Sign in to follow this  
tonton

slow cranking

hey guys, my e60 does exactly what is shown in this video

the author of the video points it to corroded grounding cables for the engine, but some say its the starter. can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks!

yes have seen bad earth strap conections on e60 e64 etc , from where the steel chassis conects to the ali front rails etc ,

and the rear straps etc

3 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

yes have seen bad earth strap conections on e60 e64 etc , from where the steel chassis conects to the ali front rails etc ,

and the rear straps etc

do you guys do earthing strap replacements? 

I would suggest getting it checked properly before throwing money at it when you don't actually know whats causing the issue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

I would suggest getting it checked properly before throwing money at it when you don't actually know whats causing the issue

i've already scanned my car with a scanner, no error codes or anything. probably going to try directly earthing the engine with a jumper and see if it solves the slow crank issue. if not, then it's probably the starter going bad soon 

Hardly a fault that is likely to throw a code. You are obviously guessing the fault by your diagnosis. As Glenn said - get it checked properly.

16 hours ago, tonton said:

do you guys do earthing strap replacements? 

loosen earth strap bolts then retighten

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 335i did that exact same thing. I put it on the trickle charger overnight and it seems to have made it waaaaayyyyyy better. these battery needs a good charge once in awhile.  Try that before doing anything else.  connect charger to the engine bay point rather than battery 

12 hours ago, Whatchain said:

My 335i did that exact same thing. I put it on the trickle charger overnight and it seems to have made it waaaaayyyyyy better. these battery needs a good charge once in awhile.  Try that before doing anything else.  connect charger to the engine bay point rather than battery 

ahhh i see. Will try that out! Theres also a possibility that my battery is already old. I've checked my earth straps and they look to be in fairly okay condition. 

either a good charge of new battery. the charge has fixed the slow crank for awhile but i was told by auto electrician it's doesnt bring it up to the charge level it should be (40 to 50%). in saying that my battery is over 5 years old so well overdue for a new one. expect about $270 for a new AGM battery. 

On 8/20/2018 at 8:33 AM, BM WORLD said:

loosen earth strap bolts then retighten

Used to do that all the time when I was an apprentice auto sparky.