Facebook group (E30 Classifieds)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Facebook group (E30 Classifieds)

Damn am not on the social

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

Damn am not on the social

Haha gotta be to snap up the deals (well not ‘deals’ at all but you know haha)

Half these cars don’t seem to hit TM

Yea I sold my E36 through Facebook. Trademe would be better if it had some form of messaging app and the fees weren't so expensive. Good to see they're getting some competition. 

Edited by Cammsport
Not that I support Facebook or IT'S lack of competition 😅
  • Like 1

Hmm might have to use a friend when I sell mine…

EB0758A5-2992-4F36-8556-1D57C390DC68.jpeg

• Like 4

However a car of that calibre @E28E30@E28E30 I'd put on TradeMe on a longer auction, with an advertisement on the e30/bmw Facebook pages. Looks amazing! 

• Like 3

On 9/29/2021 at 5:50 AM, Bandit said:

I'm not sure why one would use such a heavy lump as an S54, when there are much lighter alloy blocks in the BMW portfolio with the  S prefix? S55 anyone 🤨

I'm sure the 22kg difference between an S54 and S55 isn't too major. Especially once you add in all the extra weight of the S55 boosted set up, and gearbox. 😉

Depends what car it’s in, 22kg is very noticeable in a smaller / lighter car - especially up the front end in something like an E30. A power to weight comparison of the two engines would also be a telling comparison.

Can confirm its noticeably different to drive, thats between a heavy m50 and lighter m52 alloy block. What ever the weight difference of that is.

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

I'm sure the 22kg difference between an S54 and S55 isn't too major. Especially once you add in all the extra weight of the S55 boosted set up, and gearbox. 😉

Ask Gordon Murray his opinion. 22kg would bring him out in a sweat, and be enough of an issue to change suppliers 😁

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cammsport said:

However a car of that calibre @E28E30@E28E30 I'd put on TradeMe on a longer auction, with an advertisement on the e30/bmw Facebook pages. Looks amazing! 

You’re very kind @Cammsport .  Thank you, it looks great polished up as it was that day.  @Ghost Chip am thinking I would like a factory manual…

Edited by E28E30

1 minute ago, E28E30 said:

am thinking I would like a factory manual…

If that’s the reason why, I’m happy to chuck in an ad for you now 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bandit said:

Ask Gordon Murray his opinion. 22kg would bring him out in a sweat, and be enough of an issue to change suppliers 😁

I'm sure it would. 

But I don't think that would apply here, because you wouldn't be staring with any BMW if the end goal was light weight 🤣

18 hours ago, polley said:

Can confirm its noticeably different to drive, thats between a heavy m50 and lighter m52 alloy block. What ever the weight difference of that is.

17kg off the top of my head. Or about a 1/4 tank of gas. 

I doubt you would be finding much if a significant improvement with thatvkind of weight difference, unless you're driving my MG Midget 

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

I'm sure it would. 

But I don't think that would apply here, because you wouldn't be staring with any BMW if the end goal was light weight 🤣

Murray made it work with the BMW S70 engine in his design of the McLaren F1. All up road version

weight 1138kgs, and the LM 70kgs lighter. 

Of course let's compare apples with apples, as the McLaren is a mid engined beastie. 22kg off the front axle of a rear wheel drive car is substantial, and the benefits in the steering and handling capabilities are immediately obvious to the driver. 

6 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

17kg off the top of my head. Or about a 1/4 tank of gas. 

I doubt you would be finding much if a significant improvement with thatvkind of weight difference, unless you're driving my MG Midget 

I dunno  i found the difference to be quite noticeable. Given all the weights in the front. Even sticking a passenger in the back seat was noticeable. This isn't just toodling around town, but on the track.

I should likely spend more time driving them  than building them I guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polley said:

I dunno  i found the difference to be quite noticeable. Given all the weights in the front. Even sticking a passenger in the back seat was noticeable. This isn't just toodling around town, but on the track.

Even going around town, you’d feel the difference when another person is in the car. Although have never tried with a SUV or a Ute.

17 minutes ago, Ghost Chip said:

Even going around town, you’d feel the difference when another person is in the car. Although have never tried with a SUV or a Ute.

Yep. But 17kg over the front axle where the car is not so affected, or a 22kg lighter engine with significantly more accessories? I think this is more an argument for the sake of an argument, than quantifiable difference in feel or performance. 

A passenger is an entirely different thing, a much bigger difference in a much more important location. We move ballast around quite a bit to suit different stuff, especially on shingle. And the front axle is nowhere near as critical. However we are very particular on co driver and fuel tank positioning 

@dirtydoogle Oh nah, I was merely saying that you don’t have to be on a track to notice any changes when you have another person in the car. I agree, it is a whole different thing. That was really what I was getting at when I commented that, I was just too lazy to explain myself further.

Question for the wiser E30 heads:

Would it be foolish to purchase an E30, sight unseen?

Or is it an acceptable risk in today’s market / buying a 30+ year old car? 

While the car in question does look clean and has had the same owner for 5+ years, I am planning / prepared to spend plenty of money on maintenance/ restoration of anything I buy anyway so niggles won’t be a major factor.

Necessary evil or shall I just wait until us filthy Aucklanders can leave the region (2022/2023😬) ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Question for the wiser E30 heads:

Would it be foolish to purchase an E30, sight unseen?

Or is it an acceptable risk in today’s market / buying a 30+ year old car? 

While the car in question does look clean and has had the same owner for 5+ years, I am planning / prepared to spend plenty of money on maintenance/ restoration of anything I buy anyway so niggles won’t be a major factor.

Necessary evil or shall I just wait until us filthy Aucklanders can leave the region (2022/2023😬) ?

I am sometimes risk averse but after a couple of wines bought my E30, but I had seen it in the flesh and driven it.  Also drove that red M Tech2 that went for $62k before settling in to bid with a wine in hand, then being greatly blown out of the water, made for entertainment at least.  

Reckon there’s enough Forum members around the country to go have a look for you, assume it is out of Auckland otherwise you’d be able to have a Level 3 “picnic” and view while socially distancing.  I am not mechanically minded, but the experts here tell me they’re easy to work on if you are, so does it come down then to the “price v rust”? equation as if the body is sound and it’s cheap enough, does the mechanical stuff matter AS much?

I can sell you a lovely 4 door 😉 but suspect you’re after a manual and a coupe, which I am now too.

@Olaf and @_ethrty-Andy_ and @Ghost Chip what does your experience advise @Sammo?

Edited by E28E30
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does it have a sunroof? If so, definitely inspect. For me, having two, I would want to see it anyway. Or have a trusted inspection.