Sign in to follow this  
Lola

Mini Cooper ABS control unit

Hello. I am not sure if my Mini is a BMW but I do not know anywhere else to ask the question. 

I have a 2002 Mini cooper and recently these 3 lights are permanently on: traction, handbrake and ABS lights. When I brought it to mechanic they scan and says the ABS control unit needs to be replaced. The fault code I get is 5DF5 Internal fault. I have been looking on ebay as well as trademe for a specific ABS unit part number but it is very rare. (6758801)

Anyway my question is: Am I going to fail WoF with those lights on? If I replace ABS control unit will those 3 lights come off? Can the unit be repaired instead of replacement? It is too costly for me, just replaced a power steering pump cost me $900 including labour. If it can be repaired, where should I go? I am in Invercargill. Thanks and lookforward to positive responses. 

Cheers! 

Lola

33659702-62BA-45EB-A259-2C468C762DA2.jpeg

Edited by Lola

Hello Lola, yes your MINI is a BMW version . Not many MINI owners on here, there is probably another forum that specifically covers both generations of the MINI.

To answer your questions, yes you would fail a WoF for faulty ABS. I would suggest that it would be hard, and expensive to repair. 

Your best option cost wise might be to look for a working used part from a wreckers. @BM WORLD have you got any MINI bits? 

its going to be pretty expensive to find one of these pumps locally. theres one on trademe for $700.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1909550000

My best advise is like what Jon said. Look for people wrecking Mini's and you might get lucky.

try this guy: https://www.trademe.co.nz/1914902487

also there is a guy down south called "batrust" on trademe

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=5087646

he is a mini wrecker he might have something.

you should be expecting big repair bills if you intend to own a R53 mini cooper with 178,000 kms on it.

there is a reason why these car's prices have bottomed out at like $4k because they will just keep breaking down one part after another..

1 hour ago, qube said:

its going to be pretty expensive to find one of these pumps locally. theres one on trademe for $700.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1909550000

My best advise is like what Jon said. Look for people wrecking Mini's and you might get lucky.

try this guy: https://www.trademe.co.nz/1914902487

also there is a guy down south called "batrust" on trademe

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=5087646

he is a mini wrecker he might have something.

you should be expecting big repair bills if you intend to own a R53 mini cooper with 178,000 kms on it.

there is a reason why these car's prices have bottomed out at like $4k because they will just keep breaking down one part after another..

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I have tried everyone on trademe. I have messaged batrust and he says will get back to me tmr. I dont know why my part number is really rare while there are so many other part numbers for R50 out there which are much cheaper to buy. Will the trifecta lights go away once I replace the module? Thanks

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Hello Lola, yes your MINI is a BMW version . Not many MINI owners on here, there is probably another forum that specifically covers both generations of the MINI.

To answer your questions, yes you would fail a WoF for faulty ABS. I would suggest that it would be hard, and expensive to repair. 

Your best option cost wise might be to look for a working used part from a wreckers. @BM WORLD have you got any MINI bits? 

Hello,

thank you for your response. I just want to make sure when I replace a new module the trifecta lights will go away. I can’t spend more money on it.

Another question is does the part number needs to completely matching? Or does it just need to be a ABS control unit from same car model same specs ie Mini Cooper 2002? Thanks

Powerstop Engineering up here in Tauranga repair these, the repair is not trivial and needs a full bench test afterwards. It cost $700 to do the last one I sent them. Sorry if you are finding limited help, MINI is kind of the orphan branch of BMW.

If you purchase a second hand ABS unit. it will need to be coded to the car with a computer. You would need to find someone in the BMW world in Invercargill with a program called NSCexpert and the right cable to do the coding for you.

A better approach would be to get your unit repaired, then all you have to do is put it back in.

4 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Powerstop Engineering up here in Tauranga repair these, the repair is not trivial and needs a full bench test afterwards. It cost $700 to do the last one I sent them. Sorry if you are finding limited help, MINI is kind of the orphan branch of BMW.

Thanks. I have just emailed them for the quotation. Hope it is not way over my budget

4 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

If you purchase a second hand ABS unit. it will need to be coded to the car with a computer. You would need to find someone in the BMW world in Invercargill with a program called NSCexpert and the right cable to do the coding for you.

A better approach would be to get your unit repaired, then all you have to do is put it back in.

I was referred to Riverside autos by Mini dealer in Dunedin. I think the guy there has that technology. Does the part number need to be matched 100%?

Hi Lola,

Did you get your mini fixed from these horrible lights? If yes please share your experience as I am going through the same lights in my mini copper and want to get rid of them along with mini (tired of spending money on it). I am based in Christchurch. 

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks