Sign in to follow this  
qube

BMW M5 Alpina B10 V8 1999

4 hours ago, Michael. said:

Awesome Jon you must be very happy.

The Aplina cast block is what gets me, I wonder if there is more information about it.

Is it a M62 block design but just improved to meet their specs for 4.6L, does the same supplier of BMW make it? Are these blocks only used in E39 B10 cars? 

Such a special step you don't hear about too often, talk about an expensive way to increase performance haha. Very cool either way. 

I learned similar peculiarities about the E4 engine in my B3. 1998, single vanos iron block 3.2 sharing very little with the M50 and nothing intake or exhaust with the Mxx engines. God help me if I need a head gasket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Michael. said:

The Aplina cast block is what gets me, I wonder if there is more information about it.

Is it a M62 block design but just improved to meet their specs for 4.6L, does the same supplier of BMW make it? Are these blocks only used in E39 B10 cars? 

Such a special step you don't hear about too often, talk about an expensive way to increase performance haha. Very cool either way. 

Super happy given the time involved to purchase, I made an offer 2yrs ago which was higher than what I paid this week.

I will make some enquiries about the block on a couple of Alpina groups in Europe that I follow.  The Alpina-Archive is interesting, I learnt a lot from it.

https://www.alpina-archive.com/?page_id=185

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Michael. said:

My understanding is the blocks were made by BMW to Alpinas specifications. Its basically a m62 block design with a bigger bore and a different crank to increase stroke.

Same engine used in the e53 4.6is, although the story goes that BMW liked the modifications Alpina made so much that they bought the rights to put them in the e53.

The heads are a different casting too - so you cant swap the much better b46 cams into the b44.

There is lots of conflicting info out there, but Alpina ported and polished the b46 heads by hand for their cars, whereas BMW didnt do this step with the b46 they put in the x5.

Alpina did lots of cool subtle things in their design too, like fewer oil rings, lighter pistons, underdriven crank pulley etc.

• Like 1

I've found out the following from other Alpina forums if anyone's interested 

'Only the V8s had the bespoke casting made by bmw for alpina, so thats not a regular block, there are differences as you can't just over bore these blocks.'

'Alpina to work their magic with new crankshaft, more aggressive camshafts, hand-fettled ports, lighter higher-compression Mahle pistons and reprogrammed the Motronic system.'

This chap knows his Alpinas!

'Jon - id say it's a bit more complicated than it might first appear. Your car will be an F4 engine which you can confirm from digits 12-14 of your ALPINA VIN (F40)

There have been five variants of 4.6 V8 produced by ALPINA.
 - F2/0 (M60B40): for the E34 B10 4.6, this had a custom block, crankshaft & airbox
 - F2/1 (M60B40): which was a modified version of the F2 specifically for the E36 B8 4.8. Changes included: modified air intake, engine mounts, oilpan and exhaust manifold which restricted power from 340PS/480Nm to 333PS/470Nm

- F3/0 (M62B44): launched in the E39 B10 V8, the modifications included: custom block, crankshaft, pistons, camshaft and air intake.
 - F4/0 (M62B44TU): launched mid-way through the production of the E39 B10 V8 following BMW's technical update which added single VANOS to both intake camshafts and fly-by-wire throttle.
 - F4/1 (M62B44TU): the basis of the E39 B10 V8/1 which was introduced with the E39 LCI. This was an updated version of the F4 engine focussing on improved fuel efficiency and emissions.

Other M60/M62 based engine variants:
 - F5/0 (M62B44TU): this is the 4.8 engine used in the E39 B10 V8S and E52 Roadster V8. The main changes over the F4/1 were an increased stroke (85mm to 89mm) and revised crankshaft, intake camshafts and oilpan.
 - M62B46: this is BMW's productionised version of the F4 engine which was installed in the X5 4.6iS & Morgan Aero 8. It is similar to the ALPINA engine it is based upon, but not all parts are interchangeable.'

Edited by JonRP
  • Like 1

Great info!

Thanks

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 5:30 PM, nath said:

I learned similar peculiarities about the E4 engine in my B3. 1998, single vanos iron block 3.2 sharing very little with the M50 and nothing intake or exhaust with the Mxx engines. God help me if I need a head gasket. 

Lovely machine the B3, I tried to import #180 B3 3.3 2 years ago, but the costs and process to have it landed in NZ from UK was painful...

Edited by JonRP
Spelling

Congrats Jon on your excellent purchase, I do like the Alpina B10 but wouldn't sell my E39 540is to buy one.

Would love one of those F3/0 engines to put in front of my 6 speed manual.