E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

Originality has a big effect on price, as you say manual swapped, engine swapped, etc. removes the originality factor.

Having the tech 2 bumpers without the side skirts looks a bit odd from the side profile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:Having the tech 2 bumpers without the side skirts looks a bit odd from the side profile. 

Agree.  I dislike the red number plate surround: Reckon it would sell easier if it had a black Euro-spec one, the side skirts and rear spoiler, and pinstripe and monsoon shields removed… oh and if was cheaper.

But E30s are a broad church with a wide range of interested followers and owners who like varying things.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2022 at 5:01 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Wow that’s a flip and a half! Pretty obvious as well with the supply and demand for these so limited.

Apparently was built in the “Motorsport Factory” 🤣

New CCCFA rules have really pulled back lending, so would be much harder to finance an E30 investment now as opposed to a few months ago. 

Would people actually borrow money to buy 30 year old e30's?  Wow.   Nearest thing to financing a car I've done - since 1989 - is extending my mortgage a little, and haven't done that for a car for 16 years.  Usually pay cash for cars.  If I don't have the cash, I can't afford it.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:58 AM, gjm said:

These are the considerations I've been mulling over with our Baur.
It's not a manual, kms aren't especially low (but not silly high), and it's not NZ new.
It *is* is good/very good condition, is a desirable colour, has a full list of options, and is rare.

Pricing is a nightmare - many swings and roundabouts. Fortunately we're not in a hurry!

no need to worry mate, you've been chanting that e30's are over-valued for ages now (while the market's moved more than $20k), so set your concience free and list it for $4k.  Easy! 😎

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Agree.  I dislike the red number plate surround: Reckon it would sell easier if it had a black Euro-spec one, the side skirts and rear spoiler, and pinstripe and monsoon shields removed… oh and if was cheaper.

But E30s are a broad church with a wide range of interested followers and owners who like varying things.

That's a Euro Heckblende - a very desireable and costly item.   You're essentially saying "if it looked exactly like I expect it to, it'll sell well".  Do you manage to put aside your prejudices when buying a house?  Or do you say "oh I don't like the colour of the bathroom.  It'd sell easier if it was black.  No, onto the next one".

You really need to see the detail work on this one.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

Would people actually borrow money to buy 30 year old e30's?  Wow. 

When they were $3,000 for a good one people probably didn’t have to as they were relatively affordable. Now they are in the $30k-40k price range I would think most are being financed in some way or other - including stick it on the mortgage. 

The cost of lending, and availability of funds, has a big effect on car sales as a whole, as was visible in December and Jan. which indirectly affects the prices of all vehicles due to the movement in the supply v demand balance.
Classic cars, including E30s, are an “investment” now apparently.

• Like 4

I like your use of "" around investment.  All classic cars are speculation.  Some have reasonable odds, but it's still not an asset, nor is it one that produces a return during ownership.

Much as I love my e30, I'd not mention it as an asset in any statement of position.  It's clearly a liability, soaking up coin for storage and maintenance [edit:  and insurance]  It's a Hobby - the kind of dirty secret the Govt currently has our bankers running around digging up the dirt on.  "what's this $200 worth of lube every six months?  Kinky."

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 4

A properly special car, but at a price. And it's still some way shy of perfect.
Rego quoted is inaccurate - the pic does show what may have been the correct plate, but it's been reassigned.

trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m/listing/3468849854

Edited by gjm

4 hours ago, gjm said:
Rego quoted is inaccurate - the pic does show what may have been the correct plate, but it's been reassigned.

Yeah the dealer is trying to hide the history as it’s a mega-flip, mentioned a little way back in the thread. 
At least the rubbish about being built in the Motorsport factory has been removed from the listing.

• Like 3

I don’t mind a flip, am likely to be doing one on the R53 GP I bought, but the money I am sinking into it to make it better will barely be recovered.

That is why this “mega flip” feels a bit off as minor things like the two small paint defects have not been done.  But there are all sorts of approaches I guess

• Like 1

Yeah 2nd hand dealer approach is usually pure greed. Minimal effort and maximum reward. I understand they are a business, but buying a car, putting a huge margin on it, then not even bothering to address even minor issues nets them no respect from me.  

• Like 4

^^^^^
Complete with what used to pass as a personalised plate, perfect if your name is Oswald Quidditch.

• Haha 4

Quite a few sitting at around 30k now going nowhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MD13 said:

Quite a few sitting at around 30k now going nowhere.

Yeah, it does feel like the market has softened a bit, some of these cars might have flown off the shelf 3 months ago.

About the same time mortgage rates started climbing 🤔

• Like 2

I think the NZ market is definitely inflated.  E30 M3s sitting at $100k going nowhere.  

Meanwhile in Dubai https://www.dubicars.com/1992-bmw-m3-current-location-japan-455013.html

150,000 AED is about $60,000 NZD for an E30 M3 with 56000kms.

Edited by Contrails
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Contrails said:

I think the NZ market is definitely inflated.  E30 M3s sitting at $100k going nowhere.  

Meanwhile in Dubai https://www.dubicars.com/1992-bmw-m3-current-location-japan-455013.html

You’re probably right, however that sounds like a good price in Dubai.  Add on the freight, tax and compliance costs, it goes up.  Not to $100k for sure but there’s probably a premium on not having to worry about doing all that yourself, too?  The Coronavirus bubble appears to have plateaued or even shrunken a bit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Contrails said:

How genuine is that web-site though, lots of errors in the info - it’s not a 92, it’s not auto, wheels aren’t 18’ and if it is a 6 cylinder than that explains the price! 

They have two others listed, a red one sold at 250k (NZ$100k) and a black one still for sale at 200k (NZ$80k) which does make the white one look like good buying.

Yes NZ E30s are a bit over-priced on world market but you are taking a punt on buying overseas when you can travel to see it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

They have two others listed, a red one sold at 250k (NZ$100k) and a black one still for sale at 200k (NZ$80k) which does make the white one look like good buying.

Yes NZ E30s are a bit over-priced on world market but you are taking a punt on buying overseas when you can travel to see it!

I did see the errors. I have a friend who lives in Dubai who has bought a car off the company. But who’s to say that he may have a couple of legit deals and some dodgy ones? But if I did live in Dubai - I would have pursued this further.

Edited by Contrails
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 7:28 AM, Ghost Chip said:

Listed at 20k. Not sure what the displacement is but considering prices nowadays and if they’re honest about the rust, not a bad buy for 20k.

F12E1AA4-47DE-42E6-B01B-CFFF759B4AE4.thumb.png.08821a7fe3de0c6aed43e33b32743d88.png

Sold for $16.5k with confirmed B20

• Like 3

@Chillin Will I be seeing this hooning around the Shore? 😎

• Like 1

Thanks @Sammo, will need to catch up for a beer and take her for a spin. You never got to see her in the flesh. 

• Like 1