Sign in to follow this  
Eagle

E39 manual\motorsport conversion

Original plan always an E34 manual but i never saw any good candidates. I found this E39 528i factory manual and thought id turn my existing wannabe 530i motorsport into eventually an improved version of the actual one.

Benefits of this are fairly obvious - M54B30 power. I can retain much of the work and $ spent ive done on my existing car and don't have to do it all again on another unknown car. I like my car colour and don't want to own another silver BMW especially one which has a grey interior (528i has both).    

Buying the extra motorsport bits shouldn't be hard or expensive given these cars are plentiful and worth jack so it should help keep costs down.

The swap seems fairly straight forward. The coding side of it appears relatively easy with my MS43 DME. May be some small pedal issues as they appear to have changed things around in Sept '97. Possibly a little wiring and\or a few plug changes to get the drive by wire working etc with pedals for cruise control etc. Will deal with the issues when i come to them as using early M52 manual setup is a little different to the M54 auto and not properly documented as far as ive looked.

Plan is sort of a 3 stage deal given i don't want the car off the road for long periods at a time.

1. Remove 528i gearbox etc and my 530i engine and transmission to fix up some small oil leaks. Fit M-suspension bigger swaybars whilst its out. Fit manual box with all new shifter bushings with E60 shorter shifter and ZHP knob. Replace all driveline and clutch components (apparently the PO has a new clutch with single mass flywheel installed not long ago so i shouldn't have to worry about that part).

2. Sort some upgraded springs and dampeners. Will look into rebuilding my KW coilovers i have here with Koni adjustable inserts but will look at other options if too expensive with the added cert.

3. Black motorsport interior to replace my beige one as most sports seats seem to be black on these. Then lastly put back in what BMW accountants took out - the LSD experience.

I will start dismantling the 528i tomorrow to find out what parts i need and will commence work once they arrive. In the mean time im happy enough driving an old 5 series manual again.

528.jpg

530i.jpg

• Like 6

Thought i had a small issue with the older clutch pedals but turns out i could of easily re-used my earlier one instead of buying a new one. The new style clutch master cylinders have a clutch switch mounted on the side of them making the stop obsolete. RealOEM isnt very helpful when it comes to this sort of thing.

clutch.thumb.jpg.aab7fa17205ab29d1f9686d06fa85a3c.jpg

Brake pedal is a different story as it completely different for the facelift DBW setups. Couldn't find a manual RHD brake pedal but the auto pedal is identical to the manual in regards to shaft shape and position, so just needs the pedal reduced. Do it right and its basically factory in regards to fit and distances, it's just has the foot wielded on the opposite side to the manual version.

brake.thumb.jpg.e91356d948784c370aaf8567d592778c.jpg

pbs.thumb.jpg.bff7de0a809ff02e6ceaa7577ab3a317.jpg

Completed

pbcom.thumb.jpg.e1ef228855612d84aef8569400420c85.jpg

Tidied up transmission and replaced all shifter bushings, clutch components and rear seals. 

zf.thumb.jpg.df0e1be918c7c14f2abb47435c4b4093.jpg

New hanger bearing and centering sleeve. Looks like CV has been done at some point which i was hoping it would have.

ds.thumb.jpg.01a436dc96e1073f503e0b411e2f74b9.jpg

Correct ratio 2.93 diff. 2500rpm @ 100kph

diff.thumb.jpg.4ae696da77d96b85183edb00d6eeb694.jpg

Turned out my SMF flywheel conversion done by the previous owner was an M20 228mm flywheel conversion (****ing cheap ****) but i managed to score an old (but still plenty of life) DMF from an awesome guy named Kayne Barrie. Waiting on my new 240mm Luk clutch kit then should be good to proceed.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 9

Interested to see how you get on - I am getting the bits together to have this done on my car shortly.

Nice. Half the reason of the thread was to document to give others an idea in regards to RHD and older version. Much of the RHD parts are hard to find or NLA.

What setup are you planning on using?. The later 528i (preferable the TU) would be ideal unless you score a wrecked M54B30 manual car. An early 523i would work also as they have the ZF box and slightly shorter 3.15 diff which maybe a benefit 

I have a pre-facelift 528i Touring. I have sourced a 5-speed ZF and a few other parts and have identified sources for all the rest of the parts using part numbers from Real OEM.  The only thing I'm stuck on so far is a diff .

I gave my damaged msport bumper away and it will be used to fix someone elses one. Got a whole bunch of ACS suspension and bodywork parts which included a PFL bumper with ACS addon lip as shown below. I quite like the look but it needs to painted to match my car.

IMG_3672.thumb.jpg.aaa3ecf21d41285435260351487d31c0.jpg

Msport bumpers look nice but they just too fragile for the roads here with all the extra under carriage, too low and too weak for me to bother with esp when im going to lower it in the near future.

• Like 2

Here's what I've got so far - steadily getting bits every pay day as I go...

large.IMG_1431.JPG.1d25f4a959856d36d75c7cc029dc389a.JPG

Got the front bumper sorted with black msport trims to match but i do need to sort a rear one to re-enable rear PDC. Also fitted clear celis tail lights and fender indicators to match the replacement front Hella xenons, i did prefer the orange but it was easier to go with clears.  

Thought about doing shadowline door trim also but decided i like the chrome which compliments the wheels and grille, and its a bastard now so may as well continue with it.

Going into Tuesday to do most of the manual driveline conversion with a hoist (thanks to Kerry at Mosens). After that i'll finally get around to lowering it once i decide on struts and sport seats when i find a good set.

f.thumb.jpg.55a04bcd2b4ed1288f0b7618c5788516.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.95c48d153d57134af6ff89ea8f42957c.jpg

• Like 5

Haha yeah its not far off at all, would make a good twin. Style 42's aren't common sight to see on any BMW i think.

Got the ACS\Eibach 27mm front and 18mm rear swaybars in which has fattened it out much nicer than stock but it does now high light the need for springs and dampeners even more.

Ended up removing the transmission myself which wasn't too bad. The corroded starter dowel holding on for dear life and transmission dust over bolt i forgot to undo were the only issues, but my mate brute force sorted those bastards out. The replacement ZF went in very easy and even easier to bolt up with all the extra space in the tunnel.

clutch2.thumb.jpg.d1160358822597013cccd542d7ef8088.jpg

tunnel.thumb.jpg.c8ed09288041bc427d530da044228d89.jpg

Given we are RHD, i routed the required clutch signal wire (using a ex transmission wire) and reverse light wires through the clutch line hole, made sense to me as its less wire to run and they need connect to the clutch module and instrument cluster respectively. Reverse light wiring runs runs under the heat shielding prior to going in the hole. Also made my own brake switch-clutch module adapter out of old plugs and wires from the donor car to keep it tidy, even got some Tessa tape.

lines.thumb.jpg.7cb164db51d490c1ee4fd37054875e5c.jpg

Swapped a pin from the EGS to DME for clutch signal then used PA soft to recode DME and IKE for manual and realigned the EWS. Car started and ran with no issues. Will follow up with NCS at some point to change the checksum to manual to complete that side of it.

Few more hours finishing off then i should be driving tomorrow begin breaking in the clutch.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 2

All finished except the reverse light wiring which will be done when i can find a low OBC wiring diagram.

The new shifter setup using the shorter E60 lever and ZHP knob is much improved. The stock setup had the problems of being to tall for me which meant i couldn't relax my arm on the rest perpendicular to the knob. Truck throw length is gone also but shifting is slightly more notchy as expected, still very livable.

Throttle response and off the line performance is day and night compared to the old auto, but that's party due to my old torque converter slipping a low revs. I'm expecting it to get even easier to drive and less fuel once i get used to the clutch and its fully bedded in. Counting down the k's till i can really give it a proper work and make it feel like it was worth the ~3.5k it cost haha.

knob.thumb.jpg.c9e874ac32ac8c134fe43241afabd2b9.jpg

• Like 7

Good work! I just put a new SAC and DMF in mine, that dowel was a right bastard too. A manual E39 really is a wonderful thing. Also, if you want a heavier throw on your shifter, I have the approx 6m of solder @Allanw wrapped around the shaft going spare :P

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Good work! I just put a new SAC and DMF in mine, that dowel was a right bastard too. A manual E39 really is a wonderful thing. Also, if you want a heavier throw on your shifter, I have the approx 6m of solder @Allanw wrapped around the shaft going spare :P

i have some factory weights that bmw use that go clamp the gearlever for that effect 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Yeah having an extra set of hands and eyes would of been great. Im running a S54 DMF, not that it means a lot. The ZHP is weighted which seems to do the job in that area, ive used them on all the manuals ive and with no disadvantages.

For future reference: The reverse light signal for the low cluster is pin #4 on the black instrument cluster plug. I ended up re-routing the reverse switch wires up the old auto shift cable hole, running it under center console and behind the climate control panel, radio etc and out behind the dash to join the existing wires. Its the only wire you will ever have to run doing this conversion as i used the old auto shift selector ground for my new ground. 

Finally got around to fitting my Sachs sport strut and ACS spring combo that i had pre-assembled with new hardware, makes the job much more relaxing. The drop is near bang on what i wanted which was said to be slightly lower than Msport springs based on info i could find.

Haven't got a wheel alignment yet so no doubt the toe and camber are way out so can't speak for handling yet, I'll be booking one at the dealer since it still needs the airbags checked. Ride quality is much more compliant though coming from the Meyle's, they did handle well but had your typical high pressure gas characteristics.

New windscreen cowl and side cowls finally done after 4 years too. Got some cooling system parts to refresh for piece then it will be mostly done mechanically 

acs.jpg

bay.jpg

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 6

Looking good. 

Nice work with the windscreen cowl. Something I need to do with mine. Was that a hard job?

Took around 30mins, half of that was probably cleaning. $150 at the local dealer here for the main cowl which is a good price and 75mm 2 jaw puller worked well to take the arms off

• Like 4

All aligned and driving fairly good with airbag being ok also. I thought BMW spec'd a little toe in instead of 0, its not bad but it doesn't track quite exactly how i want it like my usual 1-2mm in per side setting, i will adjust it myself at some point. 

Main thing it thought it feels like msport setup should, firm but controlled with quicker turn in and reduced roll thanks to the bigger swaybars. A small increase NVH with the new springs but dampeners are matched\valved better with this setup, especially on the compression side. So it rides better or worse depending on your preference haha.