E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

If the prices on TradeMe for E30 parts are where the market is then I’m sitting on a gold mine and should retire tomorrow.

Should you want your eyes to really water, go on one of the E30 M3 sites, E30 tax x M3 tax is moonbeams! “Genuine E30 M3 door handle surround US$50” etc, when it’s the same as any E30. And then there’s the S14Bxx parts.. 💰 

While you're not wrong, I think its becoming a BMW thing?

I'm on the gold dust trail for manual conversion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

If the prices on TradeMe for E30 parts are where the market is then I’m sitting on a gold mine and should retire tomorrow.

Should you want your eyes to really water, go on one of the E30 M3 sites, E30 tax x M3 tax is moonbeams! “Genuine E30 M3 door handle surround US$50” etc, when it’s the same as any E30. And then there’s the S14Bxx parts.. 💰 

I sold a garage full of E30 parts for $500 just over 3 years ago. And two coupes at about $1500 the pair...
At the time there was no choice. We were moving and it all had to go. 😢

• Sad 2

Liquid assets!

The good stuff will sell within hours at the below prices 

Set of weaves in decent nick $2000-2500

Mtech 1 385mm $500 (no, not $2,400 like the one on TM)

MTech 2 370mm $1000-$1200

Good sport seats UNOBTANIUM 

On 7/2/2022 at 8:22 AM, Vass said:

The bids are starting to come in on this one now, she’s up to $31k still not reserve met, be interesting to see where this ends up bid wise and where the reserve is set. 🍿 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:06 AM, Blackie said:

While you're not wrong, I think its becoming a BMW thing?

I'm on the gold dust trail for manual conversion. 

no, it's an 80's/90's car thing.  Check out Toyota Supras, Mitsubishi Starions, RX7s and see how many moonbeams you need for that kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

no, it's an 80's/90's car thing.  Check out Toyota Supras, Mitsubishi Starions, RX7s and see how many moonbeams you need for that kit.

Also true of old(er) Land Rovers - Series and Defender prices are way, way up. Diesel-engined Discoverys command a 100-300% price premium with asking of 5-figures (up from $2-6k 18 months ago), and Classic Range Rovers have gone from little more than scrap value to $6-10k+ for a <ahem> "project". Any of these are only $20-30k and 100s of hours hard work away from being a nice $20k vehicle.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 10:46 PM, nath said:

A few years ago I bought this E30 318 from a young chap in Pakuranga with new wof for $5.5k and 5 months later sold it for about $800 after my wof guy nearly died at the covered-up rust all along both sill seams. At $15k now, I wonder has all the rust been repaired?

I was ripped off to the point of criminal at the time, hopefully the price now reflects a thorough repair of an attractive car.

ED6A3AE5-E4C6-4607-B8BB-6C42F92EEDB6.jpeg

One to steer clear of I reckon.  Just doesn't look right, panels not lining up well, adequate but not great paint.  Either it's had a huge hit or scrape all down the passenger side, or they've simply forgotten to reverse it out of the driveway and photograph it.    Another one for "how not to sell your car". 

13 minutes ago, gjm said:

Also true of old(er) Land Rovers...

So true!

I'd love an early-ish Defender... but one bad enough that would cost "only" $15K, is about the same condition as my '97 Disco 1 V8... which cost $1600... Well... "was purchased" for $1600... 🤣

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sammo said:

Liquid assets!

The good stuff will sell within hours at the below prices 

Set of weaves in decent nick $2000-2500

Mtech 1 385mm $500 (no, not $2,400 like the one on TM)

MTech 2 370mm $1000-$1200

Good sport seats UNOBTANIUM 

Not to thread jack here but are weaves going for this price? I saw some on TM 5 or 6 months ago (14s) and they had something like a 1K price range. I was thinking, good luck with that (recalling that people were struggling to sell them for $400 bucks 5 or so years ago). But seeing your quote here, maybe I should see what the market says for a 5 x 15s....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BLACK DORIS said:

Not to thread jack here but are weaves going for this price? I saw some on TM 5 or 6 months ago (14s) and they had something like a 1K price range. I was thinking, good luck with that (recalling that people were struggling to sell them for $400 bucks 5 or so years ago). But seeing your quote here, maybe I should see what the market says for a 5 x 15s....

think we're through the FOMO stage of E30 price rises, meaning that while some prices remain high, only those items which are genuinely excellent will realise $BIG. This means that sale prices of items (as opposed to listing prices) will start to vary more.

Really good stuff has always, and will always, realise high prices, but we may be entering more of a buyer's market instead of the seller's free-for-all that we have seen.

YMMV, opinions differ, etc. :) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BLACK DORIS said:

15x7 ET24 4x100 - the ones everyone wants - on Facebook to avoid Trade Me fees.

Sold my set of 5 recently inside a few hours for $2,250 plus a bottlecap spare with new tyre on it (my weave with the spare had a 20 year old tyre that didn't hold air)

They were in pretty good condition - I would have refurbed if I were to keep them though.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, gjm said:

think we're through the FOMO stage of E30 price rises, meaning that while some prices remain high, only those items which are genuinely excellent will realise $BIG. This means that sale prices of items (as opposed to listing prices) will start to vary more.

Really good stuff has always, and will always, realise high prices, but we may be entering more of a buyer's market instead of the seller's free-for-all that we have seen.

YMMV, opinions differ, etc. :) 

Given a red coupe with no wof or rego, rust, blown M10, auto, went for $8500 in the last couple of weeks, I think you're wrong.  Basically a tidy rolling coupe is now worth $8-10k.  A tidy four cylinder coupe is asking around $15-25k.  You've been claiming the e30 market is over-valued for years; can't understand why yours is not offered at a price that supports your argument!?

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Given a red coupe with no wof or rego, rust, blown M10, auto, went for $8500 in the last couple of weeks, I think you're wrong.  Basically a tidy rolling coupe is now worth $8-10k.  A tidy four cylinder coupe is asking around $15-25k.  You've been claiming the e30 market is over-valued for years; can't understand why yours is not offered at a price that supports your argument!?

Asking 15-20 - yes. Not sure they are still getting that though looking at the number of examples sitting on trademe. Not to mention people asking 20-40 for their 4-door models...

if you can build an immaculate 4 dr 325i for under $30k, do it!

• Like 1

I think some of the prices are blown out of proportion. Not sure some of these things sell what they are listed for

• Thanks 1

That's sort of the point - I feel the 4 door is not nearly as desirable, so while the build cost may be 30k getting that back may not be viable.

• Like 1

It is horses for courses and originality, spec, colour, etc all influence things and what someone is willing to pay.

A mint and original 4 door can and ? should command more than a rough 2 door that’s a few enhancements, modifications and paint jobs on from its original days.  Equally some modifications and enhancements make a particular car worth more.

What we do know is mint MTech coupes go for big dollars sigh

Edited by E28E30

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

I'd not seen or heard about the red coupe. That truly is - in my opinion! ;) - way over-priced. Surely there must be something else about it for it to command that sort of money. Rusty, needs an engine - rego on hold?

When listing our car, I tried hard to ensure it was priced a little below the market as we did - do - want to sell, and not just test the market. It's not simply a 'want to sell' - it's a 'can't use it so have to sell'. And given it hasn't sold, at a price below what the current market seems to suggest is an appropriate price, I have to question how many cars are actually selling for even close to asking.

Might just be our car, of course. Or location. Which would be very sad for us. :(

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

There is a tremendous difference with all this hyperbole around "asking" price,  "market" price, and nett received price. 

From memory the last 325MTech 2 to sell for strong money was the white coupe that hung around Auckland for ages ohh 18 months or two years ago, went down into the South Island, then came back up to Auckland, sold for the buy now $35k. And there was a lovely red Mtech2 in the Wellington region, low kms, owners and largely original sold for quite strong money, may have been just over 50k,  think this car started all the chatter, and there was a cosmos black or delphin gray car too.

Subsequent cars marketed on TradeMe are / have all fallen short of the sellers expectations, a classic example is the largely original 2 or three owner MTech 1 in silver that has sat at Arrow Toys for nearly a year, and slid in asking from $69990 down to $48950, still unsold.

Of course there may be cars changing hands off market, we rarely hear about these.

In the writers opinion the E30 is just not in 2022 worth anywhere the money that some of the posters above believe is "fair" market value.

Within the BMW brand there are three or four models that, by comparison to the E30, give far more "bang" for your motoring buck. 

When  I was growing up way down south,  a well worn family saying, always directed to me because of my proliferate ways, (especially concerning fast cars) " A fool and his money are soon parted"

And when I gaze at a E30 325i on the market at more than $20k, this always springs to mind 😉

Discuss.....       

• Like 1

@Bandit that red MT2 went for $62k, after that a couple of charcoal ones with over 200kms went in the early to mid 40s.

I think there’s submarkets… MTechs are in their own.  That silver MT1 sitting at reduced price down from $70k is a dealer flip I think, he paid around $45k for it in ChCh if IIRC, did nothing to it (including rust on bumper, patched seat trim repairs etc) and took it to Auckland.  So far noone has fulfilled his expectations 

Edited by E28E30
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bandit said:

There is a tremendous difference with all this hyperbole around "asking" price,  "market" price, and nett received price. 

From memory the last 325MTech 2 to sell for strong money was the white coupe that hung around Auckland for ages ohh 18 months or two years ago, went down into the South Island, then came back up to Auckland, sold for the buy now $35k. And there was a lovely red Mtech2 in the Wellington region, low kms, owners and largely original sold for quite strong money, may have been just over 50k,  think this car started all the chatter, and there was a cosmos black or delphin gray car too.

Subsequent cars marketed on TradeMe are / have all fallen short of the sellers expectations, a classic example is the largely original 2 or three owner MTech 1 in silver that has sat at Arrow Toys for nearly a year, and slid in asking from $69990 down to $48950, still unsold.

Of course there may be cars changing hands off market, we rarely hear about these.

In the writers opinion the E30 is just not in 2022 worth anywhere the money that some of the posters above believe is "fair" market value.

Within the BMW brand there are three or four models that, by comparison to the E30, give far more "bang" for your motoring buck. 

When  I was growing up way down south,  a well worn family saying, always directed to me because of my proliferate ways, (especially concerning fast cars) " A fool and his money are soon parted"

And when I gaze at a E30 325i on the market at more than $20k, this always springs to mind 😉

Discuss.....       

It’s the buyers that set the value at the end of the day.

M325i sales I’ve seen in the last two years:

Lachssilber Tech 2 $40k (auction) very nice, would go for significantly more now.

Red Tech 2 $64k (auction) stunning car

Black Tech 2 $50k (low 50s I think) (auction) very nice, not perfect

My Lachssilber one $34k (high kms)

Silver Tech 1 that a dealer is trying to flick $42k (auction)

Bang for buck isn’t a consideration buying a slow 35 year old project car.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sammo said:

It’s the buyers that set the value at the end of the day.

M325i sales I’ve seen in the last two years:

Lachssilber Tech 2 $40k (auction) very nice, would go for significantly more now.

Red Tech 2 $64k (auction) stunning car

Black Tech 2 $50k (low 50s I think) (auction) very nice, not perfect

My Lachssilber one $34k (high kms)

Silver Tech 1 that a dealer is trying to flick $42k (auction)

Given the amount of your "hard earned" invested in your project Sammo, you have to say what you have posted. 👍

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bandit said:

Given the amount of your "hard earned" invested in your project Sammo, you have to say what you have posted. 👍

I’m in too deep haha

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

It was for many when most were sub 10k cars. I only bought one because everyone was talking about them or had one, $5k '89 325i manual, why not. They were the E36\E46 of today. Aside from the speculators i reckon most buying now are mainly those missed out or sold and want to fomo back in. I still like them and drove my harder than most owners these days could of ever dream of, but id never buy another one in todays market (common view among ex E30 owners ive talked to)