Jun

E60 M5 on its first 2 week and 2,500+ kms with us

12 hours ago, Jun said:

This post is probably that I can relate to me, where I am in the start of his initial purchase https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/511233-my-07-e60-m5-bearing-story-1st-year-ownership.html

Thanks for this, a really cool story! 

7 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Today mine was running for something like 5 minutes after shut down.  Could be just an anomaly after having a bunch of work done, but will certainly keep an ear on it.

Will also report back on time to operating temp.

Mine often runs for quite a while after a long run in warm weather or if I have driven in manual mode (it tends to rev a lot higher in manual mode ?) my oil temp also nudges 100 quite regularly but doesn't go above that. Castrol 10w60 always in mine.

• Like 1

Hey Jun, what sort of money does 300ml of Liqui Moly Ceratec go for down here?  

(Edit: 300ml bottles)

Edited by Olaf

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Hey Jun, what sort of money does 300ml of Liqui Moly Ceratec go for down here?  

(Edit: 300ml bottles)

I think I asked Powerhaus before, it was $70 a bottle.  I decided to ship 2 bottles for me, cost me about $80-90 from what I recall.  (My memory is rusty, so I maybe wrong) However exchange rates vary.  PM me if you would like to get one.  I would probably buy one sometime in the year, so maybe we can save on shipping cost.

5 hours ago, aja540i said:

Mine often runs for quite a while after a long run in warm weather or if I have driven in manual mode (it tends to rev a lot higher in manual mode ?) my oil temp also nudges 100 quite regularly but doesn't go above that. Castrol 10w60 always in mine.

Yeah mine would always be visibly below 100 unless it was getting hammered, it now seems to snuggle up close to 100.  I also hardly ever had the after run fan.  On the run this morning it took about 9 mins to get to temp.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Olaf said:

I read one site that ascribed it to too fine a tolerance from crank to bearing.  They advocated the BE bearings also.

I think it is a case of death by a thousand cuts, the surface area of the bearings is quite small, presumably for packaging reasons when they designed the motor, there is a very small tolerance between the bearings and crank, the motor happily revs to over 8k rpm, the condition based servicing has the oil changes out to 20000km intervals, and it is a naturally aspirated 500 hp motor built to a price point set by company accountants.

Also, because it has 10 cylinders and a seven speed gearbox in a North - South orientation and the letter S and numbers 8 and 5 in its name it has terrible feng shui. I believe it can be improved with mirrors... ?

Edited by aja540i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

^^^ My Cappuccino would go over 9K, similar 100 bhp PER LITRE, but turbocharged...  and didn't have big end issues...

...maybe the M5 should have been a 3 cylinder ? 10 was just too many...

Maybe I'm not overthinking this enough, and you need MORE cylinders!  4,999cc V10 (M5) divided by 657cc I3 (Cappuccino) is about 7.6, rounded up means 8 cappuccino engines for the same power: The M5 needs to be a 24 cylinder!

• Haha 1

Yeah I don't think it has gone quite that far

3 hours ago, scrapcarremoval said:

We buy all kind of car at the highest cash in entire Auckland. We are the leading company in car removal and paying cash for cars for many years. We fill your pocket with cash once the deal is done and the vehicle is towed away, we pay instant cash. Get your free online quote by calling us on 0800909070. We pay the fastest Cash for Cars in Auckland for junk and damaged cars

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, scrapcarremoval said:

We buy all kind of car at the highest cash in entire Auckland. We are the leading company in car removal and paying cash for cars for many years. We fill your pocket with cash once the deal is done and the vehicle is towed away, we pay instant cash. Get your free online quote by calling us on 0800909070. We pay the fastest Cash for Cars in Auckland for junk and damaged cars

Your grammar game just isn’t up to it.  Your BOT game seems reasonable, though.

Paying *after* the vehicle has gone?  You’re having a laugh.

It's been a while since I visited this site.  It's almost 2 years since I posted this thread.  So far we still have the car, and I think we will be keeping it after what has happened in 2020.  We have replaced the rod bearings at 61k kms.  Here is the laundry list of things that was done along with it.

• rod bearing set, and connecting rod bolts
  • vanos pressure hose
  • timing chain guide
  • engine mounts
  • lower control arms
  • tie rods
  • drive belt pulleys (idler and tensioner)
  • tensioner (a/c and auto belt)
  • drive belts
  • coils and spark plugs
  • air filters
  • wheel alignment
  • Clutch, pressure plate
  • Dual mass flywheel
  • Release bearing, release bearing guide
  • Clutch fork pivot, clutch release arm spring
  • Crankshaft bolt, Crankshaft rear seal
  • SMG relay
  • Driveshaft flex joint, Driveshaft center support bearing, Driveshaft end bushing
  • Transmission mounts
  • Exhaust pipe gaskets, hex nuts, torx bolts
  • Gear box oil

Jon of Auto38 has been great in serving the car, his craftsmanship is top notch.  We are very happy with car, knock on wood that it doesn't blow up in 2021... otherwise we have to file for bankruptcy 🤣 .  I wasn't planning to do these things in 2020, the plan was to do this over the next few years.  It was only to check for a misfire in July, one thing led to another. 

I also have some bits and bobs that maybe some owners of E60 M5 would be interested on.  5 old coils, 1 new coil, new release bearing, clutch alignment tool, input shaft seal, old driveshaft flex joint, tire rod, etc.  Just message me if you are interested on these parts.

We are still breaking in the rod bearings, so far just 300+ kms only.  Some of you probably have seen the car over the past few weeks, usually we go for a milk run at Te Horo and some vegetables and strawberries at Penray.  So the things in internet about the E60 M5 is true and not true.  Happy to share our ownership experience to anyone that is interested.  I also would like to thank @Olaf and @TermiPeteNZ for help and advice.

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_9360.jpg

IMG_9527.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_9463.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

• Like 7

was about to say the same thing Julian @C-130 Hercules 😀

You're very welcome @Jun all part of the community spirit

• Like 1

10 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

You've got your money's worth out of that disc... 😅

Yes the clutch disc was much worse than I would have expected, it's the original clutch from new.  The SMG robot probably would be cursing while moving from standstill, it did an admirable job to be honest.  Now the car kinda drives like a normal auto box if you don't step on it.  It is one fallacy of the internet it's bad in slow speeds, it actually drives well in low speed.  What it doesn't do well is somewhere in the middle, where you don't step on it or being gentle on the throttle.  

What was a really bad was the release bearing guide, sorry forgot to take a picture of it.  I guess the amount of power that goes into the clutch system during high rev, upshift and downshift is really puts a lot of pressure on this part.  If you have a M5 or M6, make sure to buy the newer part 23117564680 which has superseded 23117539951.  Jon thinks that the release bearing guide may also contribute to the rod bearing wear due to undue stress to the crankshaft, aside from the fact the tolerance of the bearings are really tight.  Jon double checked all of the rod bearings, torque, etc.  Effectively making the bottom part of the engine to be hand assembled, there are theories out there that the mass production of the S85 and small tolerance levels of the rod bearings maybe the culprit.  Why also some cars have their rod bearings wear faster compared to others. 

I haven't been able to do any high revs, I am still waiting for me to get above 600 km before I try to rev it pass 4,000 rpm.  At the current rate I am going, that maybe sometime in 2021. Also all parts are from FCP Euro, so maybe sometime 2040 if they are still in business and I still have the car I get a new clutch for free. 🤣

Jon and I also noticed that this maybe the first time the car had a major service, all of the factory clamps, etc where all untouched.  I guess that looks to be correct, as we got the less than 54k kms.  Looking the service history in japan there was no service period where it had more than 3 hours of work, so assume only prescribed maintenance was done to it on its expected intervals: 3k, 6k, 10k, 14k, 32k, 40k, 52k.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jun said:

Also all parts are from FCP Euro

FCP have good transit times. They use FedEx who have dedicated fleet of planes. 10 days is norm to our shores. 

• Like 2

i duno why but it cracks me up seeing 10 spark plugs and 10 coils. hahaha

On 12/17/2020 at 3:14 PM, qube said:

i duno why but it cracks me up seeing 10 spark plugs and 10 coils. hahaha

I have 5 old coils (less than 61k use) and 1 new coil left.  Happy to give the old coils to someone and buy the new coil at (FCP Euro) cost.

12 minutes ago, Jun said:

I have 5 old coils (less than 61k use) and 1 new coil left.  Happy to give the old coils to someone and buy the new coil at (FCP Euro) cost.

I'll buy them, always handy to have a spare or 6!! PM me details.

14 minutes ago, aja540i said:

I'll buy them, always handy to have a spare or 6!! PM me details.

PM sent, you only need to buy 1 new one.  5 old coils are free.

Doug DeMuro said the E60 M5 is the best car you should never own. Your best friend should own one. I followed his advice, I bought my best friend (aka wife) the M5 🤣
Leisure Sunday drive today, still breaking in the rod bearings. The new clutch, etc is nice as well.

DSC02454_Original.JPG

• Like 2

Almost broken in, so far nothing has exploded yet 😅.  Doing now 4,000 rpm, can't wait to bring it twice that.  For now lazy driving around Wellington.

IMG_1171.jpeg

• Like 1

We still have the car, enjoying it at the same time doing some maintenance on it.  Cleaning sunroof drains, minor bits and bobs... my first oil change on the car.  No more mechanical insurance, so I am free to do what I want on it.  2nd oil change since new bearings, I will do a 3rd one after 2k kms again.  It's not as straight forward as the Skyline, that I can do pretty much in a jiffy. 

It's been a great cruiser for us, hope it runs well for the next few years.  Another big item is the actuators where I already bought the upgraded gears, shafts and mosfets.

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

• Like 6

Busy weekend, we took the car for a quick run.  Went back home and my wife wanted to take a particular photo of her car.  Turned out much better than we expected, after me fiddling with the phone photo.

BB610B69-E939-454C-A334-E074837EA847.JPG

• Like 1

Just some updates.  M5 developed a small leak on the diff, I had a look and diagnosed the leak is from the pinion seal.  Bought some parts from FCP Euro, they where actually very cheap.  Decided for the upgraded Corteco seal as its advertised to be better and fixes the design flaw of the original BMW seal.  Since Auto 38 has closed, we decided to use Powerhaus as Mike Page is too far away.  We have used Powerhaus for our Cayenne before, they are very good although long wait times and they are on the expensive side.  However their work is always top-notch and always give you the honest diagnosis.  We also asked them to replace the SMG hydraulic, gear oil, diff oil and brake fluid.  Diff oil was replaced with Liqui Moly, however even though this advertised to be in spec with the LSD diff.  Some LSD BMW diff may need more friction modifiers, TSB: SIB330102 which required the fluid that had more FM.  Our car seems to have this binding issue, so we decided to add some RedLine Friction Modifiers, which worked really well.  Pretty much all fluids are now replaced, all consumables on the car are almost new.

IMG_8745.jpeg

Edited by Jun
  • Like 3

Some stuff came from Aliexpress arrived today, mostly for another car.  But to be honest I am more excited to fit this on the M5.  Although being Aliexpress, the color is not like what was in the photo of the website.  The floor mat color is much more darker grey, I wish it was light grey (in there photo) which would match the interior better.  What do you guys think, does it make the car look better?  It actually fits well, so dirt and mud will be better protected.  Is there any good way to make it lighter color?  I told my wife I would bleach it, she said no the color will not be uniform and mentioned to me that I will throw the mat out because wouldn't be able to accept a mediocre job.

IMG_9270.thumb.jpeg.b928d0f32eecc4265d8dfeaf8928cacc.jpegIMG_9272.thumb.jpeg.cc624d75615a343d6624bcbe76ecf963.jpegIMG_9271.thumb.jpeg.b84f93c878ce666a1be4d6127ded6ec7.jpeg

Edited by Jun
  • Like 2