Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Bravo

Re-programming radio from Japanese frequency to Europe without band expander

Hi, just wondering how to re-program a radio back to European frequency from Japanese frequency range without a band expander. I own an F20 116i 2012, and tried Jochen's instruction but they didn't work.

Any ideas?

You need to do some coding. 

HU_(cic/nbt/entry)
RADIO_COUNTRY => ECE
FM_DEEMPHASIS => 50us
AF_FUNKTION => af_ein

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:01 PM, Charl said:

How do you do the coding? thanks

Drop me a PM and ill tell you how

On 6/28/2019 at 3:01 PM, Charl said:

Same Issue trying to expand 2012 116i radio frequency? Not sure how to reprogram, also not sure if I can change the sat nav map from JAP to NZ?

On 7/26/2019 at 12:22 PM, francoisv said:

On 7/26/2019 at 12:22 PM, francoisv said:

Hi, any chance you could help me get started on doing my coding for a 2011 e91 320i?

5 hours ago, Billo said:

Hi, any chance you could help me get started on doing my coding for a 2011 e91 320i?

happy to code for you. .021 0894 1411

On 12/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, promo said:

Thanks but I was hoping to have a crack at it myself.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:30 PM, Johnny Bravo said:

Hi, just wondering how to re-program a radio back to European frequency from Japanese frequency range without a band expander. I own an F20 116i 2012, and tried Jochen's instruction but they didn't work.

Any ideas?

Have just done mine using instructions from an old post here.. ?

On 12/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, promo said:

Guys, just had Pramod help me with recoding of my 2010 528i Japa radio, supposedly this had been done by the dealer but whilst it would bring in the NZ stations, reception was lousy.  Suggested fix was a NZ new module at $1100 plus labour plus GST.  Pramod was able to reprogramme the existing module using just his laptop and expertise - it all took just a few minutes and the results was excellent.  Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Hi does anyone know how to change Japanese radio freq to New Zealand  is there any one in the bay of plenty or is there a way I could do it myself  I don’t have an m button as is saw in one other post   My car is f15 2016 X5.  Any help would be appreciated 

On 8/1/2020 at 8:05 PM, Alex burroughs said:

Hi does anyone know how to change Japanese radio freq to New Zealand  is there any one in the bay of plenty or is there a way I could do it myself  I don’t have an m button as is saw in one other post   My car is f15 2016 X5.  Any help would be appreciated 

Did you have any luck finding someone? I have a 2007 E61 550i that has had the radio done but reception is terrible. Keen to find a solution.

hi from the uk, sorry to bring this back to life but im in the same boat with my japanese e90 😥, i've managed to change the freg to 108mz but the reception is poor and cant find a solution and its driving me nuts !

Edited by jdm bm

try changing the other CTUNE coding as well

its definitely the CCC.ANT you need to change. 

9 hours ago, promo said:

its definitely the CCC.ANT you need to change. 

yes but i cant find where 😫, the video i followed on youtube the guy changed it in the ctune module but that was on the E60 and when i tried on my 2010 E90 i discovered i had no ctune module so im now stuck !, what directed me here was my cousin lives in NZ and he said you guys have lots of Jap import Bmw's and i discovered on here that its obviously do able but how ! PLEASE 🙏

Just change your vo then recode unit

Edited by promo

20 hours ago, jdm bm said:

yes but i cant find where 😫, the video i followed on youtube the guy changed it in the ctune module but that was on the E60 and when i tried on my 2010 E90 i discovered i had no ctune module so im now stuck !, what directed me here was my cousin lives in NZ and he said you guys have lots of Jap import Bmw's and i discovered on here that its obviously do able but how ! PLEASE 🙏

If your car is a 2010, you will have a CIC not CCC as the head unit. As promo said, easiest way is to modify the vo and then default code the CIC HU. So you need to remove 807 and 852 from the vo and add 812 and 853.

Edited by F10er

thanks F10er for your input, I've removed 807 and 852 from the vo and added 812 and 853. I then performed a 'Write FA' to both the CAS and NRFM module, and then verified this had been added by reading the VO from both these modules. The attached snip displays them now showing when reading the VO. 

I then defaulted the CIC module by writing to the CIC with an empty .man file. Checking the CIC module settings with NFC dummy seems to show all the available options for language and radio country etc set to what I would expect. However whilst I still have access to radio frequencies up to 108 Mhz, the weak radio reception still seems to be an issue.

I have also attached the .trc file I have extracted from the CIC module which shows the current settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

E90 VO capture.PNG

FSW_PSW.TRC

Not sure then sorry. It's obviously coded correctly so you may have an aerial issue. I have heard that the Jap CIC headunits do suffer from poor reception once converted. You could try changing the values for FM_DEEMPHASIS and see if that makes any difference.

i did change the FM_DEEMPHASIS the other day but made no difference how frustrating 😠, its strange because ive been contacted by someone else here in the uk via a uk bmw forum with the same problem on his jap bm and he never found the solution on the web and hes watching this thread with interest 😊 

Edited by jdm bm

Try changing RADIO_COUNTRY to Australian. I seem to remember reading something about that somewhere. Could be wrong, but worth a shot. I think i may have a CIC .trc file from an NZ new car somewhere. I will try and find it. Maybe you could ask somebody over there with a UK new e90 with CIC if they can share their .trc file with you and compare the two to see if there are any differences. 

Edited by F10er

not sure if this is possible but someone suggested that the modules might need updating after the VO was changed ??