Sign in to follow this  
Debs

Airbag Recall problems afterwards

Has anyone had problems with warning lights coming up after their airbag replacements on a free recall?

I've had the airbag light come on before I even left their premises and they have charged me $1000 to fix this and now within half an hour of leaving the premises with a new clock spring replacement they say they didn't damage I now need a DSC module for $1800 plus installation. Can this be damaged through a spike or similar when they did the original replacement airbag and clock spring. Help I feel I'm being had.

The original documentation from BMW with the airbag recall was there were no faults prior.

probably nothing to do with it , what year , some of the abs units do fail 

replace with secondhand abs module, recoded and recalibrate Steering angle sensor.

2002 BMW  330i  

There was no problems when they received the car but within half an hour of leaving their premises all the lights come up. No lights were ever up prior to the work getting done, seems a little coincidental that after the car is reprogrammed and battery reconnected that there are major faults coming up. The car is always serviced and low mileage and kept in good order.

ok ,most of the 2001 to 2002 e46 that have ASC have the 073 /075 part number abs pump , they pretty much all fail 

earlier ones not so much and later ones not so much 

i sell heaps of this type of abs unit 

call me if you want to get me to check it scan it etc 

have replacements if needed

Hmm, I wouldn't start looking for solutions elsewhere just yet - the problem is that if you do so, the original service centre can just wipe their hands of it.

We have to assume it was an actual BMW dealership?

Totally unacceptable that you were charged for the clock spring, they obviously broke it (edit: or caused it to break). You need to talk to the service centre manager and get your $1000 back. If they won't budge then small claims will be your only option (you're almost guaranteed to win that one).

DSC module... well that's more tricky, how long after the airbag work did that happen? Either way, do NOT pay them the $1800, there will be less expensive options (edit: like Brent above). Do you have a copy of the computer scans you can post here?

Can you drive the car? Do the brakes work fine?

Edited by M3AN

Sit down with the service manager and have a decent chat about it all. 

Half the problem is we are dealing with 20 year old cars which are going to have underlying issues which no one knows about. It's highly unlikely, close to impossible that the DSC module failure has anything to do with the airbag recall. It's like saying since you changed my engine oil the windows don't work

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies its really helpful, the airbag was replaced and the airbag light came up when I started the car in their driveway. They said it was a clock spring which they charged me $1000 to replace.

When they did the clockspring (on another day) I drove the car for about 20mins and then the lights came up (3 of them) which they are now telling me is the DSC module.

There were no lights prior to either the times they had the vehicle and they said they have reprogrammed the car etc with the clock spring. Could they have shorted the DSC or something?

It is a large Auckland BMW Dealership who've got the vehicle.  The car is mobile and the brakes are working fine (at least they were when I drove back with the new set of lights on the same day.

Thanks for all your help.

It's highly unlikely that the DSC light is related to the airbag work, it would be a convoluted path to connect those dots. Treat them as unrelated unless you find otherwise but that doesn't mean it'll cost $1800 to fix.

As a priority get your money back for the clock spring. This is not a wear item and should outlive the car. In cases where they do break it's almost always because somebody has been dicking around with the steering wheel or airbag. If you're too casual it's easy to (re)install the clock spring on the steering wheel/column so that it will tear almost immediately.

Talk to the service manager, I'd be stunned if they resisted fixing this at their cost and refunding you. There's literally no other way for this to break.

As for the DSC lights, you're best to get another quote from a reliable independent BMW workshop (codes read + diagnosis + cost to fix), you may find they have a different position/cost. Where you go depends largely on where in Auckland you live but @BM WORLD's offer above is probably a good place to start, I'd give Brent a call.

Do keep us posted.

Have seen all sorts of weird and wonderful things in cars including airbags hardwired in and DVD players earthed on airbags so unless you have owned it since you then you can never be too sure what lies beneath