E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

M20: “Let me sing you the song of my people.”

They all do that to varying degrees, but that definitely needs a valve adjustment at minimum. 0.10” on the feeler gauge is correct but they get slightly quieter at 0.08” at the expense of some power. Could also be injectors, which can get super clicky.

worst case - it needs new valve guides. 

Yeah, I quickly looked it up and realised that was the case.

9 hours ago, Olaf said:

In my opinion, as a good tidy SE 4 dr is now at ~$30k, how can a primo cabrio be worth less?  Of course, anything's only what someone's prepared to pay.  How much to replace?  I'd be expecting a valuation of circa $35k on this car.  

There’s not the same level of demand for the cabrio versus the coupes, especially the M-Tech versions, unfortunately so that normally sees a comparable vert priced lower than a coupe.

That said Andy’s is very tidy, and I would say around $30k value, so insure for $35k. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

There’s not the same level of demand for the cabrio versus the coupes, especially the M-Tech versions, unfortunately so that normally sees a comparable vert priced lower than a coupe.

That said Andy’s is very tidy, and I would say around $30k value, so insure for $35k. 

Where would that leave a Baur? The bastard child of a coupe and a cabrio (although they were originally produced because BMW didn't have a cabbie in the line-up), or a rarer, sturdier, better handling and more practical and leak-free way to enjoy open-air motoring?

Andy (The Godfather) struggled to move his mt1 manual 325i cabrio for less than $15K did he not?

I'm sure I'll piss off plenty of people with this, but imho the order of desirability for E30's reads thus:

• M3
  • 2dr
  • Touring
  • 4dr
  • Convertible
  • Baur
  • Sad 2

I can't fault your logic there, Harm.  Though isn't it odd, the rarist of all is the Baur, with fewer produced than even the M3.   You'd think they'd be more desirable than a Cab based on increased rigidity resulting in better driving dynamics?

The MT1 Cabrio sale you mention needs a 'when'.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Noting good;  noting bad?  I think I recall that the convertibles had a delay in applying the LCI, or at least tail lights wise, is that right?  So is this essentially a pre-LCI or?

Of the MT2 kit on that vert, I thought it looks dreadful on that particular car (in the photos provided).  Visually heavy, and is it on 14's? Certainly it's only 14J6.5 vs 15J7; if in doubt ask your GF about the difference that half inch makes 😎

Probably needs 16x8s?  Paint appears very good in the potatocam images.

pics nabbed from the ad, for ref:

1750389332_ScreenShot2021-05-30at07_30_28.thumb.png.d020f850089821befb6df5c7030c1352.png

87093160_ScreenShot2021-05-30at07_27_44.thumb.png.e73dfa878a17956431cfaf2260ad1b6b.png

(PS - very low kms though!)

Edited by Olaf
added pics
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yup, very under-wheeled for that kit and that much low. Would look a lot better on 16s or 17s.

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Though isn't it odd, the rarist of all is the Baur, with fewer produced than even the M3.   You'd think they'd be more desirable than a Cab based on increased rigidity resulting in better driving dynamics?

Scarcity is not the only factor, some cars were produced in low numbers for a reason, lack of demand, or too expensive, etc.

Whist the Baur may have better dynamics, a drop top is more of a cruiser than a sports car. For me, the roof design on the Baur was always an after-thought (and personally I’m not a fan of a targa top) whilst the BMW vert has much cleaner lines, especially with the roof down.

It is also quite market dependent, UK has much more demand (and availability) for the vert, whereas NZ is a much, much smaller drop top market.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2021 at 10:37 AM, E28E30 said:

Noting good;  noting bad?  I think I recall that the convertibles had a delay in applying the LCI, or at least tail lights wise, is that right?  So is this essentially a pre-LCI or?

Sort of.

all facelift E30 cabbys are 1990 built or later. This means in NZ they are usually registered as 1991 or 1992.

early prefacelift cabbies all have lower rear arches than thier coupe and sedan brothers of the same age. the lower arches were then carried through to all facelift E30s.

and that tech2 kit is fiberglass. it is not possible to fit tech2 kit onto a prefacelift car.

re my manual conversion. yes it is converted because thats my preference, but everything is all OE parts, and i have all of the automatic stuff here to convert the car back if i want to. it can be back to original in 6 hours and noone would ever know.

And i have just sold a M20B25 for more than the asking price in that add.

• Like 1

btw, ill freely admit the convertible version is not the drivers E30. its a lot heavier, and flexes a lot more too.

as Jon says, it is a cruiser

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

I can't fault your logic there, Harm.  Though isn't it odd, the rarist of all is the Baur, with fewer produced than even the M3.   You'd think they'd be more desirable than a Cab based on increased rigidity resulting in better driving dynamics?

The MT1 Cabrio sale you mention needs a 'when'.

https://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/59377-e30-mtech1-cabriolet-nz-new-manual-1989/

https://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/63946-oldest-member-checking-in-hi/

God it was 2017... Seems like yesterday ha

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

btw, ill freely admit the convertible version is not the drivers E30. its a lot heavier, and flexes a lot more too.

as Jon says, it is a cruiser

that's your cue to music!

https://youtu.be/WpTOfr5TeOQ

Edited by Olaf

1 hour ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

Sort of.

all facelift E30 cabbys are 1990 built or later. This means in NZ they are usually registered as 1991 or 1992.

early prefacelift cabbies all have lower rear arches than thier coupe and sedan brothers of the same age. the lower arches were then carried through to all facelift E30s.

and that tech2 kit is fiberglass. it is not possible to fit tech2 kit onto a prefacelift car.

Thank you @_ethrty-Andy_ so the Facebook one iS a facelift, but has the smaller rear lamps?  May need my glasses on... 

I think your auto to manual swap, if anything, adds to the value of yours as it comes with all the parts to return it to factory issued spec, a great approach imho.

2 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

And i have just sold a M20B25 for more than the asking price in that add.

History’s a bit foggy though. Apparently engine was from a 320i that was auctioned off turners as crash damaged, then was put in the seller’s 320i wagon which sat for 2.5 years with the occasional startup to move the car but without stretching its legs, and decent leak from the rocker cover and sump.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:33 AM, Ghost Chip said:

Reserve was 15k. Was really keen on that car, really gutted that I missed out, apparently someone called him shortly after and they worked out a deal so have changed hands now. I thought it was too late in the night to hassle someone to negotiate so left it til this morning, guess I was wrong. Be curious to see if it was someone from here that got it?

I saw this at Caffeine and Classics today, good looking car.

lots of positives to it but I would have been budgeting a full respray for sure...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

I saw this at Caffeine and Classics today, good looking car.

lots of positives to it but I would have been budgeting a full respray for sure...

Oh yeah definitely. The seller was going to give out some extra goodies to whoever took the car and one of them was 4 or 5L of the correct paint colour to respray it with.

• Like 1

Oh my, stunning. Might have to drive over to Ranfurly next week if the weather calms down.

• Like 1

that is really well presented! and reasonably priced in current market..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, qube said:

that is really well presented! and reasonably priced in current market..

And it sold within 4 hours.  Gone!

• Sad 1

Why did it go so quick?! Can someone buy a tidy one for me if it’s well priced and within my budget and I’ll pay you back when I get back to my phone 😂 lowkey serious. My timing is awful.

1 minute ago, Ghost Chip said:

Why did it go so quick?! Can someone buy a tidy one for me if it’s well priced and within my budget and I’ll pay you back when I get back to my phone 😂 lowkey serious. My timing is awful.

Hehe sure sure man

2 hours ago, Ghost Chip said:

It was an auto 320i sedan though.

Best approach is probably to spam the E30 Facebook groups and wave some cash around and tempt all the lads with projects / decent cars that never would otherwise see the market...

3 minutes ago, Sammo said:

It was an auto 320i sedan though.

Best approach is probably to spam the E30 Facebook groups and wave some cash around and tempt all the lads with projects / decent cars that never would otherwise see the market...

Looked very well maintained though, so all I’d need really is a powertrain, which I’m picking up this weekend in Tauranga. Actually if anyone has a Ute and not using it this Saturday, would be great if I could borrow it - will compensate of course. Otherwise it’s going in the back of my hatchback 😅

That is quite literally what I did last night 😂. Hoping something right turns up.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ghost Chip said:

Looked very well maintained though, so all I’d need really is a powertrain, which I’m picking up this weekend in Tauranga. Actually if anyone has a Ute and not using it this Saturday, would be great if I could borrow it - will compensate of course. Otherwise it’s going in the back of my hatchback 😅

That is quite literally what I did last night 😂. Hoping something right turns up.

If you've lined up a B25 and tranny, I'd be looking at this little beauty to re-power

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3033086804?bof=8qTjifg7

5 minutes ago, Sammo said:

If you've lined up a B25 and tranny, I'd be looking at this little beauty to re-power

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3033086804?bof=8qTjifg7

Or this for $2k as a real project :)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3012129891.htm