Sign in to follow this  
Kodachrome

I refurbed my cloth seats (E28 1983)

I did check if I could find replacement used ones in better quality and wasnt happy with what sellers were offering, so we decided to make a couple of days out of it and combined skills to refurb what we have. 

Basically:

- No foam/sponge left in originals, no softness in the horsehair molded bases. Cloth itself in pretty good condition.

- Forced stripes of cotton wadding inside "piping" on the back piece

- Kept the horse hair mold but added middle strips of 35-160U High Density foam and side bolsters of 28-170U Medium density foam

- Hand washed rear cloth, did not remove from seat as it was riveted to the frame (and no need).

- Machine washed base

- Wife sewed in "Interface" material into the base stips to create new "loops" to hold the side-centre-side metal bars in place (original channels disintegrated

- Initially used OEM like Bull Ring pliers to reattached metal bars etc but found that large cable ties work a lot better. Used lots of them (13per base, 5 on each side and 3 in the middle). 

Very happy with result, firm but soft, smells great too thanks to the washing and cloth shampoo!

Base with middle covered.png

Base with foam inserted.png

Backrest piping during.png

Before image.png

Completed base.png

completed passenger seat.png

Sizing foam on base.png

Completed seats.png

Showing Interface material.png

New backrest piping installed.png

New piping on left.png

• Like 8

Awesome, I actually might consider doing mine instead of swapping out for another type of seat.

• Thanks 1

@Kodachrome Great job, Alan!  Looks better, and am sure it feels better.

Where'd you get the foam?

I got the foam on Trade Me, those are the exact names I used from the listing. There are foam and seat outlets around bricks & mortar style too that can sell and cut it for you. Apparently the best DIY cutting method is to use an electric kitchen knife. Would be near than what I used (blades and scissors). 

I got the wadding in Spotlight!

It does feel great tho!

Edited by Kodachrome