E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

Checking it out this afternoon 😁 Needs a bit of love for sure, but it is an M325i in my favourite colour.

Awesome, Good luck ! 

Rust would be my biggest concern with these cars now but I’m sure you’ve researched all the common fault areas. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Even worse, It’s actually a 35 year old car. Plus the gap in value will get wider over time, the joys of automotive depreciation.

Not sure, I think the pricing is pretty much spot on for the market right now. The owner probably wouldn’t have dropped the $13k into the car if the sale price at the end wasn’t going to be worth it. It’s not like they’ve put the $13k into a 318i Auto 4 Door and now want $25k for it.

That’s one side of the classic equation, supply being the other. Where it’s a mint E30 M325i or a Ponsonby villa, there are not enough to go around so prices rocket.

Sure but I’d still rather enjoy my one than daily an E30

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghost Chip said:

@Sammo Yessss mate! Saw that on FB and was going to tag you but a bunch of people already have! Hope it turns out to be worth it. 

I hope so, picking it up Thursday 🤘🏽

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Sammo said:

I hope so, picking it up Thursday 🤘🏽

You bought it?!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

You bought it?!

Yup!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Yup!!

Brilliant, exciting news.  Have to tell us all about it when you get time.  Looks like a great project and no mucking around, you went straight to MTech2

• Like 1

One of the silvers isn’t it? Too light for Delphin. Congratulations! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Delphingrau? Great colour

Lachssilber - Darker than normal silver but lighter than Delphin 

IMG-3522.jpg

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 12

15 hours ago, Sammo said:

Congrats mate!!! Can’t wait to see it on a meet!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sammo said:

Some of the silvers BMW does makes the cars look like they are made from liquid mercury. Congrats, lovely colour.

• Like 1

Lachs = Salmon.  Like Salmon, looks very different in changing light.  'liquid mercury' - exactly!  I'm not biased, quite possibly the best of the silvers/greys.  It goes with my hair, anyway! 😁

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Sammo said:

Two years ago I paid 4.5k for my manual 320i Cirrus coupe. Hard to believe.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 12:48 PM, qube said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3069463088.htm

apparently red e30 is the new thing..?

64915D2E-66A0-439D-93F9-BC5304C23216.png

9CA25A37-2F7C-4910-9878-FBF96CB86D7F.png

21502B66-DC44-4428-A598-D1E67BE96BCF.png

Remove BBS RS, replace with reps, add M42 - profit?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3385016000.htm

Now $43k after an engine swap and wheels flogged off.

• Haha 4

Comparing your random dyno numbers to factory figures, yep seems legit.

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3385016000.htm

He is advertising it as a 318is. That’s false advertising. No different to someone putting M3 badges on their car and advertising it as one. 

edit: got changed after I asked the question. 

Edited by Contrails
  • Like 3

Seats look the same but with leather covers or re-skinned?

Door cards/Headliner dyed?

It's a very pretty car and he's done an engine swap but that is quite a price hike...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sammo said:

From the listing it does look like there has been quite a bit more work to change the other bits over to the iS spec, but yeah, asking genuine money for a non- genuine car...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

From the listing it does look like there has been quite a bit more work to change the other bits over to the iS spec, but yeah, asking genuine money for a non- genuine car...

I feel like it had already been re-painted too (the original listing I mean) - good on him if he can get it sold, but a beautiful, original red 318is sold for half this, maybe a year ago or less? Had sport seats as well which I would hope to see on a replica.

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

I’m really curious if people that are into 318is would buy a replica at this price?

@Olaf I know that you’re trying to make a 318is replica, what do you reckon?

• Like 1

Considering the, arguably, best E30 318iS has been recently valued and insured for not a considerable amount more than this is listed for I think it will struggle to sell as a replica.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 3:36 PM, Ghost Chip said:

I’m really curious if people that are into 318is would buy a replica at this price?

@Olaf I know that you’re trying to make a 318is replica, what do you reckon?

Thanks for pinging me @Ghost Chip, I'd not seen this part of the thread.

It's been nicely engineered by P&S, they know their stuff.  Yes it was sold earlier this year - allegedly on bottle caps for less than the ask.  Was that April?  Suspension described at the time as Jamex and Bilstein.  It looks to me like a good tidy car.  And an excellent point of difference:  it's certed.  One detail I'm surprised about is use of a 3.46 LSD.  I think that's a bit too tall for an M42.  Factory is 4.10 or (optional 3.91) as far as I know; they made them short-ish for sporting acceleration, the target was the VW GTi 16v mkii which was lighter (I used to own one).  LSD was an option on the iS, though I'm unsure if all 25 NZ cars wore LSD as part of the spec from BMWNZ.

In the classic car world, a well-executed *replica* (of anything relatively rare - M5, 911 2.7RS, M535i etc) is typically worth around half (more or less) of the real thing, depending on factors like how tidy it is, how well maintained it is, what details are right... things that really set it apart from just another engine swap or modded car.  I'd expect a good tidy well-maintained iS to attract around $45-50k in today's market (NZ).  Will this car win that kind of money?  Crack the popcorn and watch.  I think at that ask he should have it on a very tidy set of 14" baskets, and include the BBS reps in the price.

Just a gentle point of order mate @Ghost Chip , I'm not *trying* to make a replica!  The project goal is to complete my car as a replica, and it will be so.  😉   It'll be an honest replica, never to be passed-off as the real thing, though.  First order of the day is it has to be fun to drive, clean, tidy, and reliable.

There will be a few details on my car that sway toward restomod such as purple tag rack; I'm leaving the e36 intake alone as DISA just makes sense, no need to be a hair-shirt anorak and source an e30 intake for completeness.   I have a plan for the interior, I have a number of key details that will go together before cert, and set it apart from other replicas.  I'm trying to make up my mind about when the iS badge goes onto the boot! 😁  I trust that doesn't sound too serious - the car has been a labour of love, though is all about driving enjoyment.

First of all though I need to get all this renovation work completed at home, get a bit more time back to myself.  I've barely driven my e30 since June, and sure am missing it.  Hopefully I'll get to drive it next week.

I guess I'd better put the red e30 onto my watch list.  Cheers!

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 11:07 AM, Sammo said:

I feel like it had already been re-painted too (the original listing I mean) - good on him if he can get it sold, but a beautiful, original red 318is sold for half this, maybe a year ago or less? Had sport seats as well which I would hope to see on a replica.

yes, though at that time people were baulking at paying beyond $30-35k for a tidy 325i Msport.  

Not all 318iS have sport seats (globally, not just NZ); some are optioned with comfort seats.  I've given up looking for sport seats.

• Like 1