E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

Destined for the garage and the occasional cars and coffee so the boring owner can get off on strangers saying "Wow it's so original".

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Destined for the garage and the occasional cars and coffee so the boring owner can get off on strangers saying "Wow it's so original".

To be fair, with the state of the roads, unsealed road works etc. 

And the retarded NZ tail gating driver who take more interest on their phone than what is in front of them. 

I'd be hesitant on driving something like that regularly. 

Maybe on the more quieter back roads. 

Defiantly not in the cities or on state highways. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 9:00 PM, leonf said:

Hard to see a better, more original 325 Coupe becoming available.   Maybe a new high water mark coming here.   Lets blame Covid and no overseas holidays for this I reckon.

But there was.  Last year.  Before Covid.  More original.  Just 51k kms, never had paint.  It didn't see the market, though.  Just quietly changed hands thank you very much.

I'd "blame" us catching up with some of the prices in Europe and rest of world.  Made a bundle in your property portfolio?  Why not buy that car you've always wanted.  Missed out on Property as the market went ballistic?  Why not have a flutter on that appreciating e30?  

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Olaf said:

It didn't see the market, though.

This is the crux of it - at least us plebs will have an idea of what this one is 'worth'

• Like 2

11 hours ago, coop said:

To be fair, with the state of the roads, unsealed road works etc. 

And the retarded NZ tail gating driver who take more interest on their phone than what is in front of them. 

I'd be hesitant on driving something like that regularly. 

Maybe on the more quieter back roads. 

Defiantly not in the cities or on state highways. 

The person who buys this will happily cruise to work in (say) $100k worth of Audi, Mercedes, BMW or whatever. But take a lower value older car on the road? Naah... ;)

31 minutes ago, balancerider said:

This is the crux of it - at least us plebs will have an idea of what this one is 'worth'

Something like this is exceptional. It's not run-of-the-mill. It's price really should have no relevance to a PFL 320i, but 'market forces' will say it does.
We may find out what someone with a healthy bank balance is prepared to pay for an unusual example.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

I'm out of the running at $40K+ 😤 was looking forward to getting some of those E30 M3 value gains over the next few years. Will have to settle for an insurance adjustment on the current E30.

We took a genuine one owner sub 125K km Brilliantrot example on trade for a new 1M and sold it to the CJ dealer principle the same day for $17K in 2011. Have they doubled in price in 10 years? Yes they have. Are they worth double? Probably not.

As @Olaf alluded to, there's been a few off books trades of M325i's recently, but they're hardly representative of the market, seeing as the buyers pool for those trades is exactly one.

Fag packet calculations would suggest there's still 34(+) kiwi new MT2 M325i's floating around, and I bet this auction sees another couple of cars come to market - perhaps the white M325i down in Dunedin that sold in hours preempted this sale? I'd argue the white car was the better purchase however...

...Speaking of "is this where the E30 market is now?" This 325i SE/a at 19K is absolutely laughable, I mean, reserve not met ffs!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ghost Chip said:

Reassuring to see that someone else finds that price pretty steep for what the car is.

I think it's quite the reverse.  Harm is suggesting it's incredible that that car hasn't already met reserve.

35 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

I'm out of the running at $40K+ 😤 was looking forward to getting some of those E30 M3 value gains over the next few years. Will have to settle for an insurance adjustment on the current E30.

We took a genuine one owner sub 125K km Brilliantrot example on trade for a new 1M and sold it to the CJ dealer principle the same day for $17K in 2011. Have they doubled in price in 10 years? Yes they have. Are they worth double? Probably not.

As @Olaf alluded to, there's been a few off books trades of M325i's recently, but they're hardly representative of the market, seeing as the buyers pool for those trades is exactly one.

Fag packet calculations would suggest there's still 34(+) kiwi new MT2 M325i's floating around, and I bet this auction sees another couple of cars come to market - perhaps the white M325i down in Dunedin that sold in hours preempted this sale? I'd argue the white car was the better purchase however...

Exactly one?  On the contrary.  I know a couple of people interested (not merely spectating).  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I think it's quite the reverse.  Harm is suggesting it's incredible that that car hasn't already met reserve.

I don’t think I get what you mean.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Exactly one?  On the contrary.  I know a couple of people interested (not merely spectating).  

My mistake, I took your post to mean a car not technically for sale had changed hands. If you've got any other leads along those lines, myself and two other friends are looking for mint M325i's so please do get in touch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost Chip said:

Reassuring to see that someone else finds that price pretty steep for what the car is.

51 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I find the price pretty steep and I'm incredulous that the reserve hasn't been met.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

...Speaking of "is this where the E30 market is now?" This 325i SE/a at 19K is absolutely laughable, I mean, reserve not met ffs!!

Different if it was a factory manual... The difference between autos and manuals is big. The auto E30's are just LAME as a collectable. Then, for me, it has to be original to be worth decent money. I want the build sheet to match what it is.

I've been thinking about Dads old 325i SE. We sold it for $8500 in early 2016... but wish I hadn't - I knew I'd regret it!

We're thinking about selling his 1929 Ford Model A which is probably worth about $30K, so wondered if paying $20K to get his E30 back would be silly... I probably would though - especially since it's HIS money 🤣! It was a "collector" who purchased it, so it's probably in similar condition to when he sold it.

20 minutes ago, Allanw said:

Different if it was a factory manual... The difference between autos and manuals is big. The auto E30's are just LAME as a collectable. Then, for me, it has to be original to be worth decent money. I want the build sheet to match what it is.

I've been thinking about Dads old 325i SE. We sold it for $8500 in early 2016... but wish I hadn't - I knew I'd regret it!

We're thinking about selling his 1929 Ford Model A which is probably worth about $30K, so wondered if paying $20K to get his E30 back would be silly... I probably would though - especially since it's HIS money 🤣! It was a "collector" who purchased it, so it's probably in similar condition to when he sold it.

Tell me who it was and I’ll buy it off him 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

My mistake, I took your post to mean a car not technically for sale had changed hands. If you've got any other leads along those lines, myself and two other friends are looking for mint M325i's so please do get in touch.

there ya go, five keen buyers in the market where one is for sale from a limited pool of thirty-something.  if that's not demand pushing up price, what is?! 😉

52 minutes ago, Allanw said:

mate, you're quibbling about an auto, and overlooking it's crack-free dashboard!!! 😎

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Olaf said:

there ya go, five keen buyers in the market where one is for sale from a limited pool of thirty-something.  if that's not demand pushing up price, what is?! 😉

8 hours ago, Olaf said:

But there was.  Last year.  Before Covid.  More original.  Just 51k kms, never had paint.  It didn't see the market, though.  Just quietly changed hands thank you very much.

Just quoting. Market / no market who knows.

8 hours ago, gjm said:

The person who buys this will happily cruise to work in (say) $100k worth of Audi, Mercedes, BMW or whatever. But take a lower value older car on the road? Naah... ;)

Hah, fair point. 
but no one will shed a tear if a $100k modern is rammed up the arse by a texting driver and written off. 
This on the other hand... Good luck finding another. 

4 minutes ago, coop said:

This on the other hand... Good luck finding another. 

Apparently there's up to 34 of them around...? ;)

One of them selling at an elevated price point will bring out 1 or two more. Sadly, they're likely to stay in the hands of the few people who have the disposable income to buy them, and keep them locked away.

11 minutes ago, gjm said:

and keep them locked away.

This alone is a damn shame. They deserve to be driven and enjoyed.

• Like 3

Exactly what does locked away mean- driven once a year or so I guess?

I have two very humble excellent condition low km modern classic cars and keep them locked away. One rego on hold and the other up to date and does get driven once a month or so. It keeps her out there and lubed up, but not so much that she gets stone chips or other damage from UV etc.

My old henna e30 is starting to look attractive again to me, and i see is still for sale...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gjm said:

Apparently there's up to 34 of them around...? ;)

One of them selling at an elevated price point will bring out 1 or two more. Sadly, they're likely to stay in the hands of the few people who have the disposable income to buy them, and keep them locked away.

One of these is getting driven regularly.  You guys need to stop making these broad assumptions.

At least four of these have been sold in the last 12 months, not including the white one in Dunedin, and excluding the red one currently for sale.  

1 hour ago, KwS said:

This alone is a damn shame. They deserve to be driven and enjoyed.

Agree with this completely. But I guess, to each their own eh.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, leichtbau said:

On my hunt for an e30, I was messaging someone on fb and found out that they were selling a M325i. Can’t afford it but I enquired since I was curious, and the price was definitely beyond my budget 😂. They’re definitely out there. 

Curious. For those still trying to buy an E30 in this market. Why?

Investment?

• Like 2