Sign in to follow this  
Joseph02

BMW service

Hi guys, I'm a BMW noob who recently bought the 116i. 

I need advise on a couple of things that I'm not really sure about. 

So for maintenance, how do you guys normally do it? 

As I don't have special tool kit to replace parts on my own and don't have much info of where to buy the parts, would it be better to

go the the authorised bmw repairer to do the service? Coz one of my friend sold his BMW as every service cost him about 1k~1.2k. So I'm bit worried.

And since I have the mechanical warranty from autosure, one of the requirements is to get a stamp when service is done from workshop. 

Do you guys normally do all of the easy thing by yourself? or just buy the parts with cheaper price and hand it to authorised dealer to carry out the work? 

Can any of you kind folk recommend me mechanic/technician/workshop/service centre in Auckland? 

I typically do all the maintenence on my BMWs. For a couple of reasons a) gives me a chance to check the condition of other components b) cheaper c) fun and interesting if all goes to plan d) I know the work is actually being carried out aka I don't trust alot of mechanics. 

I also have Autosure Insurance on our newer wagon, so had to succumb to taking it in for a service to stamp the book. Found it quite pricey for the actual work being carried out and then when I got it home I found the lid of the air box not installed. Well known and recommended BMW servicing establishment too. 

Have been using FCP Euro to order parts. Have a good, cheap range and parts typically arrive within a week. 

Obviously dependent on your situation/space I'd recommend investing in some tools and DIY if the budget is tight. Find a professional on YouTube and seek advice on jobs from the wealth of knowledge on forums ?

• Like 1

Yeah I would love to buy some tools to do it on my own.

So when you have Autosure Insurance, you have to take your car in for a service to get the stamp.

What if I do like oil change and filter, brake pads etc., on my own and go to workshop to get the stamp?

I guess that can save some money? I heard getting service at the workshop is okay with reasonable price than dealership. 

Edited by Joseph02

They're not going to give you the stamp if you do the servicing unfortunately. As far as Autosure is concerned they're after someone reliable to protect their risk. Needs to be MTA assured. 

If you look through the Autosure leaflet it will explain what needs servicing when and by who. 

Thanks millions for your comment.

Do you think the machanical warranty is worth it? Since i can’t really do the servicing by myself..... and since my warranty state that my car may be serviced at recognised service facility, can I go independent shop to get my car serviced??

Edited by Joseph02

For me with my E91? Yes. But totally depends on each person. I purchased the 3 year warranty because I wasn't familiar with anything newer than an E46 at the time or repair costs if a motor/gearbox was to implode. I'm the first owner since it's import from Japan and I didn't have a clue on the reliability of the N52N or its gearbox. Older models I don't bother because their engines etc are a dime a dozen (mostly) on TM or a wreckers. 

Since my ownership I've had problems with misfires (replaced coils & plugs), valve cover gasket due to leaks, various suspension components due to noise and idler pulleys as they are notorious for sending N52's to an early grave. Yes I could have given Autosure a call, but wasn't worth the excess. 

Yes, the warranty was a good idea.

You can take the car to an independant service centre, they are just as good and will be less expensive that a BMW main dealer. Altough most places don't allow you to bring your own parts unless it's agreed beforehand so make sure you discuss this first.

There are a number of good independants in and around Auckland we can recommend depending on where you live. What suburb are you in?

I live in Henderson but don't mind go up to north or down in south or in city centre if it's reliable independants. 

Maybe the independant that allows me to bring parts will be preferred. I looked upon forum and heard BM workshop is reliable and professional. Any other recommendation? Cheers 

You'll need to keep the receipts of the servicing if you plan on claiming on Autosure, stamps are not enough so best to use garage supplied parts for servicing

BM Workshop are highly recommended, if you head to the Shore often then Bellars Motor Works are also excellent.

You'll need to discuss with them their position on parts but your starting assumption should be that they won't allow you to bring your own. Fluids are a different story if you have specific (suitable) ones to use (but still discuss first).

These shops (and a few others in and around Auckland) come recommended not only because they provide good service but because they provide quality parts and back up their workmanship. It's difficult (read: not going to happen) for a shop to guarantee a part if they've not made some margin on it, keep that in mind.

18 hours ago, Gaz said:

You'll need to keep the receipts of the servicing if you plan on claiming on Autosure, stamps are not enough so best to use garage supplied parts for servicing

If I keep the receipts of parts that I bought and I replace by myself, would they decline the claim in the future? 

I don't know... feel like warranty is quite annoying. 

15 hours ago, M3AN said:

It's difficult (read: not going to happen) for a shop to guarantee a part if they've not made some margin on it, keep that in mind.

Yeah ture. Thanks  

2 hours ago, Joseph02 said:

If I keep the receipts of parts that I bought and I replace by myself, would they decline the claim in the future? 

I don't know... feel like warranty is quite annoying. 

Yes they will decline it as they can't confirm the quality of the work and when the work was carried out. Warranty can come in handy for when oil either leaks from every gasket, valve stem seals fail, or the timing chain fails

I see. much appreciated for your knowledge. So is this mean those guys who does DIY do not have Mechanical warranty??

As long as periodic servicings stated by Autosure are caries out by a MTA assured mechanic. 

How much did you pay for your 116i if you dont mind sharing?

And how much did you spend on the autosure warranty?

How long do you plan to keep the car and is it the only car you have?

too many variables, so many opinions, no right or wrong answers, but since you dont have tools or knowledge, take the car to a workshop, expect to spend $500+ each service at least and learn about cars for the future/next BMW you may or may not buy. 

Also, mech warranty is bloody annoying and only really useful for big major issues and it is kind of redundant on a cheap car like the 116i but then again the 116i is pretty unreliable so you may be lucky with the warranty in a year or so if it decides to break down.

• Like 2

I bought this 116i E87 2012(52000km) for $17995 and $1550 for 3 yrs warranty. This is the only car I’ve got and plan to keep this car for 3-5 yrs. Yeah i guess ill just go to workshop to get the service done and learn more about the car step by step. 

Edited by Joseph02

I really hope you didnt pay almost $20k on an E87.

Do you mean you got an F20 116i? 

Image result for e87 vs f20

I also have a F20 116i, 2012 with over 105,000kms now.

These cars are pretty good, you dont have a lot to worry about, just get oil and filter service done AT LEAST every 10,000kms at the latest. 

That is the biggest and easiest thing to keep in mind to make sure your engine stays in good condition.

Make sure you get it changed with genuine filter and good quality good brand engine oil (5W30 grade)

There is heaps of modifications you can do to make this car fast but then your warranty will be declined so better not do anything haha

14 minutes ago, qube said:

I also have a F20 116i, 2012 with over 105,000kms now.

These cars are pretty good, you dont have a lot to worry about, just get oil and filter service done AT LEAST every 10,000kms at the latest. 

That is the biggest and easiest thing to keep in mind to make sure your engine stays in good condition.

Make sure you get it changed with genuine filter and good quality good brand engine oil (5W30 grade)

There is heaps of modifications you can do to make this car fast but then your warranty will be declined so better not do anything haha

Thats good to hear. Do you have bluetooth and radio on your 116i? Coz i dont have it on my car and it cost 1 k to install the bluetooth. 

I have bluetooth music/calling and NZ radio on my 116i japanese import but no GPS maps

do you have photo of your car interior? is it standard spec or sport or msport spec?

there are lots of different version of options. my 116 is a high spec sports model

You have two choices with the warranty servicing.

A. Stop trying to cheap out on parts, get the service done properly and by the book and be able to claim on warranty

B. Use cheap parts you supply yourself, DIY it (and potentially stuff it up since you appear to have little experience) bugger the warranty and foot the bill for any issues that come up

No point whinging about it, you should have read the terms and conditions booklet before you purchased the warranty, its all very clearly outlined in there.

Me personally, if i had forked out the cash for the warranty, i would just service it by the book and be done with it. When the warranty ends, get a couple of helpful, BMW knowledgeable friends together and learn to DIY it.

• Like 3

problem is a lot of places charge an arm and a leg for parts that could be bought for much cheaper overseas/elsewhere but then they wont allow you to supply the parts. only certain type of workshops allow that and usually those places cannot stamp the books for mech warranty.

so build a relationship with a garage. there are heaps of good ones.

your car being quite new and not too problematic I would say just get it serviced as necessary (this is open to interpretation - according to the computer a service is due every 25000kms or so, I think oil needs to be changed every 10,000kms on the 116i at least) and make sure you satisfy the requirements for the mech warranty incase of major failure.

I personally would have put the $1550 you spent on the warranty in a savings account and/or used it to fix/do maintenance but its a bit late now