E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

43 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Certain upholstery is harder to get and therefore more expensive - a decent set of sports seats in houndstooth (which is what I think the door cards are) would be a few bucks. Most of the stuff would be common across all the E30 so plenty around.

Thanks Jon!

2 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Thanks Jon!

Is it hard to come by sports seats generally, even for a recover job? Would be interested in a pair 

24 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

Is it hard to come by sports seats generally, even for a recover job? Would be interested in a pair 

I saw a set of sports seats for sale on the south island - needed some work. $1200 IIRC.

5 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Was thinking the same :) interior hard to come by?

Jeez leave some E30's for the rest of us 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Depending on what the reserve is it’s almost worth buying to convert back to a road car, given it is a genuine NZ New Tech 1.

Would be a bit of work cutting out the cage and re-fitting the interior, but potentially worthwhile.

Counterpoint, do what Milan did with the last caged m325i for sale...

1353953.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, leichtbau said:

Jeez leave some E30's for the rest of us 😂

Haha! I can’t afford another one Harm, more curious about the seats for mine one day.  Comfort seats are a bit high but doable for now 😎

On 5/13/2021 at 5:54 AM, Bandit said:

But of course you would say that. Pedantic till the last

🙄

If you want to correct someone, you might want to start from a place of, you know, correctness?  There's no need to hand out labels or call me names.  Just place me on your ignore list.

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, leichtbau said:

@Ghost Chip @Olaf the motor in question is now a 2.8 is it not? The first question that should be asked is what management its running.

Good point Harm.  I've only read about the stroker M20s, would love to experience one or two.  The joys of buying a non-factory setup.  What would you be looking for - in a stroker motor - to have confidence it was well-executed?  Can one expect a stroker setup to idle/purr like a kitten or are they lumpy by nature (I honestly don't know)?

@leichtbau I asked and he explained it more in detail why it’s all good but essentially it’s running the factory ECU from the 2.5L.

Edited by Ghost Chip
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Olaf said:

🙄

If you want to correct someone, you might want to start from a place of, you know, correctness?  There's no need to hand out labels or call me names.  Just place me on your ignore list.

Hmm I'll give your suggestion some thought, it has merit. But, what would I have to chuckle over while having breakfast? The daily post count would be significantly reduced.

Just curious is there a prize at the end of each year for the user who has the most posts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

E30s selling at $15k+ are now double the price of a slightly newer, similar condition, Mercedes SL320.

One of these cars was $270000, new.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ghost Chip said:

@leichtbau I asked and he explained it more in detail why it’s all good but essentially it’s running the factory ECU from the 2.5L.

Yep for the most part stroker M20's run just fine on the stock motronic, they just don't make the power they should. You really need a custom map to get the most benefit from each individual application.

6 hours ago, Olaf said:

Good point Harm.  I've only read about the stroker M20s, would love to experience one or two.  The joys of buying a non-factory setup.  What would you be looking for - in a stroker motor - to have confidence it was well-executed?  Can one expect a stroker setup to idle/purr like a kitten or are they lumpy by nature (I honestly don't know)?

Stroking doesn't really affect idle in any meaningful way. M20's don't get lumpy at idle until at least a 280+ degree cam setup, speaking from experience with my Alpina 272 degree cam and a friends Hartge 280 degree cam in his 2.6. I've attached a decade old potato quality video of my Alpina 2.7 at idle - it's rock solid.

You can't really "know" that a stroker has been well executed unless you've first hand knowledge of the build / or can be provided evidence of what was used, there's simply too many ways to skin the cat when stroking an M20. 2.7 is obviously the simplest with either the crank from the eta or the forged crank from the M21 diesel. 2.8 and above uses an M5x series crank but then you've got to have a spacer machined up for the nose (simple enough) but anything larger than 2.8 you're going to have to clearance the gallery for the crank counter weights to spin freely inside the block.

The other route to 2.8+ litres is boring the block, but there isn't a heap of meat between the cylinders to start with, as a 2.5 M20 is oversquare to start with with a ratio of 1.12. Some of the larger cranks really throw this ratio out the window, and there's a tonne of people over the years who have been disappointed with their 3.0L M20's.

Not nearly enough attention is paid to head flow, as there's no point in going larger displacement if you're not going to address the main M20 weak point which is the combustion chamber shape and how little the ports (particularly the exhaust) in the head flow. For example, at 10" of test pressure the Alpina head flows some 10cfm more than stock at 0.40" valve lift, and almost 20cfm at 0.60"

Anyway, could go on for hours, might post some ramblings in the performance section.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gjm said:

E30s selling at $15k+ are now double the price of a slightly newer, similar condition, Mercedes SL320.

Missed out on a facelift SL500 many years ago for just over 11k. Last one i saw wanted 40k but very tidy. 

No desire to own another E30 seems to be common with those ive talked to that owned and sold before the market went crazy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Surprised R129's have not really taken off yet, such a beautiful design with the hardtop (which most came with?) and as quintessentially 80s as a quad headlight BMW.

Less of a drivers car I guess - are they reliable? surely these where in the glory days for MB?

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 7:25 PM, Olaf said:

showing a lack of maintenance.  showing it's age is a result of following the standard kiwi maintenance plan (do f*ck-all, then pass it off as 'old').

Personally, I would highly doubt this given he is an aircraft engineer... IMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

No desire to own another E30 seems to be common with those ive talked to that owned and sold before the market went crazy.

That's because the rose-tinted glasses are off. They've been there, done that, and won't pay the premium prices for something which is likely to cost more once bought. E30s are very poopular, as prices show, but most seem to be being bought by first-timers.

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

Surprised R129's have not really taken off yet, such a beautiful design with the hardtop (which most came with?) and as quintessentially 80s as a quad headlight BMW.

Less of a drivers car I guess - are they reliable? surely these where in the glory days for MB?

Generally very reliable. Not necessarily the 'glory days' - that was perhaps 10 years earlier - but they're good cars. The R129 was made for over 10 years so there's lots of choice.
Most of the engines are pretty bullet-proof provided they're maintained correctly. The M104.991 in the SL320 does suffer from a biodegradable wiring harness in the engine bay, but sort that and they'll run for a million miles.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 2:32 PM, Olaf said:

can't answer without seeing the car in question, and should be noted I'm a moderately knowlegable enthusiast rather than a professional mechanic.  I don't mean to sound down on a car you've viewed, I don't even know which one you're referring to.  

Basic regular maintenance on e30 includes oil, oil filter, air filter; brake fluid and coolant every two years; and general mechanical inspection and replacement of parts ahead of every WoF (brakes, suspension, steering) and that good old lubrication of hinges, inspection and replacement of belts, plugs etc at the correct intervals.  Many cars don't even get this much care.  Your run-of-the-mill Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Hyundai etc can withstand more abuse with less maintenance.  An e30 - now in classic status - needs more care.  Hope that helps.

20 hours ago, roxt001 said:

Personally, I would highly doubt this given he is an aircraft engineer... IMO

See above.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:26 AM, gjm said:

The original MINI Cooper was once an inexpenive car.  I doubt you could find a decent one for less than today's price of a used SL320 either.  

Does this say something about Mercedes buyers, or does it speak more to classic car market?  What does one pay these days for a 'pagoda' SL?  In the late 80's they were insanely expensive, the 'one' to have.

Demand is again arm wrestling with supply.  Not everyone will chance their arm in the game.

Just wondering - did they even sell SL320s here?  Usually SL buyers in NZ went straight to the SL500.  Even merited a mention in a classic NZ advert.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Olaf said:

The original MINI Cooper was once an inexpenive car.  I doubt you could find a decent one for less than today's price of a used SL320 either.  

Does this say something about Mercedes buyers, or does it speak more to classic car market?  What does one pay these days for a 'pagoda' SL?  In the late 80's they were insanely expensive, the 'one' to have.

Demand is again arm wrestling with supply.  Not everyone will chance their arm in the game.

Just wondering - did they even sell SL320s here?  Usually SL buyers in NZ went straight to the SL500.  Even merited a mention in a classic NZ advert. 

I was finding cars of similar age! The huge disparity in 'new' purchase price is remarkable given the (now) difference in s/h asking.

Pagoda? ❤️ Lovely car to look at, terrible things to try to drive with any sort of enthusiasm. Hasn't stopped them becoming expensive beyond 'normal' pockets - there's one on TradeMe now for $380000. Sounds high... But so do asking prices for E30s. To me, at least. based on playing with them for 30-odd years.

The R129 is one which will likely appreciate soon. The R107 which it replaced has already become expensive in some cases, but (like E30s) prices are all over the place. The Mercedes will probably take longer to appreciate in value as they are not regarded by many people as an economic car to own - the E30 is very much a people's car, and one which is fun, fairly simple, reasonably easy to maintain, and in (relatively) plentiful supply. The Mercedes had lower production numbers (although often longer production runs), cost a lot more when new, and has a reputation for being expensive to live with.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 12:36 PM, gjm said:

I was finding cars of similar age! The huge disparity in 'new' purchase price is remarkable given the (now) difference in s/h asking.

Pagoda? ❤️ Lovely car to look at, terrible things to try to drive with any sort of enthusiasm. Hasn't stopped them becoming expensive beyond 'normal' pockets - there's one on TradeMe now for $380000. Sounds high... But so do asking prices for E30s. To me, at least. based on playing with them for 30-odd years.

The R129 is one which will likely appreciate soon. The R107 which it replaced has already become expensive in some cases, but (like E30s) prices are all over the place. The Mercedes will probably take longer to appreciate in value as they are not regarded by many people as an economic car to own - the E30 is very much a people's car, and one which is fun, fairly simple, reasonably easy to maintain, and in (relatively) plentiful supply. The Mercedes had lower production numbers (although often longer production runs), cost a lot more when new, and has a reputation for being expensive to live with.

I do like the R129.  If you've not already seen it, Harry's Garage review of his R129 SL600 is epic.  I'd love one, and considered an SL500 as daily on a one year contract with an 60km commute.  I was saved by taking a different gig.

Odd, isn't it.  The W124 should be the nostalgic car of choice.  Look at the value comparison now between your average e30 six, and an E280 or E320.  No it's not apples-with-apples, we'd need an e34 for that.  But now for $10-15k you'll get a lot more car in a W124 than an e30 eh? Not as chuckable, but awesomely engineered and a great drive.  Hmmm.  Few aspire to driving Grandad's car... which brings us to image. 🙂  That's undoubtedly a significant contributing factor to the e30 mistique and helping to boost the prices.  And without a famous movie star dying (notably) in one.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ghost Chip said:

That tech one got pulled, wonder if it sold via offer?

it had a bid on it of $30k.  So yes, I'd expect so.

• Like 1