E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

16 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

@Sammo, is that e30 above the one that got pulled out of a shed recently for like $7k? Has baskets on it and most of the kit by the looks, with no interior?

Not sure, allegedly it’s an M325i so I requested the vin - no mention of an engine either…

On 11/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, gjm said:

Sadly, the market now reflects this: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3325861318

An asking of nearly $10k for a WoF expired, rego on hold, uncerted for changes, rust status unknown "but it's a coupe" car.

Why is this sad?  The Classic Car market doesn't care about our feelings.   

Search 1970's Mazda RX, or late 80's Toyota AE86 or Supras.  35 years ago I could buy decent RX3's for $2500.  Can barely find one today in the same condition for $50k.  Am I sad?  No!  I'm happy for those that cherish the cars they like.

About 50 years ago one could buy all-steel Model A Fords for under $500.  Running.  With a bit of rust.  A former colleague of mine bought one - running, rego'd and easily WoF'd - for $50 in 1969.  How much must you now pay for a barely-complete, unregistered, non-running all-steel Model A Ford?  $25k?  More?  You've got vintage restorers, Rodders and custom car builders competing for steel tubs.

Classic car market candidates all feature advanced age, increased demand, diminishing supply, increased competition for the desireable parts.  This results in increased price.  Price fluctuates with overall economic sentiment and prosperity.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Olaf said:

How much must you now pay for a barely-complete, unregistered, non-running all-steel Model A Ford?  $25k?  More?  You've got vintage restorers, Rodders and custom car builders competing for steel tubs.

I've got (Mum and Dads) pretty original '29 Tudor you can have for $34K :D Bargain!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Why is this sad?  The Classic Car market doesn't care about our feelings.   

Search 1970's Mazda RX, or late 80's Toyota AE86 or Supras.  35 years ago I could buy decent RX3's for $2500.  Can barely find one today in the same condition for $50k.  Am I sad?  No!  I'm happy for those that cherish the cars they like.

About 50 years ago one could buy all-steel Model A Fords for under $500.  Running.  With a bit of rust.  A former colleague of mine bought one - running, rego'd and easily WoF'd - for $50 in 1969.  How much must you now pay for a barely-complete, unregistered, non-running all-steel Model A Ford?  $25k?  More?  You've got vintage restorers, Rodders and custom car builders competing for steel tubs.

Classic car market candidates all feature advanced age, increased demand, diminishing supply, increased competition for the desireable parts.  This results in increased price.  Price fluctuates with overall economic sentiment and prosperity.

This.

You can’t be late to the party and expect to pay what you could’ve when you didn’t.

• Like 2

It's sad that a lot of passionate car enthusiasts have been priced out of their favorite marquees by investors. It was better when these cars were on the road not parked up appreciating.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

It's sad that a lot of passionate car enthusiasts have been priced out of their favorite marquees by investors. It was better when these cars were on the road not parked up appreciating.

It 'would' be, but that's not really the case. E30 purchases and other such value increases of low level cars are driven purely by the NZ real estate market and interest rates. Watch sales slow as NZX shares continue their downward trend and mortgage rates continue to rise. Not to say that prices will drop, but sales volumes do slow.

At a stretch you could say that houses/mortgage rates have introduced a new 'investor' to the car market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

Everyone raves about how good the e30 is blah blah and then complains when demand and prices increases. All prices on all cars are going up at the moment, some more than others but just because someone has more money and desire to own one, does that make them less on enthusiasts and someone with half the money? No

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

All prices on all cars are going up at the moment, some more than others but just because someone has more money and desire to own one, does that make them less on enthusiasts and someone with half the money? No

Depends what their motivation is. If they just want a car to garage for 6 months and then flip I'd say they are harming the enthusiast by driving prices up.

Look at the E36 M3 as a perfect example. A car yard lists one high due to investment potential (appeal to a US market prices). Slowly but surely every one that follows tracks that asking price. All are still for sale but new ones continue to pop up at inflated prices. No aparent demand, but the bar has been artificially raised and that's now "the price".

36 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Depends what their motivation is. If they just want a car to garage for 6 months and then flip I'd say they are harming the enthusiast by driving prices up.

Look at the E36 M3 as a perfect example. A car yard lists one high due to investment potential (appeal to a US market prices). Slowly but surely every one that follows tracks that asking price. All are still for sale but new ones continue to pop up at inflated prices. No aparent demand, but the bar has been artificially raised and that's now "the price".

The irony is that M3 (Low kms Silver LHD 3.2) is now asking $42K and is the cheapest E36 M3 on TM 

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

If people were enthusiasts, surely they would have bought one when they were 5k? Anyone would have worked out that anything with a M badge on it will go up after the rise of the e30 m3. 

It's all about supply and demand, they aren't making them anymore, most of them have been cut up, rusted out and beat up. And if someone is willing to pay then are they inflated? Estroil blue m3 sold for 48kish 12months ago so are they inflated?

10 hours ago, Blackie said:

I agree, it's sad when they can't scrape up enough for a decent tent.

You're confusing higher price with lack of use, or assuming because a car (let's say an e30) doesn't get driven because it's gone up in value.  Can you furnish consistent and reliable data to support your assertion?

7 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I agree, it's sad when they can't scrape up enough for a decent tent.

You're confusing higher price with lack of use, or assuming because a car (let's say an e30) doesn't get driven because it's gone up in value.  Can you furnish consistent and reliable data to support your assertion?

I've seen some of your other threads so will just say, yes you're 110% correct. 😀

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, balancerider said:

@adronice example. I find it slightly astonishing that a 25 year old re-registered car is 'worth' more than my touring though

Guess since they have just spent $13K that’s been built into the asking price? 

9 hours ago, balancerider said:

@adronice example. I find it slightly astonishing that a 25 year old re-registered car is 'worth' more than my touring though

All about the demand I guess. From classic cars to property values in certain suburbs in Auckland and rest of NZ.

12 hours ago, balancerider said:

Even worse, It’s actually a 35 year old car. Plus the gap in value will get wider over time, the joys of automotive depreciation.

12 hours ago, adro said:

Guess since they have just spent $13K that’s been built into the asking price? 

Not sure, I think the pricing is pretty much spot on for the market right now. The owner probably wouldn’t have dropped the $13k into the car if the sale price at the end wasn’t going to be worth it. It’s not like they’ve put the $13k into a 318i Auto 4 Door and now want $25k for it.

3 hours ago, Contrails said:

All about the demand I guess. From classic cars to property values in certain suburbs in Auckland and rest of NZ.

That’s one side of the classic equation, supply being the other. Where it’s a mint E30 M325i or a Ponsonby villa, there are not enough to go around so prices rocket.

Bimmer work or mdecoder is what I usually use. Bimmerwork is showing it as a genuine Mtech car - option 708 and 709. Along with 209 option for LSD.

A "used"  389km NZ New M325i Tech II popped up on FB this morning for $34k 

My cars exact twin..Looks like it came 2 cars after on the production line as well 😎

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, APT said:

A "used"  389km NZ New M325i Tech II popped up on FB this morning for $34k 

My cars exact twin..Looks like it came 2 cars after on the production line as well 😎

Checking it out this afternoon 😁 Needs a bit of love for sure, but it is an M325i in my favourite colour.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Checking it out this afternoon 😁 Needs a bit of love for sure, but it is an M325i in my favourite colour.

Ooh photos please for non FB E30 perves..

7 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

Ooh photos please for non FB E30 perves..

261474994_4560333950668981_8791536831489899500_n.jpg

261783740_4560333374002372_8085170005827380782_n.jpg

261435192_4560333657335677_5793052916823425357_n.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

Easier to retrim sports seats than find sports seats to retrim :)

• Like 2