Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Vanos Fault code? P1554

Man it never ends!

A code came up today P1554 which seems to be something to do with sticky Vanos.

I'm not noticing any issues with idle, power or rattles up there.

Anyone experienced this before? How do I go about diagnosis

Had same codes on two different N52 3.0’s. Replaced vanos solenoids on both engines, problem gone. Easy DIY 

note - inter web searches will suggest cleaning them. That never worked in both cases so replacement was the road I took. 

Edited by str8_6
  • Like 1

Ive fixed one by cleaning an exhaust solenoid, 2m job to pull em out.  

Ok will try cleaning first, 

God they are pricey OEM! Can see one on FCP from veico for $50 USD but mixed opinions about causing irratic idle.

Where have you guys purchased from / price and any issues? Or have you only bought genuine BMW ones which look to be 180usd ea

Ive had amazon ones in the 330 for over a year without fault, bought them for parts cannon troubleshooting, wasnt them.... just left them in :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WK32Y3/ref=pe_1861300_290303380_em_1p_0_ti

What diagnostic tool are you using, will it clear fault codes and adaptions ? You also need something that will give you live data

@B.M.W Ltd just one of those Bluetooth viecar things. I have cleared the fault code, the check engine light is off for now .

I'm using torque lite, think I need to get the upgrade for live data.

What am I checking for?

@Jacko you are a legend, I was looking at them and was hoping someone else had fitted them and could confirm Working fine.

That price Is a hell of a lot better than 200usd a piece lol

Bit paranoid after my CCV Fiasco

Are the solenoids exactly the same? Just one goes in exhaust and the other in inlet?

• Like 1

Would anyone happen to have off hand what the resistance is supposed to be across the solenoid? Might crank out the multi-meter and check for the sake of it

1 hour ago, 325_driver said:

Are the solenoids exactly the same? Just one goes in exhaust and the other in inlet?

Yes they are, clean them swap them and see if your fault follows. But as Glenn your testing ability will depend on your scan tool and what it is capable of

1 hour ago, 325_driver said:

Would anyone happen to have off hand what the resistance is supposed to be across the solenoid? Might crank out the multi-meter and check for the sake of it

The two genuine ones that have been sitting in my parts stash measure 10.4 ohm each.

Took them out gave them a good clean

Vanos units measured exactly 11.2Ohm, which after doing a but more research seems to be within spec

The P1554 code is only intermittent, I actually remember it popping up about 1000 km ago, but my reader said it was a cruise control fault, it was only when i googled it that i  found out it was vanos related.

Might just see if it comes back @Jacko could i buy your spare ones if the code comes back? I would prefer buying second hand OEM to parts off Amazon again, scarred for life LOL. 

Edited by 325_driver

Also something else,

When I took them out, I only noticed 1 gasket (the black one on the right)

I couldn't seem to find the left grey one on either

They dont fall off into the head do they?

Either that or the people who last worked on the car never put them back in,

just wondering if i should be concerned lol

Does that grey seal stay in place around that groove? or does it get pushed up against the black one. I was pretty gentle bringing the valves out and that gasket definitely wasn't there.

image.png.7eff24dead40cd5fb2c0c6c38f303d04.png

image.png.69d00eb6f168cc63469e31416a152418.png

Edited by 325_driver

@NRJ codes Haven't returned .. yet. They were pretty clean when I took them out. And gave them a good soaking in brake cleaner.

I checked the gap in the head they weren't there lol, and I definitely didn't pull them out.

They starting to leak though now lol. Gasket goo didn't hold up too long haha

*Edit .. o I see what your talking about now. Had no idea they had filter's thanks! I'll take em out and clean em when I do my next oil change.

Edited by 325_driver

So after a good cleaning, new oil no issues for 3000km but today a p0015 code about cam shaft over retard and a strange idle surge.

Is this symptomatic of the same sensors?

Just didn't want to replace them before if it was just a cleaning thing, but hopefully this confirms that one is on the way out

On 2/21/2020 at 3:13 AM, 325_driver said:

So after a good cleaning, new oil no issues for 3000km but today a p0015 code about cam shaft over retard and a strange idle surge.

Is this symptomatic of the same sensors?

Just didn't want to replace them before if it was just a cleaning thing, but hopefully this confirms that one is on the way out

When I had that code pop up, accompanied with a rough idle, I replaced the camshaft position sensor and cleaned the two solenoids. That seemed to the trick, now it seems I’m throwing the 01554 code. I bought my sensor on FCP euro!

Did replacing the two vanos solenoids fix your P1554 code? I think that is the route I’m going to have to take. I cleaned the intake vanos and the code went away but when I am at an idle the rpms seem to go as low as 500 (should be about 600) and there’s a little shake. I also feel a loss of power went accelerating. For reference it is an 07 328xi N52 manual. 

Edited by mckela