E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

So a standard dealers approach.

But not being a dealer he can avoid any laws that protect the buyer.

In some ways worse than any dealer. Usually keep the numbers low enough to avoid pating tax too. Or registers the vehicles under the wife's name.

The seller declares he is InTrade so the CGA applies to all his sales. Read his TradeMe feedback before casting aspersions on his business and character guys.

No affiliation.

Edited by Bandit
sp
  • Thanks 1

That's good. Buyers are protected to an extent then.

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

So a standard dealers approach.

But not being a dealer he can avoid any laws that protect the buyer.

In some ways worse than any dealer. Usually keep the numbers low enough to avoid pating tax too. Or registers the vehicles under the wife's name.

1 hour ago, Ghost Chip said:

@gjm I’d rather bid the first dollar on yours mate 😉.

Because he has sold a few cars already doesn’t he need to be licensed as a dealer?

He has several TradeMe accounts, and sells on Facebook. He was kicked out of a Land Rover owners group after a couple of sales proved to be extremely unlike the description, so he started his own group.

He's been reported for trading but obviously nothing has come of it.

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

The seller declares he is InTrade so the CGA applies to all his sales. Read his TradeMe feedback before casting aspersions on his business and character guys.

No affiliation.

I'm only quoting based on experience and reports!

As I said, I'm sure he does have some great cars. Sadly a well-reported number have not been.

3 hours ago, Bandit said:

No affiliation.

I know what i've seen, and it's not all rosy. Buyer beware and all that.

• Like 1

Positively raining cars the last 24 hours - I'm guessing TM was doing free listings?

Most interesting to see how these go:

@E28E30 Twinning? Manual Red 320i SE sedan in very clean albeit not perfect shape (needs chrome grill and a wheel cap):

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3325636411?bof=ZXytWsBd

And I'm eagerly awaiting images of this silver manual 320i SE 2 door - UK import but has been here since 1993:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320i/listing/3325927365?bof=oOiIhbKX

1635226175.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Positively raining cars the last 24 hours - I'm guessing TM was doing free listings?

Most interesting to see how these go:

@E28E30 Twinning? Manual Red 320i SE sedan in very clean albeit not perfect shape (needs chrome grill and a wheel cap):

Was free listings yesterday @Sammo ;) I saw that SE, 320i v my 325i but did do a double take! If I could magic it’s gearbox across to mine…

The silver SE used to be listed quite frequently this/last year. The seller wanted $12-13k back then but this was before E30-ageddon.   It was tidy, had minor rust I think

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

Was free listings yesterday @Sammo ;) I saw that SE, 320i v my 325i but did do a double take! If I could magic it’s gearbox across to mine…

The silver SE used to be listed quite frequently this/last year. The seller wanted $12-13k back then but this was before E30-ageddon.   It was tidy, had minor rust I think

Ahhhhh I wondered if it was that same one, been for sale off and on over past 18 months or so I think?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gaz said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320i/listing/3325927365?bof=oOiIhbKX

@Sammo if you get this then getting rid of the renowned steering has to be first on the list. They are renown for failing

I must admit, I had scanned their products in my 'pre build' planning  (I quite like their slotted gear knob) but think I'll just end up manning up and getting a $$$$$ Mtech 1 or 2 370mm.

Therapy+SL+Arturo+4+sq.jpeg

• Like 1

I've just re-read the first post on this thread, from all the way back in July 2019, a whole two years and three months ago, where @Blackie had linked it for a new member.

A FL manual 325i coupe with M-Tech bodykit (can't remember if a genuine M325i) for a whopping $15k. If one were listed for that price now then the seller would get trampled in the rush of buyers. Market price would be near double that now I would suggest, (or waaaay above if was an M325i) pretty good returns for anyone that bought an E30 as an investment back then. Conflicted views on that as I'm not keen on "our" cars being turned into investment items that drive the enthusiasts out of the market, but on the other hand makes mine worth more - not that I would ever sell them.

• Like 4

I've been thinking this today as I've just been given a company car so having two cars sit at home all week isn't that practical. Logic says sell the e30 and e36, and buy a replacement, cashing in on current market rates but could I do it? Not sure... 

The best time to buy an E30 or House in Auckland is "Two years ago" 

You can't drive a house but you can kind of sleep in an E30.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Sammo said:

The best time to buy an E30 or House in Auckland is "Two years ago" 

You can't drive a house but you can kind of sleep in an E30.

Depends on the E30 ;)

Would need to put a mattress down in the touring, as there is a rear bar right where my back curves, which doesn't make for a comfortable sleep. 

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2020 at 4:21 PM, Sammo said:

Would love to get a good 325i manual coupe at some point in the next year or so as a 'forever car' to restomod... guess I would be looking at $15k plus and a chunk of change for sorting it properly...

A little sobering to think 12 months later my budget for this has more than doubled...

At least my house has 'gone up' $300K 

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Simple, re-mortgage the house to utilise the increased equity and spend that on an E30..!!

Reminds me of the early ‘00s in the UK when lots of people were doing that to buy new cars, great investment - not!!

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Reminds me of the early ‘00s in the UK when lots of people were doing that to buy new cars, great investment - not!!

I remember the 200k houses, with a 50k car on the driveway. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah, with total borrowing of 195k against them, and then the GFC hit and they were a 150k house with a 25k car and 194k owing against them... whoops!

At least if you spend the money on an E30 you know it's a solid investment right...??:MotherOfGusta-min:

Every time I get caught bringing more parts into the house I always justify it by saying they are an investment in precious metals... especially the E30 M3 bits.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gaz said:

I've been thinking this today as I've just been given a company car so having two cars sit at home all week isn't that practical. Logic says sell the e30 and e36, and buy a replacement, cashing in on current market rates but could I do it? Not sure... 

don't do it GAZZAAAA I won't let you! lol

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yeah, with total borrowing of 195k against them, and then the GFC hit and they were a 150k house with a 25k car and 194k owing against them... whoops!

At least if you spend the money on an E30 you know it's a solid investment right...??:MotherOfGusta-min:

Every time I get caught bringing more parts into the house I always justify it by saying they are an investment in precious metals... especially the E30 M3 bits.

Given the age the parts are now rare antiques!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sammo said:

A little sobering to think 12 months later my budget for this has more than doubled...

At least my house has 'gone up' $300K 

I had a 2014 F20 116i which I paid $30k for in 2017. In 2018 a black Mtech 1 came up for sale for $18.5k, so I put the F20 up for sale for $24k. Luckily I sold it within two weeks and I went straight away and picked up the Mtech 1 ($16k after bargaining and letting the previous owner keep a lot of extra parts that weren’t original to the car). $16k for this car was asking top dollar in 2018 but I always wanted a black Mtech 1 and didn’t mind paying for an overpriced car at that time. (The asking price of $18.5k at that time put a lot people off and I was the first to go see the car). 

Moral of the story, the longer you wait, the more you will have to budget. If you see one that’s ticking all the boxes, just pull the  trigger. 

Edited by Contrails
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BMTHUG said:

don't do it GAZZAAAA I won't let you! lol

Haha it's a hard one bro, I wouldn't let the e30 go for less than 30k which gets a e60 m5, c63. Throw the e36 wagon in and I'm looking at e46 m3s etc.. the tempt is real

1 hour ago, Contrails said:

I had a 2014 F20 116i which I paid $30k for in 2017. In 2018 a black Mtech 1 came up for sale for $18.5k, so I put the F20 up for sale for $24k. Luckily I sold it within two weeks and I went straight away and picked up the Mtech 1 ($16k after bargaining and letting the previous owner keep a lot of extra parts that weren’t original to the car). $16k for this car was asking top dollar in 2018 but I always wanted a black Mtech 1 and didn’t mind paying for an overpriced car at that time. (The asking price of $18.5k at that time put a lot people off and I was the first to go see the car). 

Moral of the story, the longer you wait, the more you will have to budget. If you see one that’s ticking all the boxes, just pull the  trigger. 

Nothing truer... I was waiting on a facelift vert, paid 10k for one 6ish years ago which was alot at the time but now looks like a bargain 

• Like 2

Agree with @Contrails and @Gaz. It’s only been a few months since I took a leap on mine and I’m pretty sure I would sell it a bit more even if I listed it with $1 reserve on TM. Also the same reason why I may not sell it ever, as it would be very hard to buy one again!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gaz said:

Haha it's a hard one bro, I wouldn't let the e30 go for less than 30k which gets a e60 m5, c63. Throw the e36 wagon in and I'm looking at e46 m3s etc.. the tempt is real

Nothing truer... I was waiting on a facelift vert, paid 10k for one 6ish years ago which was alot at the time but now looks like a bargain 

hahaha still doesn't give you the enjoyment that driving an e30 does. I'll be honest, there is just something about these old boxes that does it for me. I would sell every car in my fleet just to keep my e30. the e60, the e23, the e28 and the e46 can all go hahha

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, BMTHUG said:

I would sell every car in my fleet just to keep my e30. the e60, the e23, the e28 and the e46 can all go hahha

There must be room enough for the e28! 😀

Edited by C-130 Hercules
  • Sad 1