E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

13 hours ago, gjm said:

Serious question: of all of the advertisements for E30s with asking of $20k, $25k, $30k and more, how many are selling (at all) and how many get close to the asking price?

Demand has dropped off, but there is also a glut of nice E30's for sale now, possibly seeing the market being so hot 6-12 months ago but being slow to move.

I believe that supply is compounding the situation.

While I got lucky with my Tech2 6 months ago, I could have only dreamed of the variety of desirable models on the market at that time - it just shifted to being a buyers market now and has been for at least 4-5 months.

There is also a lot of overpriced cars currently on the market, although I'm genuinely surprised the Silver Tech 2 / Dark Blue 2 door with ITBs and the stunning red sedan are still unsold.

The Cirrus Blue 2 door 325i was a low kms NZ New factory manual that has been on the market over 6 months - appears to have finally moved on - lovely car but possibly a little marmite spec (Blue on blue) to attract the masses. I was considering it in October.

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Sammo said:

Great looking car if you don’t look too closely but I feel $25k for a sedan which is unwarranted due to rust with additional rust problems may just be pushing it a tad far.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3602975339.htm

Yes,,,,,,,,,,the BUY NOW is set at $25k.   But look closer and the no reserve starting price is actually $15k.  So theoretically you could be the only bidder at $15k and the car would be yours.  That level seems a bit more attractive, yes?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, leonf said:

Yes,,,,,,,,,,the BUY NOW is set at $25k.   But look closer and the no reserve starting price is actually $15k.  So theoretically you could be the only bidder at $15k and the car would be yours.  That level seems a bit more attractive, yes?

True, didn't realise it was no reserve.

Just saw your sig - did you see that $150k RX2 for sale recently?

On 5/17/2022 at 7:27 AM, gjm said:

Kinda what I expected. Lots of interest, (surprisingly) no criticism of the car, but only contacts re price are the usual "what's your lowest cash price?" after which there is silence.

Ha ha.  Big shots in their own minds.  Only, they haven't made an offer.  

You've listed a price; it's up to them to make an offer.  These doofuses are not getting laid.  They've no technique for foreplay, and they don't have the chatup techniques.  They're rushing to close where there's no opening.  Yes I know what I did there.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:27 AM, gjm said:

Kinda what I expected. Lots of interest, (surprisingly) no criticism of the car, but only contacts re price are the usual "what's your lowest cash price?" after which there is silence.

Ha ha.  Big shots in their own minds.  Only, they haven't made an offer.  

You've listed a price; it's up to them to make an offer.  These doofuses are not getting laid.  They've no technique for foreplay, and they don't have the chatup techniques.  They're rushing to close where there's no opening.  Yes I know what I did there.

On 5/20/2022 at 2:24 PM, Sammo said:

True, didn't realise it was no reserve.

Just saw your sig - did you see that $150k RX2 for sale recently?

No,  there is a $120k red nz new rx2 coupe for TM sale in PalmNth at the moment but that is not mine.  Did see the $150k one and yes, it's special.

Our white one is a BaT import from Seattle that is being rhd coverted in Dunedin as we speak and I am hanging out for its completion.

rx2 coupe.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leonf said:

No,  there is a $120k red nz new rx2 coupe for TM sale in PalmNth at the moment but that is not mine.  Did see the $150k one and yes, it's special.

Our white one is a BaT import from Seattle that is being rhd coverted in Dunedin as we speak and I am hanging out for its completion.

rx2 coupe.jpg

Beautiful!! 

• Like 1

@Sammo the RHD E30 M3 rabbit hole is deep! I think I'd rather have a tasteful 325i and a big pile of cash. originality probably the key for the M3 as you point out, I think the issue was the RHD steering rack fouled on the headers so any converted one has a slower rack 

Edited by balancerider
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, balancerider said:

@Sammo the RHD E30 M3 rabbit hole is deep! I think I'd rather have a tasteful 325i and a big pile of cash. originality probably the key for the M3 as you point out, I think the issue was the RHD steering rack fouled on the headers so any converted one has a slower rack 

Or a tasteful(?) 325i making the pile of cash smaller by the day 😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sammo said:

RHD M3?

Wouldn’t a lightly modified RHD converted e30 M3 be worth less than an original though?

I do LOVE how this thing looks though.

Unless it’s a race car with history, originality is key to the value of an E30 M3, and the RHD conversion is a big minus in terms of collectibility.

The lack of originality with the conversion is compounded by the technical issues that balancerider mentioned above, with steering and engine performance plus weight balance all affected.

As this was a USA spec car (no dogleg box another minus) the bumpers have been nodded or swapped plus lots of other changes.

This guy has already pulled his ad from E30 Classifieds NZ because everyone was telling him he’s dreaming at $125k!

• Like 2

Just saw that, looks fantastic! I wonder what the reserve is.

Not an M325i but same same really.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Just saw that, looks fantastic! I wonder what the reserve is.

Not an M325i but same same really.

Wikipedia agrees with you...given the propensity of E30's to rust I'd want to go over it with a fine tooth comb (first 5 yrs spent in UK). Alpina rims just look so good though.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 9.08.55 AM.png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Wikipedia agrees with you...given the propensity of E30's to rust I'd want to go over it with a fine tooth comb (first 5 yrs spent in UK). Alpina rims just look so good though.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 9.08.55 AM.png

Yeah, its looks great, but given my own recent experiences with hidden rust I doubt there are any rust free ones (that have not been disassembled and dealt with) kicking around.

Off to treat / bandaid rust on my seemingly lovely E30 😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vass said:

If that was dolphin grey I would be all over it. I might even be tempted if the reserve is not too silly.

Couple of funny things going on with it would need looking into, Tech 1 s/wheel on Tech 2 car and headlight wash system half removed - possibly something to do with the funky screen wash system in the top of the bonnet.?

• Like 2

A few years ago I bought this E30 318 from a young chap in Pakuranga with new wof for $5.5k and 5 months later sold it for about $800 after my wof guy nearly died at the covered-up rust all along both sill seams. At $15k now, I wonder has all the rust been repaired?

I was ripped off to the point of criminal at the time, hopefully the price now reflects a thorough repair of an attractive car.

ED6A3AE5-E4C6-4607-B8BB-6C42F92EEDB6.jpeg

• Like 2

^^^ I'm not convinced: The panel / paint / remaining rust / masking job around that build plate looks dodgy as!

I'd wonder what was done to the rest!

image.thumb.png.2ff6a7c2a3fb6ec043628575bec03e51.png

12 hours ago, nath said:

A few years ago I bought this E30 318 from a young chap in Pakuranga with new wof for $5.5k and 5 months later sold it for about $800 after my wof guy nearly died at the covered-up rust all along both sill seams. At $15k now, I wonder has all the rust been repaired?

I was ripped off to the point of criminal at the time, hopefully the price now reflects a thorough repair of an attractive car.

ED6A3AE5-E4C6-4607-B8BB-6C42F92EEDB6.jpeg

Rust and/or jacking damage has been a bone of contention with many E30 WoF inspections I would imagine.

I know I have had discussions with various inspectors over both my ‘vert and race car as to whether what they were looking at was structural or not.

In the end I found a sensible inspector and used them whenever needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allanw said:

^^^ I'm not convinced: The panel / paint / remaining rust / masking job around that build plate looks dodgy as!

I'd wonder what was done to the rest!

That will be from the chap I bought it from, the real issue was the seams under the sills... bursting with painted-over rust.

Notwithstanding the car drove better for it's spec than any Of the 11 or so E30s I had owned previously, all of which were very good cars. The suspension felt like new.

• Like 2

Bit of the old 'No known rust'

Or rust free... except for xxx

Never know what's hiding in these old girls.

Just seen a PFL rolling shell, dead rego, advertised for $4k.

And a pair of used Koni springs for an E30 listed at $200.

E30 tax is alive and well!

• Like 1

If the prices on TradeMe for E30 parts are where the market is then I’m sitting on a gold mine and should retire tomorrow.

Should you want your eyes to really water, go on one of the E30 M3 sites, E30 tax x M3 tax is moonbeams! “Genuine E30 M3 door handle surround US$50” etc, when it’s the same as any E30. And then there’s the S14Bxx parts.. 💰 

• Like 2