hqstu

e46 330ci Clubsport SSG

After 4 months off the road (the day after I bought it), it's sorted for the meantime....

A heap of fun with the SSG box and something just a bit different... it goes very well... had to run the software for the SSG bleeding and adaptions.

Things sorted include; OFHG leak, slave cyl leak, new WP, Thermo, plugs, CCV hoses, idlers, exp tank, engine and trans mounts, full underside clean, new road wheel, replacement steering wheel, new gearknob, curb rash, headlight fog, bit of paint, trim, emblems etc etc etc...

After a breather, may get into a bit of painting... 

Be keen to know of any detail as to how many clubsports may be around?

330_126.JPG

330_131.JPG

330_135.JPG

• Like 4

330_3.JPG

330_22.JPG

330_58.JPG

330_69.JPG

330_77.JPG

330_108.JPG

330_117.JPG

• Like 1

330_68.JPG

330_95.JPG

330_114.JPG

330_130.JPG

330_132.JPG

• Like 10

Great work. Looks like the previous owner was allergic to maintenance.

• Like 1

Genuine 1 lady owner.  She bought it off BMW Rotorua at 10,000k in 2004 as a demo (paid $108k), and drove it for the next 290,000km doing the basics.  I don't think she shirked on it but I suspect once she was told the SSG was leaking hydraulic oil (she didn't tell me lol) and it was going to cost $$$$$$$ (as they all say that - not necessarily true...) she lost the will a bit and parked it up for the last 2 years or so.  I'm surprised it drove OK coming over the Kaimai's on purchase day - given everything that was going on with it...

• Like 1

If you’re ever wanting to part ways with this, let me know... 

22 hours ago, hqstu said:
22 hours ago, hqstu said:

Be keen to know of any detail as to how many clubsports may be around?

Not easy to find the exact numbers as it’s unlikely the Clubsport would be listed separately to the other E46 Coupes. NZ New might be under a seperate sub-model, but any imports could be listed in a whole heap of places.

Spent yesterday swapping out a rather tired 300km interior for a set in better condition.  Front seats, back seat, front door cards, taking care of a number of sub-optimal aspects along the way... :)   Along with a replaced very good paddled steering wheel and a new gear shift knob, plus a Aux input radio - has completely transformed the interior.. 

The old set is up for sale (last photo), going cheap $200?  Average condition, electric sports seats, pm me...

Next up... the diff bush...

330_138.JPG

330_140.JPG

330_141.JPG

330_143.JPG

330_146.JPG

• Like 5

The dreaded airbag light on after the retrofit, and INPA would not reset it... traced it to the driver seat belt tensioner wiring being butchered (the seat probably being involved in a prior air bag activation, a replacement part with not the same connections).... Out with the seat again, out with the soldering iron and soon sorted... always something to catch you out...

Today I tackled the rear bush supporting the diff.  What a sh*t of a job, even when I thought I had the right tools... much swearing and wailing as I broke a high tensile bolt and stripped the thread on another, punched myself in the cheek when the socket let go... getting the exhaust, sway bar, diff itself out was easy... I now know why I've been putting off this job for a few months...

330_161.JPG

330_157.JPG

330_159.JPG

330_163.JPG

• Like 2

Next time ill lent you my gas torch

• Like 1

Got a 2005 Velvet Blue Clubsport down in Wellington, currently getting it sorted out just as you are.

Wouldn't happen to know where i could get a replacement headlight for the left hand side. Apparently the things you use to adjust the headlight are broken so have to get a whole new headlight now.

Edited by duluth

What a gorgeous car. 

Worth doing the hard yards of maintenance to get the most out of it. 

• Like 2

Beautiful car, love the colour, can't be too many of these in NZ.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:08 PM, Sammo said:

can't be too many of these in NZ

I've had a bit of a search online including downloading the motor vehicle register.  From what I can decipher this is the only Estoril Blue Clubsport with SMG in NZ.  There is one other Clubsport SMG (carbon black I think) (and who knows if it's still SMG as many SMG's have been ruined by converting to three pedals...?), and a maybe an auto and/or manual or two.  But yeah, very rare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hqstu said:

I've had a bit of a search online including downloading the motor vehicle register.  From what I can decipher this is the only Estoril Blue Clubsport with SMG in NZ.  There is one other Clubsport SMG (carbon black I think) (and who knows if it's still SMG as many SMG's have been ruined by converting to three pedals...?), and a maybe an auto and/or manual or two.  But yeah, very rare.

One of the best ever BMW colours ?

• Like 2

@hqstu has passed the torch onto me so i thought id just continue adding to this thread. Lots of time and money already gone into this so just taking it to next level mechanically whilst keeping it original as i can.

Cosmetically it's pretty much already sorted for me apart from a few trim bits i need to install. Still looks tidy despite the age and k's, only really let down by the classic NZ stone chips on the grill and bonnet which require a proper respray to sort.

Engine wise its same as above, again Stuart has done a good job here. Engine still pulls strong like most higher k's NZ new cars ive owned. Vanos seals will be done for a likely improvement. Very minor seepage from high pressure power steering hose and rear main seal, otherwise one of the cleanest well running M5X's ive seen.

SSG transmission takes a bit of getting used to, it can be shifted quite smooth in lower gears\rpm around town once you adapt but its really at home under sprinted driving using 3-5th gear. Still prefer the manual overall but it's far more enjoyable than the 5 speed auto.       

Suspension is average BMW, it appears most parts are still original items as expected but beside front bump stops nothing has outright failed. This is the main focus for me and is always money well spent in my experience.  

Steering isn't as razor sharp as it should be. There slop in the linkage from rubber steering coupler which is past its used by date. This will be replaced with poly version of some sorts due to cost\availability of genuine RHD one. Doing that along with the front control arm bushings should vastly improve steering response.  Tyres appear to be flat spotted somewhat which is likely the cause of minor shimmy at highway speeds (lesser degree once warmed up). Re-balance, alignment and new parts installed along with more driving should help that. 

Following parts have\will be ordered:

• Sachs front struts with mounts and bump stops
  • Sachs rear shocks with Meyle HD mounts
  • Meyle HD front control arm bushings
  • Lemforder rear trailing arm bushings and ball joints with limiters
  • TRW brake rotors front and rear to go with supplied Akebone ceramic pads
  • Brake hoses front and rear
  • Caliper guide bushings front and rear
  • Vanos seals
  • 2x coolant pipes under manifold with associated seals and CCV + hoses (for piece of mind)
  • Hood struts
  • Front and rear sway bar bushings (maybe poly, genuine ones seem overpriced)

Future:

• O2 sensors (reading slow)
  • Rest of rear control and subframe bushings (will re-evaluate once above suspension parts done)
  • Inspect clutch\flywheel and driveshaft. Replace flex disc and hanger bearing\support same time.
Edited by Eagle
  • Like 10

Great stuff Jared.  As we can see, it's in good hands...

Made a dent in the list. Only issue was the hack who fitted the rubbish CTE FCAB's and cross threaded the RH threads while he was at it. Luckily the were repairable. 

FSU decided to start acting up so i had to replace that with a good spare i had. '02 build so may of been original. 

New genuine lower coupling on the way and will replace the upper as there is some minor play there also.

Also fitted the 2x bottom rear window trims @hqstu gave me. Expensive parts for a little improvement.

srp.jpg

wt.jpg

• Like 2

@Eagle where did you source the upper coupling? was thinking of replacing mine as it still had a little play after doing the lower (poly) coupler and tierods.

Its actually in the shop to get it looked at (and new RTABs) and turned out to be a busted bearing inside the steering column so replacement column going in - be interested to see how much better it feels next week...

@Sammo Haven't sourced one yet but will likely just find a good used one for now at least. They are around the same price as the lower coupling ($~370 NZD local dealer and ~2 week wait). About the same UK pricing by the time you add shipping and tax. 

RE bearing - Didn't even know it was an issue on these. Was it making any noises or just steering feel?

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

@Sammo Haven't sourced one yet but will likely just find a good used one for now at least. They are around the same price as the lower coupling ($~370 NZD local dealer and ~2 week wait). About the same UK pricing by the time you add shipping and tax. 

RE bearing - Didn't even know it was an issue on these. Was it making any noises or just steering feel?

Was definitely the cause of a noisy / grindy sound behind wheel - hoping it tightens up the steering the last little bit too.

Replaced the vanos seals for good measure, the old ones certainly were loose in the bores like some. Head and top valve cover clean as you'd would expect from a car like this.

vc.jpg

• Like 3

Finished off the rear suspension - Trialing a set of TRW rear shocks which are suppose to be Msport equivalents (Sachs don't make any now days). RTABS + limiters - old bushings weren't as bad as i expected but are '02 labeled so probably the originals. 

20211106_133932.thumb.jpg.4034bc4c89a8b8f15071af1aa7e0dfde.jpg

20211102_191122.thumb.jpg.f8becbe5535df005fe3ee1c0ea6bf960.jpg

Front struts done - old ones were completely gone as expected,  the weight of a 19mm 1\2" impact socket would compress the piston to near bottom. I only noticed one of the strut towers was mushroomed upon strut removal, likely caused by worn struts and mounts combined with pot holes. Have hammered it flat and will be putting in some reinforcement plates before re-installing.  

20211106_103805.thumb.jpg.a4ce42cb9cc02acd5f3e2458e8fede99.jpg 

20211106_111120.thumb.jpg.8d5e0319a3f7e9958766d1956426b4ab.jpg

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 7