TermiPeteNZ

Living with sensible(?) vehicles - E53 V8 and E60 M5...

X5 update - the ABS ECU can't be sourced so the whole ABS unit is being replaced - I'm paying the MBI excess and the amount over the single claim limit for an old vehicle like this. It will arrive in a couple of weeks ....

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Considering the total cost to maintain one of these like it ought to won't be trivial, do you think you will keep the X5 for much longer now the MBI has gone?

That's a good question...

With everything that's been fixed/done and the amount that I've spent, AND how little these are worth - this really needs to be a keeper for me. I'll be picky about the next X5 i get and make sure it is a beaut example.

• Like 1

The X5 is back with a brand-new ABS ECU, and I have a spare brand-new ABS pump in a box.

Great to have it back :)  Thanks to Auto38 and Autosure for great service as always.

Just had the F30 in at Winger for

• service & WoF
  • new spark plugs
  • brake flush 
  • rear brake pads
  • new front tyres (should have done this a tad sooner) :o 

First money I've spent on this vehicle ... pleased with the service and BMW Car Club discount applied without me having to ask. Nice.

E46 is in at Auto38 for safety check and I suspect a noisy FL wheel bearing... before my eldest lad takes it away back to base (He's a proud member of NZDF now!)

• Like 4

E46 back ...

• rear brakes done - rotors, pads, sensor
  • front brake hoses replaced
  • WoF ..

Now to deal with the wife's Mazda - oil leak by the looks of things. Had to charge up the battery overnight too...

Re the M5, I've been advised of another (third!) delay on the BE Bearings from Turner - for another month - so I've made the call to switch to BMW original parts for the bearings and connecting rod bolts. Not fair to keep it on Auto38's project hoist for soooo long and I do want the car back... Turner have been good at communicating - the stuff just isn't shipping from BE. ? 

Edited by TermiPeteNZ

Update...

• The E46 has left home with my eldest lad who is of course now in the military!
  • Our Mazda's leak was the repaired trans seal not being in place properly - Driscolls re-seated it and all good 
  • F30 was brilliant on the winter run to Castlepoint - just love the turbo 6!!! Finally got around to cleaning it today...
  • Jon at Auto38 is making great progress on the M5 and I look forward to having it back soon... "it's an awesome engine to work on! Thoroughly enjoying it!"
    • I've just ordered some extra bits from TurnerMotorsport - both accessory belt tensioner pulleys and belt, a new bonnet badge with grommets and a set of 10 NGK plugs.
    • The old vanos line wasn't holding pressure - so the new one should make a decent difference
    • new bearings are in and clearances are spot on (phew) 
Edited by TermiPeteNZ
  • Like 6

What is the rod bearing job costing you Peter?

Im thinking of factoring it in my next 12 month maintenance budget...

On 7/7/2020 at 6:55 PM, BMWTouring said:

What is the rod bearing job costing you Peter?

Im thinking of factoring it in my next 12 month maintenance budget...

Hey Aidan

Well TBH I don't know the exact cost as Jon is applying T&M to this...

• Bearing kit inc Vanos line from Turner Motorsport - ~$2600+ ~$500 for Customs/GST
  • Open up, inspect bearings and crank $900
  • Rest of the labour to come!

So I'd say figure on $6K and if you have a thorough mechanic there will be other stuff that you end up doing - but it will depend a lot on who you get to do the job, labour rates etc.

And I will let you know once it is done and dusted.

This aligns well with what BMW Workshop in Akld estimated: 

"The big end bearings can be done in place. The same time you should replace the high pressure vanos feed hose. If all goes to plan the job normally ends up at approx.  $5500.00 +GST." 

So put that in your budget - but allow for the other stuff.

Edited by TermiPeteNZ
  • Like 1

I spent about $7K all up when I had mine done, including a few other bits and pieces, which I thought was pretty reasonable for the peace of mind you have after it's done!

• Like 1

That's really not that bad at the end of the day.  Folks are happy to lose far more than that on a newer depreciating vehicle.

• Like 1

Quick update on the M5...

• All put back together
  • Has been on a ~100KM run - all good
  • The tints have been removed and *thankfully* the rear demister is still working - always a risk when tints are removed. I had a look at the standard glass on another E60 M5 and thought 'that will do' - so I haven't bothered getting new tints added back on.
  • new LH wing mirror glass is in - much better :o 
  • it has a shiny new bonnet badge - the old one was, well a bit old and sad looking
  • I asked Jon to replace the LHS fuel sender to try and deal to the occasional stalls I had - so that's going in next, along with...
  • a replacement fuel tank! Jon noted the significant suction when taking the gas cap off to refuel - and knew straight away that there's a problem with the tank. He found a crack and it is deformed around the LHS sender. Fortunately, he was able to source a 2nd hand tank.

So had hoped to get it back this week but looks to be early next week instead. Oh well :)   

• Like 6

Update...

• Since the dash was off, asked Jon to look at heater issue (sometimes blows hot at the driver when set to cool - slightly frustrating!) - decided to replace the heater control valve
  • Charcoal filter failed when installing the replacement fuel tank.
  • Ordered both parts from Turner in the USA
  • Parts arrived this week from Turner, dropped off and should be fitted soon...

Nearly there! ?

• Like 2

Well - it's back!!!

Just feels so different after the driving the F30 and X5 for so long... got snarled up in blimmin traffic driving it through town and on the motorway - meh.

• just love the engine sound :D and I do think it is a great-looking vehicle
  • not fussed about not having super dark windows - and my left wing mirror works properly - bit of a novelty
  • there's a bit of a resonance when stopped/going slowly - theory is this may be the new hard engine mounts
  • Jon noted a bit of a tick in the steering - found a bit of minor corrosion on the rack and has cleaned it down thoroughly and used a super-thick grease.

21741896_20200917_050336335_iOS(Large).thumb.jpg.d23badb32ca7be4ee46cd40a55c03053.jpg

Check this out - my gift-boxed bearings as evidence it has been done! :o  Nice touch indeed :D 

1160606408_20200917_091339349_iOS(Large).thumb.jpg.a37141d27646a50648a98e9841451964.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

M5 update

• All going well ...
  • Got Tony from Wheel Magician Welly to tidy up the two right wheels - much nicer and I can stop grimacing when looking at them. No before pics as sorting these was a 'might as well do it now' decision
    477434254_20210215_060230674_iOS(Large).thumb.jpg.e0bc1f389a6ebb84c9c05e73f284db69.jpg1707847950_20210215_060219267_iOS(Large).thumb.jpg.3d587e8ae28507310c78005e91da81b4.jpg

335i

• 1 rim tidied up - never got around to this after buying the car back in 2019...
    1560542657_20210125_185441985_iOS(Large).thumb.jpg.103365b3329d414af822ceb39980bbcc.jpg
    1291135291_20210215_060316072_iOS(Large).thumb.jpg.992b0bc4d54a2ca7ea481da32908cd1e.jpg

X5

• Have had the brake light trifecta pop up randomly when cruising along - then on next restart, cleared. Jon read the codes and it was reporting 'brakes hot'??? and pressure sensor error
  • So it has been in for a thorough service...
    • replace faulty viscous fan hub
    • checked diff oil levels, replace transfer case oil as it was dark
    • brake bleed
    • install new ABS pump - to cover the pressure sensor error, and I've had the new ABS pump sitting idle since it came with the new ECU installed some time ago
    • replace leaking washer motor
    • fix puncture in spare wheel :o 

I do like the X5 but it hasn't exactly been... hassle free!

• Like 3

Have to say I'm a fan of Meguiars PlastX - super fast, easy headlight restoration job. Very little work compared to the Rain-X kit and makes a real difference. In fact, I'm always looking at peoples' headlights and thinking 'give me 10 minutes and those can look great'! 🙄 Used this on the M5 and X5...

Meguiar's PlastX Plastic Cleaner & Polish 296ml - G12310 - Meguiars | Repco New Zealand

• Like 1

That stuff does work a treat on dull headlights. I also used it (lightly) as a test on some scuffed black plastic door jam kick panels and it worked reasonably well too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Have to say I'm a fan of Meguiars PlastX - super fast, easy headlight restoration job. Very little work compared to the Rain-X kit and makes a real difference. In fact, I'm always looking at peoples' headlights and thinking 'give me 10 minutes and those can look great'! 🙄 Used this on the M5 and X5...

Meguiar's PlastX Plastic Cleaner & Polish 296ml - G12310 - Meguiars | Repco New Zealand

It is good stuff, but unless you protect or clear coat the light it will start yellowing again, and the more you polish it, the quicker it will fade again.

22 hours ago, KwS said:

It is good stuff, but unless you protect or clear coat the light it will start yellowing again, and the more you polish it, the quicker it will fade again.

i use Chemical guys Headlight polish and sealant all in one, works great.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 10:05 PM, KwS said:

Yup - have applied the RainX sealant from after doing the PlastX...

Update...

E60 M5

• Going great - thoroughly enjoyed it on the last two club runs (Wairarapa and Feilding). 
  • Need to sort the paint bits and pieces

F30 335i

• Daily driver going well - still get a bit of rattle despite the engine cover being re-fastened by two mechanics 🤔

E53 X5 4.4i

• intermittent ABS trifecta continued - so had it in at Driscolls for troubleshooting - faulty brake light switch replaced, steering angle sensor checked and recalibrated - but it ended up being a faulty pressure sensor in the brand-new ABS pump from the final MBI claim!!! Good to have it sorted but there goes more $$...  🙄 Plenty of labour and a $600 pressure sensor.
  • Noticed a clicking on right lock when in the car park at work - in at Driscolls again and turned out to be CV joint... RF boot was torn etc. Looking at my notes in here - this was a 'fix soon' item from 2019... 🤦‍♂️
  • Driver's seat leather needs a clean and tidy up again... Xmas holidays job I'd say.

Wife's Mazda Atenza - sold via TradeMe and replaced with a 2012 Audi Q3 Quattro S-line 2.0TFSI. She loves it and it is a nice vehicle, but ... not so happy with it today! Check engine light, EPC (Engine Power Control) warning light on and engine running rough. It's getting towed tomorrow morning for dealer and MBI to resolve 😕  

And in other news I have acquired a 2001 E38 750i  SWB individual - which Jon is working on at his leisure... Special? Yes. Sensible? Unlikely...

20211104_080307726_iOS.jpg.aa2669587ee2c8deb8d09e94f8ff9a90.jpg

• Like 12

Wow - an e38 750! It must be one of very last ones.

Congrats on the BMW 'V' trifecta - V8, V10, V12!

Edited by treone
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

One picture of the 750i?! - come on, we need more  than that! 😆

Here's a couple from before we picked it up... had been sitting for a couple of years.

246313766_204466971687646_3897759160838517408_n.thumb.jpg.2447df0cb437bf874a8b56c714b17b59.jpg245271532_4781036061915880_6033586634236286638_n.thumb.jpg.9b4c2aa39b0e858a27f6e74ac55a7fcb.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, balancerider said:

At least you’ve avoided the most troublesome number of cylinders in a BMW @TermiPeteNZ? The Audi is trying to tell you something… 😂

Maaaybe... Q3 turned out to be just a coil fortunately. #sorted