of wheels (looking for a 4th style 66) :)

but probably have another set coming soon so dont worry

• Haha 1

@qube keep the car! Just sell me your MPE ?