E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

On 11/8/2021 at 4:31 PM, E28E30 said:

Yeah each to their own, there are at least two kinds of E30 lovers.  I am a boring “factory” look type.

'Boring Factory Look' is definitely in vogue now - that why 15" Basketweaves are $2,500 now.

I like the 'Coulda shoulda come from Factory Like this' look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, the “boring factory look” is not that boring. May be on the same boat as you Sam, I want to go for the understated modified look. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

'Boring Factory Look' is definitely in vogue now - that why 15" Basketweaves are $2,500 now.

I like the 'Coulda shoulda come from Factory Like this' look.

This!

• Like 1

Wow. I can’t tell if the “Thanks E30 community” meant that he’s doing a solid by selling all these or if it’s a thanks for the coin 😅

1CE45BEE-91FE-4B2A-8602-34DDC7B9C2E9.png

• Like 1

Pretty reasonable pricing I feel. Looking at £2000 for some Alpinas and at $600+ for an unfurbished steering wheel, $850 for one ready to go, it's probably worth it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Refurbed 370mm Tech 2 for $850 is decent.

I would be tempted to look at those Alpinas if I had a car to put them on - great looking wheel, the replicas would cost around $2700 to land here so another grand or so for the real thing isn’t bad.

wonder what other goodies he has tucked away 🤔

• Thanks 1

Who is this seller??, I need to meet him and find out what other goodies he has, very tempted by some of those wheels..

1 minute ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Who is this seller??, I need to meet him and find out what other goodies he has, very tempted by some of those wheels..

Edward swan 

he is a kiwi who is living overseas (Indonesia at the moment I think) who shops bits back to sell 

Edited by Arron
  • Thanks 2

Oh yeah, I never meant that the pricing was bad, it’s pretty much bang on (not a bargain but not crazy as well).

Although, now that I read it back, I can see how it sounds that way.

He has a stack of other wheels to sell so watch that space.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, Sammo said:

Someone manning up with a lovely looking car with a $1 reserve!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3323766879?bof=kbiaeXTz

I don't believe the B20 or auto will really hurt the value of a vert, so going to take an uneducated guess at $23K.

Its in great 'cashed up boomer' spec IMO 🤣

1634297720.jpg

1634298007.jpg

$23,600 - while my estimate looked shaky early on, I'll take it - 97.4% accuracy is within the margin of error :)

• Like 2

Question - In this current market, what would you say the below car would be worth?

Very tidy, rust free 1987 PFL NZ New Factory Manual 325i 2 door (aka coupe) with under 150kms?

Totally original but somewhat lower spec? (comfort cloth seats, no AC etc - does have sunroof / ABS / electric windows).

2 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Question - In this current market, what would you say the below car would be worth?

Very tidy, rust free 1987 PFL NZ New Factory Manual 325i 2 door (aka coupe) with under 150kms?

Totally original but somewhat lower spec? (comfort cloth seats, no AC etc - does have sunroof / ABS / electric windows).

At face value, I'd much prefer that to the cabbie posted above, but you may have read my comments on that listing. ;) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sammo said:

What you thinking @Sammo?  Sounds really compelling esp. PFL and manual.  Am I on drugs thinking $25-30?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

What you thinking @Sammo?  Sounds really compelling esp. PFL and manual.  Am I on drugs thinking $25-30?

Upper end of that range I would think, can't be many about.

Thinking of buying?  If you’re not I might…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E28E30 said:

On drugs because too low, or too high?

Personally I would say it would be above that range, unless it’s an undesirable colour or interior.

More details on spec / history and photos would be good.

58 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Personally I would say it would be above that range, unless it’s an undesirable colour or interior.

@E30 325i Rag-Top initially was thinking was aiming high but you’re right, could be over $30k.   Very keen to see some photos of this beastie.

I think most NZ new PFL 325is were in tasteful colours :)

Edited by E28E30

9 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

It’s Cirrusblau (lovely colour) but has Pacific Houndstooth 0212 comfort interior (which is what’s holding me back TBH).

C34B1256-B1E8-4AD0-B317-A20552141C02.jpeg

ABEA2C69-16D8-4B4F-9F21-663E74332D50.jpeg

• Like 2

Aye that interior is pretty average. At least looks tidy enough. Overall the car looks pretty identical to M539's recent project so you'd at least have a great tutorial to follow.

• Like 2

@Sammo it looks tidy and agree a great body colour.  I like the interior as reflects the era but can see it isn’t universal.  My first BMW was an E28 with blue interior, nostalgia.  If you are thinking long, long term it could be worth investing in an interior refit down the line or if you found sports seats a retrim (navy leather?).  Big bucks

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

@Sammo it looks tidy and agree a great body colour.  I like the interior as reflects the era but can see it isn’t universal.  My first BMW was an E28 with blue interior, nostalgia.  If you are thinking long, long term it could be worth investing in an interior refit down the line or if you found sports seats a retrim (navy leather?).  Big bucks

Yeah, would be my thinking, although $$$ anyway you do it (sport sets sourced and  retrimmed).

Just not sure It makes sense to pay top dollar for an original low kms car to modify it (albeit tastefully)...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Yeah, would be my thinking, although $$$ anyway you do it (sport sets sourced and  retrimmed).

Just not sure It makes sense to pay top dollar for an original low kms car to modify it (albeit tastefully)...

I got to the same place with my SE.  Got enthusiastic, paid top dollar, want it to be manual and subtle suspension tweaks ie turn it into @adro’s spec, but it’s not worth it.  Another $10k could be spent and I would still have a mint SE with comfort interior, and doesn’t seem worth it.  So am looking at factory manuals now and see how I feel then about selling the red machine next year

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

I would say 28k bro. it's pretty tidy. also being pfl I'm biased hahaha 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E28E30 said:

I got to the same place with my SE.  Got enthusiastic, paid top dollar, want it to be manual and subtle suspension tweaks ie turn it into @adro’s spec, but it’s not worth it.  Another $10k could be spent and I would still have a mint SE with comfort interior, and doesn’t seem worth it.  So am looking at factory manuals now and see how I feel then about selling the red machine next year

I spent about the same as my purchase price doing my mods and it seemed a bit stupid at the time, the whole time i was thinking why am I doing this to a 4 door as i'm never going to get this money back, but it was a fun project and end result made it totally worth it.

I think if the cars mint like yours, which you already own and you just want a manual, the conversion is still not a bad option. You get to replace a bunch of old parts while you are at it which in theory you would probably have to replace on a factory manual after 30 years anyway (slave, master cyls, clutch, output seal, guibo, short shifter etc). Manual 325 SE for $40k in 5 years time might sound like a bargain?

Edited by adro

@E28E30 That just reminded me - also had someone (in Wellington as well) contact me who has a very nice 4 door manual 325i SE in silver - same as @adro car but stock height / no front lip and cloth interior - garaged / full service history / AC etc.

I didn't enquire as to price or anything as I'm not looking at 4 doors (well, not yet) .

251761518_301840021758029_2646948151138082838_n (1).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1