Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

$1 Reserve F10 M5

It's an auction... buyer beware. Even if that dude was a dealer, auctions are as is, where is in this country. 

On 1/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, Gabe79 said:

It's an auction... buyer beware. Even if that dude was a dealer, auctions are as is, where is in this country. 

My understanding is the law changed on this about 3 years ago, and that $1 reserve auctions are now bound by CGA if sold by a dealer.

Edited by leebske
  • Like 1

There was an interesting test case where a trade-in sold by a dealer "as is where is" was adjudged to still be bound by Consumer Guarantee's Act. I believe the logic applied was that it was still sold by a dealer, though the business and off the lot. Hence it should be covered by the CGA.

If you take that same scenario to a Trade-Me Auction then I would suggest it would also apply if the conditions are the same. However, if it is somewhere like say, Turners or Mannheim, then I believe that then does not fall under the CGA and it truly is "buyer beware".

• Like 1

Turners stipulate whether or not the seller is “in trade” and therefore the CGA applies I believe.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, Gabe79 said:

That's not correct Gabe... CGA still applies under the Act. You cannot contract out of the CGA. Twp parties can still make an agreement but that all changes when the sh*t hits the fan. 

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

I've recently gone through the MVDT because of a dodgy car from a dealer and I can assure you, you can't hide behind 'as is where is'. We won the case convincingly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

That's not correct Gabe... CGA still applies under the Act. You cannot contract out of the CGA. Twp parties can still make an agreement but that all changes when the sh*t hits the fan. 

Hi Glenn, thank you for that. I double checked it and indeed you are correct. I've missed out on some opportunities due to my misunderstanding, alas.