E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

1 minute ago, Palazzo said:

Does it have a sunroof? If so, definitely inspect. For me, having two, I would want to see it anyway. Or have a trusted inspection.

No, facelift slicktop so ‘lower risk’ - apparently ‘no known rust’ for what that’s worth…

• Like 2

The spec and asking price is a good indication of whether its minimal rust or a major rust bucket. I don’t think there is any E30 that is rust free unless we are talking about some 25k+ price tag.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, qube said:

The spec and asking price is a good indication of whether its minimal rust or a major rust bucket. I don’t think there is any E30 that is rust free unless we are talking about some 25k+ price tag.

Sadly, asking price is no guarantee or even guide of anything. Adverts are often sparse on detail, folk don't know what they re selling, wouldn't know an iS from a SE (or an ordinary spec), and then are 'extravagant' with the truth.

I've seen remarkably good cars at lower prices, and truly horrible examples at megabucks.

Buying sight unseen isn't necessarily a bad idea, but there needs to be rapport between buyer and seller.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

No, facelift slicktop so ‘lower risk’ - apparently ‘no known rust’ for what that’s worth…

I would buy it sight unseen as long as you're aware of the associated risks with doing so. I have bought plenty cars sight unseen and was prepared to take into consideration work that I may have to potentially do before buying the cars. E30's are only going to rise in value as the years go by so unless you're planning to buy a vehicle for pure driving pleasure, I would buy it sight unseen. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BMTHUG said:

I would buy it sight unseen as long as you're aware of the associated risks with doing so. I have bought plenty cars sight unseen and was prepared to take into consideration work that I may have to potentially do before buying the cars. E30's are only going to rise in value as the years go by so unless you're planning to buy a vehicle for pure driving pleasure, I would buy it sight unseen. 

Cheers - definitely budgeting plenty of refreshing, regardless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sammo said:

Cheers - definitely budgeting plenty of refreshing, regardless.

If you're on the Shore I can help with refreshing of stuff you're not comfortable undertaking yourself. I kind of specialize in repairing and restoring these e30's

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BMTHUG said:

If you're on the Shore I can help with refreshing of stuff you're not comfortable undertaking yourself. I kind of specialize in repairing and restoring these e30's

Cheers man! Will hit you up for sure once I do 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sammo It really depends - if it’s modified then I’d be questioning the who/where/when/how/what and is it certed, or has it been serviced at all - any records, I’d look at the WOF sheet to see if it failed on anything or any warnings, list of question goes on. I’d be wary of the “no known rust” statement. Some people are just happy to be ignorant of these issues because they know they’re going to sell it off eventually anyway. Whereas, I would actively look for them as I’m a bit more pedantic about a car I want to keep tidy. I’ve viewed several e36s and e30s before buying mine and honestly, I can say that all of the people who said “no known rust” or some kind of iteration of that, I found rust within the first minute of inspection. Granted, some were surface but I’ve found some to have corrosion as well. I’ve even found on an e30 the left side tray in the boot by the antenna filled with water without the owner knowing.

Personally, the higher the price tag, the more I’d actually want to check in person as I want to be sure that the car is worth the price. That’s mostly because I don’t have a lot of expendable income and only starting to wrench. If you’re neither of that, I would probably approach it as @BMTHUG would, as long as the seller doesn’t seem dodgy, and has recent WOF and reg.

If it’s from someone here that actually posts, I’d buy it sight unseen as most of the members here are enthusiasts and seem to be more trustworthy than the fb counterparts. 

You could potentially ask a favour from the seller or someone here to have a PPI done, and/or maybe ask them to get you a new WOF with vtnz.

In saying that, I missed out on a very tidy one as I was hesitant in buying sight unseen - albeit at the time it was priced relatively a bit on the higher side than market value. So at the end of the day, it’s your money and decision so do your due diligence and go with your gut.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ghost Chip said:

You could potentially ask a favour from the seller or someone here to have a PPI done, and/or maybe ask them to get you a new WOF with vtnz.

@Sammo Depending on where it is located there is most likely a bimmersporter that would go have a look at it for you.

If it stacks up with records and receipts and isn’t going for top $$ then it wouldn’t be much of a risk I reckon.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

@Sammo Depending on where it is located there is most likely a bimmersporter that would go have a look at it for you.

If it stacks up with records and receipts and isn’t going for top $$ then it wouldn’t be much of a risk I reckon.

Cheers, it’s in Cambridge - might cool my heels a touch however and take my time to make sure I get the right one - have a bit of time and money to not just buy first thing that comes along.

The FOMO is real though 😬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live 10mins from Cambridge so can probably take a look if wanted. Both my facelift E30's never had rust, both NZ new and paint condition says they were probably garaged most of their life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/8/2021 at 3:04 PM, E28E30 said:

Hmm might have to use a friend when I sell mine…

EB0758A5-2992-4F36-8556-1D57C390DC68.jpeg

contact @Autoglym, you could engage him as seller's agent.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 12:12 PM, Sammo said:

I did't even know mine was for sale!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/15/2021 at 11:29 AM, E28E30 said:

I am sometimes risk averse but after a couple of wines bought my E30, but I had seen it in the flesh and driven it.  Also drove that red M Tech2 that went for $62k before settling in to bid with a wine in hand, then being greatly blown out of the water, made for entertainment at least.  

Reckon there’s enough Forum members around the country to go have a look for you, assume it is out of Auckland otherwise you’d be able to have a Level 3 “picnic” and view while socially distancing.  I am not mechanically minded, but the experts here tell me they’re easy to work on if you are, so does it come down then to the “price v rust”? equation as if the body is sound and it’s cheap enough, does the mechanical stuff matter AS much?

I can sell you a lovely 4 door 😉 but suspect you’re after a manual and a coupe, which I am now too.

@Olaf and @_ethrty-Andy_ and @Ghost Chip what does your experience advise @Sammo?

I've bought three vehicles remotely, employing the services of Car Inspection Services, VTNZ, and a BMW Dealer, respectively.  

1.  I'd never use Car Inspection Services again, or VTNZ.  Though I kept both vehicles long-term, there was plenty wrong with each purchase that should have been revealed by the test.  In the case of the first, I wouldn't have bought it if the issues had been accurately reported.

2.  In the case of the BMW Dealer, I got a much better report, though there were still a few items missed.  I'm very pleased with the vehicle.

If I was buying a classic by remote control, I'd have a large risk budget.  That is, money I'd be prepared to lose if the car didn't meet my expectations.  It would vary with age, cost, complexity of the vehicle.  I reckon $5k-$7k5 would be about right as risk budget for an e30 - enough to put some rust right, or panel work, or a lot of remedial servicing.   I'd want it genuinely inspected.  I took e30 Andy with me to buy my e30 - he knows them well.  Or I'd commission Jon from Auto 38 to travel and inspect it, I can be assured of an accurate appraisal.  

I've photographed vehicles for those buying remotely, it's quite different to good honest but 'catch my sexy angle please' sales shots.   Up to 200 hi res files shot on a hoist with controlled lighting (often studio flash) to ensure the buyer really gets to see under the arches, all the leaks etc.  A picture tells a thousand words.

If you're buying a car you've got to love it.  Just like a guitar, the right car will speak to you.  You don't shop for your wife on spec, so why shop for a car remotely on spec.  Best done in person, make the connection, fall in love with the real thing, not just an avatar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Olaf thank you, you’re a great resource for people here.  I also would NEVER use Car Inspection Services,. Back in 2004 I bought a low mileage E30 LCI 316i for $4k (those were the days and that was a lot of money), they seemed to not pick up a power steering rack that spewed fluid out at almost the same rate you topped it up, and a blown/faulty idle control thingy.   Sharks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Olaf

Good advice - need to love it - i’m planning on holding the car for a good amount of time (Forever?!?) so shouldn’t rush 👍

• Like 2

I brought my vert sight unseen, just really wanted a facelift vert. Only issue it had was with the roof but there's been a few niggly things thats failed since but otherwise happy. Also brought a e30m50 off a bloke on here, also fine. Sometimes just luck of the draw

• Like 2

Market has gone mad.

Live rego, non-running, no WoF, 'small engine fire'. M20B20 auto swapped to M20B25 manual (cert status not quoted). Will require paint and wiring.

Asking $10k. (Although will consider offers.)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gjm said:

Market has gone mad.

Live rego, non-running, no WoF, 'small engine fire'. M20B20 auto swapped to M20B25 manual (cert status not quoted). Will require paint and wiring.

I got excited for a split second when I saw that pop up.

The other concerning thing is when people immediately comment 'that's cheap' - car is needs cert / panel and paint / god knows whats up with the engine and the interior is completely trashed.

• Like 4

On 10/17/2021 at 1:18 PM, gjm said:

Market has gone mad.

honestly mate you sound like a smashed-avo-eating zoomer sagely pronouncing that the housing market has gone mad (while hoping for a readjustment).  Sure, classic cars are more volatile than houses.  The best buy is an e46, get back into one!

10 hours ago, Olaf said:

honestly mate you sound like a smashed-avo-eating zoomer sagely pronouncing that the housing market has gone mad (while hoping for a readjustment).  Sure, classic cars are more volatile than houses.  The best buy is an e46, get back into one!

C'mon Richard! Non-running, fire-damaged (extent unknown), probably not certed for engine/gearbox swap, and an interior that needs a lot of work? That's not a $10k car, unless it's a vintage Jag or similar!

There are a lot of chancers out there at present, trying to cash in on the E30 boom. Some of the cars available are fabulous and my even represent good value in the medium to long term (even at the currently elevated prices). Others are very poor.

And.. WTF is a 'zoomer'?  :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:  I know I'm old but I didn't think I was that out of touch! 🤣 Lass at work even said she thought I was 'fun' - she might be half my age, but I doubt it!

Edited by gjm
  • Like 2

I think zoomer is the revenge name for gen Z or was it Y?😄

“fire damage easily sorted, I know what I got”.         😁

On 10/16/2021 at 10:16 PM, Olaf said:

If you're buying a car you've got to love it.  Just like a guitar, the right car will speak to you.  You don't shop for your wife on spec, so why shop for a car remotely on spec.  Best done in person, make the connection, fall in love with the real thing, not just an avatar.

It occurs to me that some of the ideas expressed in my post may be a little old-fashioned!  For those of you who’ve found love or more through technology, whether use of avatars, swiping left/right on Tinder/Grindr/Bumble etc I meant no disrespect 🙂

6632D4B6-32FB-4155-ABBE-B579079A091B.thumb.jpeg.62b4d4f26e4c8b1011856351a0174be0.jpeg

Down on my knees with some grinder action in the kitchen 😎

Edited by Olaf
  • Haha 6

Another high dollar E30 Build, different approach - not a fan of air but it does look really nice, probably more universal appeal than the orange one  😉

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3316465811.htm

BD60F231-A9CC-4DD2-82C1-E7E96632DD5B.jpeg

81D50A47-C63A-43FD-BF7F-48840EEAA99B.jpeg

Or you could save $72,000 and get this same-same but different one.

Automatic V8, loud wheels and Calypso (?) paint as well with 4 headlights 😎

DBD2D6EB-282D-4705-9AE2-2846CA29E1C3.jpeg

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1