Sign in to follow this  
JacobQ

Dynamic Drive failure

So I bought a 2006 550i this week and when I did a u-turn last night, I had a warning sound and a yellow dash light pop up saying Dynamic Drive inactive. It went away when I turned the car off and on again until I went around a corner (when I assume the Dynamic Drive was trying to work again). It did this a couple of times until this afternoon where a red dash light popped up and a warning message on iDrive saying Dynamic Drive failure. I have read other threads that indicate the battery but those usually display other warning messages too where I'm only getting one and it seems to be linked to cornering. Any ideas guys? I bought it from a dealership and it's still within 30 days and I have a mechanical warranty but thought I'd look here for an easier solution first. Cheers!

Great car.

Check the power steering fluid. It's the same fluid as used for the ARS (Active Roll Stabilsation), and *MUST* be Pentosin CHF-11S and *not* automatic trans fluid as in so many other cars.

Low fluid can cause the issue you're seeing.

If fluid is low, then you need to find where it is going. First place to look is the ARS actuators underneath the car.: rear one is behind the rear wheels, front one is in front of the front wheels.

You could have an ARS sensor out of calibration - BMW dealers may be able to reset this.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 2

Thanks for the help Graham, I'll look into that. Hoping it's not a big issue and is an easy fix!

Let us know how you get on.

Welcome, @JacobQ  gotta love a V8 e60!  I think on the whole Dynamic Drive is pretty reliable, so hopefully not too difficult to sort.

We need pics, man.  If only to satisfy the e60 desire!

cheers

Hey mate. I had a similar problem on my 654ci a couple of years back. Fairly common problem in my case. A rubber boot on the hydraulic actuator in the front sway bar would leak, casing the error (and wasting expensive fluid). I found a diy online that calls for the boot to removed, cleaned, reaffixed with gasket sealer and secured with a plumbing clamp. Was a 30 minute job on my 6-er and the problem went away. BWM would want to replace the entire sway bar $$$ ultimately the error codes would be helpful too.

Here's a link to the fix...I did mine without remkving the unit tough: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1432870