Sign in to follow this  
adro

1990 E30 325i SE

22 hours ago, lemusa said:

Car looks mint!

Don't tell us what the right price is for your E39. I'm justifying my spending on the E39 with the knowledge that it still cost less than your original asking price haha. As soon as I pass that point I might start pestering you again ?

Ha don't worry, I won't tell.

On 8/25/2020 at 3:30 PM, Olaf said:

Most of the play in my steering disappeared after we replaced steering guibo (and fasteners), inner and outer tie rods on each end.  There remains a little play, though it's vastly diminished.  I don't recall - have you replaced any of that lot?

Still looking for that opportunity for you to drive it again - it's a world away from what you drove on Alexandra Rd! ?

No i haven't done either of those yet. I was thinking it would be all in one hit when I decide what to do about the rack, although I hadn't considered the steering guibo. Good to know @Olaf.

Changed the brake fluid and headed up to Manfield for the MG CC / constructors CC Driver training/shake down track day at Manfield. Was a super fun day throwing the E30 round. Low drama day of redlines and yarns. Shout out to @skidz for the race suit. 

50391933202_bc3a46d7f3_c.jpg

^ photo: Jarod Carruthers  

50391943917_93aa18410b_b.jpg

AVP_6835AVP_6838

Edited by adro
  • Like 6

Thought it was your car I spotted there. Looked great on the track. 

2 minutes ago, KwS said:

Thought it was your car I spotted there. Looked great on the track. 

Oh you were there, woulda been keen for a yarn. Next time! 

1 hour ago, adro said:

Oh you were there, woulda been keen for a yarn. Next time! 

I was just floating around as a lowly spectator. Some great machines on the track for sure. 

• Like 1

Just binged this thread again - such a beautiful car and brilliant photography - need more!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sammo said:

Just binged this thread again - such a beautiful car and brilliant photography - need more!

Thanks. Cars just ticked over 125,000km I think. Isn’t seeing much use as the wagons running great now. Don’t think I have any photos I haven’t already posted so might be time to go shoot some new ones. 

51195847775_8fbd7e4b52_b.jpg AVP_0960

• Like 2

Definitely have to catch up one day @adro , you’ve done ALL the things I want to do to mine ... one day!

20 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Definitely have to catch up one day @adro , you’ve done ALL the things I want to do to mine ... one day!

Yeah for sure @E28E30

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

@adro are your rear tyres on correctly?

I think so? What doesn’t look right to you? 

5 minutes ago, adro said:

I think so? What doesn’t look right to you? 

Yep you're good -  my bad. I thought they were directional as well as asymmetric.

51280784574_fa96ea2e0c_b.jpg
Survived the south coast storm last night. Parked the E46 on higher ground as iv spent double what it’s insured for so with a clear driveway I took the E30 out for an errand run today. Shot this on some old glass mounted via multiple adapters to a new mirrorless body. The mirrorless body has focus peaking making the old manual focus lenses more accurate and actually usable. This is the 80mm in the photo but the photo was taken with a 150mm F4 Hasselblad C series lens. With the 35mm crop factor it turns a 150 into an 85mm. Is it better than the 85mm Nikon lens….probably not, but it has a nice softness to it which I think resonates with the romance of E30’s. 

51280084461_50c9d98f86_b.jpg

51280784569_5939ba6e89_b.jpg

Edited by adro
  • Like 8

WOF passed with the same note i've been getting for the last 5 years that there's a bit of play in the steering rack (which there definitely is). Finally took it out for an errand run, had to remember how to change gear.

Steering wheel had gotten a bit dry so gave it some mothers conditioner.

This car has been converted to R134A by the previous owner and I'm glad to say the recent aircon gas up has worked a treat..it's not that warm in Wellington but these cars are such glass houses they really heat up in the sun.

DSC_9522

Edited by adro
  • Like 7

Looks fantastic!

Want to swap for a 'superior' E46 🤣

Gotta catch up - you can compare your low-mileage ‘lots of play’ to my 263k new rack ends and steering guibo for comparison 🙂

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

Looks fantastic!

Want to swap for a 'superior' E46 🤣

If your car was a touring I’d say yes. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, adro said:

If your car was a touring I’d say yes. 

Hmmm itchy trigger finger notes “Silver SE could be prized out of Adro’s @adro hands…”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

125,xxx km

Did a routine yearly oil change a few weeks back. Penrite 20W-60 mineral and filter.

51781632990_d93d5fe003_b.jpg

As per @Olafs thread, we met up and took some photos. I had cleaned it the week before hoping to get to the Southwards meet. I did make it, just in the E46 instead....swapping car seats around really is a PITA.

DSC_1201 DSC_1200-2 51779909398_e5a0d8f26c_b.jpg

• Like 6

@adro Deciding what oil to go for with mine - not sure what its had in the past but came with a half full bottle of Penrite Synth 10w40.

Do you rate the 20W60? I know these were designed for Mineral oils and presumably 20w50 - I would be changing oil and filter at least every 5000km.

Id keep running that and monitor usage. 20W is NZ is usually for band aid for a smoker, can't see why you'd run it otherwise.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Id keep running that and monitor usage. 20W is NZ is usually for band aid for a smoker, can't see why you'd run it otherwise.

I’m not sure if it’s been run / consistently run on the 10w40 synth to be honest.

Looking at my manual, for our climate (-10c to 40c), BMW suggests 20w50 (car may be driven in 10c a few times a year if that).

Mine isn’t smoking (not sure on consumption yet) but it has done almost 400km.

Id say that chart is based on whatever mineral oil they were using at the time period. Modern synthetics are far superior.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

I’m not sure if it’s been run / consistently run on the 10w40 synth to be honest.

Looking at my manual, for our climate (-10c to 40c), BMW suggests 20w50 (car may be driven in 10c a few times a year if that).

Mine isn’t smoking (not sure on consumption yet) but it has done almost 400km.

I also wanted 20W50 but apparently the 20/60 is pretty much the same. Mineral vs Synthetic…I’m just putting in what the manual said. I also run it on 91 as that’s what the fuel map on the Turner Motorsport chip is. I’m doing 750km between wof’s atm so not doing enough km‘s to really have any notes. would be interested what everyone else is putting in there M20’s?

• Like 2