Sign in to follow this  
1M2GO

1M trademe thoughts ?

5 hours ago, blake12 said:

How is it more exciting? In a straight line? 

I found my old 200 horsepower fwd honda more exciting than my 335i on MD stage 2! Steering feel, road feedback, noise, engagement etc. 

I don't see how a 335i can be labelled an exciting car  unless you've completely revamped the suspension, the exhaust and added a LSD 

Type/Euro R Hondas are a hard car to beat for handling, so its stupid comparing them to a high power German bruiser. Yes, almost everything "drivability" related, except outright speed is better, but thats because they are designed to be lightweight sports cars. Its amazing how well my car is handling being a daily, with a lovely comfortable and quiet interior, but turns into an animal with the push of the throttle.

I wouldn't say the E91 is an amazing handler, especially as mine is on standard Msport suspension, but in the twisties its still a lot of fun, and there is nothing like punching it out of a corner, having the turbos spool and off you go like a rocket, to get the heart racing. The E91 also feels solid, and planted, like a good late model German car.

The M3 was quick, but it never really had much "excitement" in how it drove. The linear power band just meant it kept pulling and getting faster, but with no sense of urgency or occasion, and certainly nothing like the push of a turbo.

My exhaust is standard from downpipes back, except for the "golf tee" mod. I have catless downpipes. It makes a fantastic noise, a nice deep growl with pops and crackles on the over run. The M3 was very raspy, which im actually not that much of a fan of.

Yes, I have an LSD, as all 335is should (but dont).

If you didnt find your 335i exciting, either it was broken, modded wrong, or you didnt drive it hard enough.

Edited by KwS

have you driven any other E9X such as 325i/330i to compare chassis agains the n54 power?

also have you driven the newer F chassis with N55 or similar to compare same power with the completely different feeling in terms of handling etc?

Nope, my point is completely based on the E91 335i being exciting, anything else is irrelevant

Anyway, this whole argument is irrelevant. 

• Like 2

Old thread revived.

Currently seven 1Ms listed on Trade Me including this very nice low kms VO example at a realistic asking price.

NZ 1M prices lag behind the UK, Europe and US but everywhere there's a significant premium for low kms. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2384982367.htm?rsqid=86fe334c1f0d4aee9c5dffa5e24d6a54-001

Yes the demand has fallen off for these cars., not only here.You only have to look how long some of them have been for sale, well over 12 months in some cases, and one or two here in NZ coming up for close to two years. While you suggest there is a significant premium, the only way to make a sale is to discount that.

• Like 1

At that kind of money I'd be into an M2.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bandit said:

Yes the demand has fallen off for these cars., not only here.You only have to look how long some of them have been for sale, well over 12 months in some cases, and one or two here in NZ coming up for close to two years. While you suggest there is a significant premium, the only way to make a sale is to discount that.,

I agree some of the 1M sellers on TM would need to drop their asking price to make a quick sale.

It's probably not a bad time to be looking for a 1M - with good examples available in all three colours and seven cars to choose from.

A premium applies for 1Ms with low kms. I recently paid asking price for a one-owner 7,800kms car and traded a good 51,000kms example on it. A 20% premium in return for 43,000 fewer kms made good sense to me.

The 27,000kms Valencia Orange car on TM could be good value, and the vendor appears to want a quick, clean sale. Right colour, sensible asking price and low kms. Be interesting to see how long it stays on the market.

Edited by integrale

Heck with current prices maybe I should sell the M3 ($38k) and the 130i ($10k) and daily this... for $0 extra investment. ?

• Like 1

Thats got to be one of the cheapest 1Ms in the world?

E36 M3’s are $38k now? ?

*pops the e39 M5 in bubble wrap*

• Like 1

i wonder if this is a true market price given the kms.. definitely much cheaper than the rest and much easier to envision getting into one that this price point

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

Heck with current prices maybe I should sell the M3 ($38k) and the 130i ($10k) and daily this... for $0 extra investment. ?

you would be crazy not to ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

Thats got to be one of the cheapest 1Ms in the world?

No, been on a steady decline for since late 2018. The gloss has long gone , COVID19 has seen a lot of car owners (not only our brand) make some serious readjustments to their automotive stables. Earlier in the week a E93 M3  in Silverstone II with excellent history and recent PPI changed hands on the open market for $24.3k. 

IMO good buying for this VO car would be at the early $40k mark.Unfortunately having owned one, we  discovered that we much prefer and love the N/A six cylinder, and found the 1M devoid of both soul, and spirit when pressing on.

The lowest priced 1M I’ve seen advertised anywhere. Provided it’s been well cared for I'd think v low $50ks would be fair value - now E46 M3 money.

Truly exceptional 1M’s (low kms/ owners) have retained their value – viz Coombes Johnson’s 12,000km/ $85k example that sold quickly earlier this year and my 7,800km VO car mid last year. Ultimately export-potential underpins the value of these ‘garage-queens’.

NZ’s relatively high number of 1M’s means more well-used examples are regularly available and consequently less sought-after (A rather tired black 1M eventually sold in the $40ks last year).

Definitely don’t share your disappointment re 1M performance ?.

Edited by integrale

Do 1Ms suffer all the same reliability issues as other N54 models?

2 hours ago, KwS said:

Do 1Ms suffer all the same reliability issues as other N54 models?

I've heard yes - it's just an N54 after all. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, str8_6 said:

E36 M3’s are $38k now? ?

*pops the e39 M5 in bubble wrap*

I didn't think so but one sold in less than 24h for $37k last week... and I reckon mine's $1k better... ?

Is it only me that would have reservations about buy a car from a TradeMe account that has a negative feedback rating? That really does take some doing!

49 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Is it only me that would have reservations about buy a car from a TradeMe account that has a negative feedback rating? That really does take some doing!

Interesting, seller has been on Trade Me for 10 years, only one transaction and was negative ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eh, dont buy sight unseen, do all the checks, get a PPI. Doesnt really matter who you buy it from then.

• Like 2

That’s bloody cheap for a 1M, but it’s interesting that of the 47 that came into NZ, barely half of them have ever been openly traded. Implies that there’s two markets - one for collectors and one for people who want to drive them. No bad thing, just an observation.

• Like 1

Interesting info. How do you keep up-to-date on their sales history?

I just keep an eye on the TM market and see what's for sale - NZTA broke down the registrations as 11 in 2011, 28 in 2012 and 8 in 2013 (and the UK import that's been for sale forever), but I've only ever seen 25 for sale. Implies that people are hanging onto them or they're being traded behind closed doors. It's the same cars that constantly pop up for sale as well.

I don't see much value in tracking their pricing - they're a car entirely dependent on condition, modifications, and what side of the bed the seller woke up that morning. I think there's probably another $15-20K to come out of their market value, but in saying that your orange one was a bargain imho!

In South Africa they're down around $60K NZD for a driven one and $90K NZD for a sub 5000km example. The pricing in Australia is also roughly similar. UK slightly higher, but that's always been the case when cross shopping due to numerous factors.

There was also one registered new in NZ in May 2014... currently on 8,100km.

D95864A0-AC5A-43B9-BA9A-A038DD9A29B8.jpeg