E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

5 hours ago, gofaster said:

I also went with Classic Cover for both my GTi-R and the N54 converted 130i ( all declared).  Happy with agreed value, premiums and excess. Upfront premium is only thing to consider.

GTiR? Nice! I had one in my boy racing days.  Ran 15 psi on practically a fully stock car and it used to pretty much blow everything else way including a mid 12 sec evo 1.  

Also used to have one in early 2000's doing a lot of bent sprints at Ruapuna. On 18 psi, Cold air box, 3" exhaust, stock top mount I/C, ran 12.6 on hot day, and road tyres. Awesome little cars and something a bit different to Evo's and WRX's. (apologies for stealing thread)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gofaster said:

Also used to have one in early 2000's doing a lot of bent sprints at Ruapuna. On 18 psi, Cold air box, 3" exhaust, stock top mount I/C, ran 12.6 on hot day, and road tyres. Awesome little cars and something a bit different to Evo's and WRX's. (apologies for stealing thread)

Nice! 
I lost my licence twice thanks to GTiR + Young, dumb and full of cum. I should have invested in an E30 M3 instead. 

• Haha 3

This popped up on my daily search update from TradeMe in the week, but by the time I clicked on the link someone had hit the $7k buy now.

FFF8D54E-2BE4-4772-9FC8-EBEDD9E96E04.jpeg

Not the tidiest example but seems pretty good buying for a 325i at $7k.

54 minutes ago, adro said:

Bags! If you did buy it @Ghost Chip would happily pick it up for you if the seller won’t courier to you, you can arrange pick up/courier from me

Edited by E28E30
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Bags! If you did buy it @Ghost Chip would happily pick it up for you if the seller won’t courier to you, you can arrange pick up/courier from me

Thanks for the offer mate but I’m not in the market for one. I realised the other day that my car actually has a tech 1 steering wheel. It’s like finding a 5 dollar note in a pocket without knowing where it came from.

Edited by Ghost Chip
  • Like 1

What are we guessing for the black Tech2?

Looks very clean, but not concourse and kind of feels like the recent Mtech frenzy has died down a little.

I'm going with $35K.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sammo said:

What are we guessing for the black Tech2?

Looks very clean, but not concourse and kind of feels like the recent Mtech frenzy has died down a little.

I'm going with $35K.

Hmm good question, Invercargill is a bit of a stretch, dash crack and repair to seat bolster (done quite well) and red number plate surround (bin it), and dent in bonnet, and rough looking front lip… still think $38-40k?

• Like 1

Fuark me I remember when M tech IIs were like 12k. When I saw that 3 years ago I couldn't believe what I had seen. Got offered a 325i manual sedan for 4k. That is the dream now. 40k seems literally insane to me now. What happened?

• Like 1

Similar to housing market I guess.

Supply, demand, hype, FOMO and cheap money.

Add a bit of nostalgia into the mix, and that these people have a bit of coin (or equity) now.

I do get it for a mint Tech1/2, but ridiculous when every man and his dog think their scruffy, neglected 318i sedan is now a gold mine.

It’s happening to any other desirable jap performance car from the 90s as bad or worse.

$40k for a 1JZGTE chaser, anyone?

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Sammo said:

I do get it for a mint Tech1/2, but ridiculous when every man and his dog think their scruffy, neglected 318i sedan is now a gold mine.

It’s happening to any other desirable jap performance car from the 90s as bad or worse.

Yup - and this has been my point for a while. Good cars are worth good money; scruffy ones are not, but many are being listed at - frankly - ridiculous prices. There's more than a little buyers remorse out there.

So many vehicles are becoming VERY expensive. The "extremely rare" byline is accompanying many adverts and acting like clickbait. 2001 Land Cruiser for $45k? Well-worn Hiluxes for $15k++? I've driven both and really don't see the attraction, but presumably someone does.

• Like 1

Suppose when all the Japanese performance cars go up people also have to look elsewhere. Along with the fact they dont make them any more, so the supply is going down rather than up.

Here's a Japanese sedan, nothing super flash just a nice tidy one2108386522_Screenshot_20210807-215235_TradeMe.thumb.jpg.96ef5c170f4c7dbab8a9f8e7ecf6da4d.jpg

• Like 1

Yup the E30 M-Tech tax applies to parts as well as complete cars.

Note to self; check house contents insurance covers car parts in garage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cammsport said:

Mind blown.. 

Needed a refurb too... can't you get them refurbed on Ebay for $750-800?

I would be getting a Nardi or something for less money.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Needed a refurb too... can't you get them refurbed on Ebay for $750-800?

I would be getting a Nardi or something for less money.

Not sure @Sammo, I just got a refurbished one in Germany off eBay delivered to my friend who works for BMW in Munich coincidentally, from the private seller across the other side of country, will land in NZ for $965 all up via DHL.  This was the cheapest I could find.  Even if the Customs GST applies think it was good value.

If you’re not handy refurbishment can cost heaps too: I  got quoted $975 by an Absolute Upholstery here in Wellington to recover my NA MX-5 Nardi wheel, so declined their kind offer.  There are lots of recover kits on the net if you are deft with a needle though.

That TradeMe one looks like you could do a good clean, maybe bit of dye on the worn bits and treatment and it would have fair bit more life before needing to be recovered?

Edited by E28E30
  • Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 12:41 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

This popped up on my daily search update from TradeMe in the week, but by the time I clicked on the link someone had hit the $7k buy now.

Not the tidiest example but seems pretty good buying for a 325i at $7k.

yep its in my driveway now.

i also brought a tech2 325i manual a few weeks back which I will be giving a full restoration. really looking forward to the final result in a few months time.

I am looking for some front sport seats, ideally in black leather but anything considered, if anyone has some lying about. NZ wide is fine. Coupe or Sedan is okay, have the bits here to convert if I need to. Also need a rear pair of premium audio speakers/housings with the tweeters built in. 0273079322

5 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Mind blown.. 

yeap, and at least 2 people out there prepared to pay $10 less than the selling price.
last one i sold was for $2400NZD i shipped to a guy in Toronto where I used to live. 

Parts are not expencive in NZ compared to elsewhere in the world. Nearly half of my sales are to overseas now. Oddly quite a lot goes to Aussy too, not sure why, maybe they had a cash for clunkers scheme at one point ??

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

yep its in my driveway now.

i also brought a tech2 325i manual a few weeks back which I will be giving a full restoration. really looking forward to the final result in a few months time.

That sounds intriguing @_ethrty-Andy_ … any photos of that work in progress?

16 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

That sounds intriguing @_ethrty-Andy_ … any photos of that work in progress?

actually havent started yet. at the moment I bascially travel from Kerikeri to Invercargil for 6-8 weeks straight, and then have 4-6 weeks where i stay in Wellington, next week being the first of the latter, so Im very keen to get cracking!

12 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

actually havent started yet. at the moment I bascially travel from Kerikeri to Invercargil for 6-8 weeks straight, and then have 4-6 weeks where i stay in Wellington, next week being the first of the latter, so Im very keen to get cracking!

Oh wow you’re doing the hard miles, literally :)  are you restoring to sell or keep? Or wait and see!

1 minute ago, E28E30 said:

Oh wow you’re doing the hard miles, literally :)  are you restoring to sell or keep? Or wait and see!

it will be done to a standard where I would be happy to keep, but yes it will be listed as well when finished. I already have my cabby and my race car that I dont use nearly enough!

• Haha 1

Just seen a de-reg shell for sale. No engine, gearbox, diff or interior. Asking $1500.