E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

Just because many other classic cars have been reshelled in the past doesn't make it good or legal. It's illegal, and shouldn't be on the road. 

There is nothing to say the 318i shell isn't from a stolen car (no history of where that shell came from, just that it was a 318i), and if anyone in authority (wof inspector, certifier, police etc) can prove the tags don't match the shell, it's 100% game over, you would probably have to reshell it again, properly. 

It's no different to my M328i, which was a full M3 conversion into a 328i shell. I couldn't just plate and tag it (like this e30), it had to remain registered as a 328i and be certified for the modifications. 

• Like 5

Yup its very simple.  It is illegal.

Sinister purposes or just trying to save a car.  You are not allowed to swap a Vin number.
That vehicle should be registered as a 318i.

• Like 4

There have been a couple of wreckers in NZ do time as a result of supplying the vin plates to do this. 

If its true they cut and welded the vin number under the windscreen then I have to commend them on their efforts. Looks very well done, always thought that would be a sh*t of a job to make look good. A snake camera in behind the panel would confirm. 

15 hours ago, KwS said:

Just because many other classic cars have been reshelled in the past doesn't make it good or legal. It's illegal, and shouldn't be on the road. 

There is nothing to say the 318i shell isn't from a stolen car (no history of where that shell came from, just that it was a 318i), and if anyone in authority (wof inspector, certifier, police etc) can prove the tags don't match the shell, it's 100% game over, you would probably have to reshell it again, properly. 

It's no different to my M328i, which was a full M3 conversion into a 328i shell. I couldn't just plate and tag it (like this e30), it had to remain registered as a 328i and be certified for the modifications. 

there are processes and procedures in place to  do a vin swap when doing a shell replacement. 

in this situation, it has not been followed and could very easily cause issues further down the line if it was ever discovered at time of a warrant or whatever. 

key giveaway is the  lack of sunroof in this situation 

^^
A red PFL 2 door is a great look but good luck cracking $20k.

Another nice looking overpriced PFL - ‘M-Tech’ though? Was there a 323i sport model with the dogleg prior to the Tech 1?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3725565772.htm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

^^
A red PFL 2 door is a great look but good luck cracking $20k.

Another nice looking overpriced PFL - ‘M-Tech’ though? Was there a 323i sport model with the dogleg prior to the Tech 1?

Yeah, if someone could enlighten me on why this one is so much, I get the dog leg box is pretty rare, and it's tidy, but didn't think it would be that desirable. 

3 hours ago, Sammo said:

Yes NZ specced up the 'sport' 323i with dogleg and lsd and perhaps suspension and wheels before the m325i came. Ugly kit- without a google reminder I guess it's a Pfeba?

• Thanks 1

So should see it on trademe for 30K soon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That’s strong money for a 316i, yes it’s in great Nick but went for well over the $10-12k estimate. Signs the E30 market is still strong.

I thought it was good value as a mint little daily at $10-11k. Bang some weaves on (even 14”), I have mtech 1 spoilers and steering wheel in the garage, add a Bluetooth solution and it would have been cool.

4 hours ago, MD13 said:

So should see it on trademe for 30K soon!

Probably $35k because is rare.

1 hour ago, Palazzo said:

Probably $35k because is rare.

*rear

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ok then, “good thread on tyres”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

And Manuel!

Ahh, si, Manuel from Espana. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yup, I think so. Must have been reported as fishy as.

E30 M3 tax is still strong...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/engines/listing/3741470813

image.png

That's more than I paid for my whole S14 engine, dog-leg gearbox and ancilliaries!

Having seen complete engines up for sale at US$25k I am sorely tempted... but then I will never be in a position to afford to get another one. 

Soo many other engines that give much better bang for buck... but S14 tho'

• Like 2

Looking at all the posts and prices of parts and vehicles now, it seems no different to the Jap import market and the high prices people are paying for skyline, evo's etc

The market will crash at some stage imo cause in my wildest dreams would i have ever thought to spend 15k on a e30 or $1500 for a older model engine. I should of held onto all those $4-500 bmw's i had as a young man that i just thrashed and moved on.

Also doesn't help all the smart people realise the time for petrol cars is coming to an end and we may actually be forced to not drive them in another 20 years or so

• Confused 1