Sign in to follow this  
Goffy

Car detailing- anyone had experience with ceramic car coating?

On 7/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, Sammo said:

If you don't mind doing it yourself and if you're like me and actually enjoy the process, I don't see any real need for ceramic.

Modern good sealants (spray or liquid) are extremely easy to apply and can last 3+ months, much longer if you're topping up or using SiO2 wash or spray wax regularly.

My process now is to clay and light polish, IPA wipe down and apply sealant every 6 months, wash every week or two and use a topper (little more sealant or spray wax) every month. I use a bit of spray wax with Carnuba in it when drying too to help drying and put a little more gloss on it.

Car looks amazing almost all the time, and I park on the street. 

Thanks. You speak sense. I think Ceramic might be something I do for the Wife's car where I don't really want to be bothering with it very often. 

Yeah I'm going to stick with what I know. I've got a cupboard full of sealants and waxes I like and yeah I enjoy the process, especially as a good wax lasts a few months. 

Do you have a place to get hold of decent amounts of IPA ? I keep buying tiny bottles from the chemist for about $9!!! 

Washing the car at all is a total pain given the water restrictions in Auckland right now! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HalfJobHarry said:

Thanks. You speak sense. I think Ceramic might be something I do for the Wife's car where I don't really want to be bothering with it very often. 

Yeah I'm going to stick with what I know. I've got a cupboard full of sealants and waxes I like and yeah I enjoy the process, especially as a good wax lasts a few months. 

Do you have a place to get hold of decent amounts of IPA ? I keep buying tiny bottles from the chemist for about $9!!! 

Washing the car at all is a total pain given the water restrictions in Auckland right now! 

I just get a litre from bunnings but looking on Trade Me you can get 1-4 litre lots as well. 

I recently got some Carpro Ech20 which I've been using as a rinseless wash. 

Half a bucket of water and 4 micor fibre towels so I'm not reusing dirty towels on the car and works well. Leaves a bit of gloss on the car too. 

Wouldn't use for a particularly dirty car but works great for a bit of road grime etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sammo said:

I just get a litre from bunnings but looking on Trade Me you can get 1-4 litre lots as well. 

I recently got some Carpro Ech20 which I've been using as a rinseless wash. 

Half a bucket of water and 4 micor fibre towels so I'm not reusing dirty towels on the car and works well. Leaves a bit of gloss on the car too. 

Wouldn't use for a particularly dirty car but works great for a bit of road grime etc. 

Oh....never though to check Bunnings. Cheers. 

I'll checkout the Ech20, been looking for something like that. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, Olaf said:

I bought 5 litres of IPA from a commercial cleaning products place, used for stripping my under bonnet.  Be prepared to show ID though, as the polis like to keep abreast of where quantities of certain chemicals are going.

I stick with Auto Glym products @Autoglym - frankly the ceramic work/cost outlined previously sounds no less than my current regime.  Clay bar every six months or so, a quick do-over with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish after.  And Auto Glym Super Resin Polish every ~6 washes.... when the car's kept on the street.  Washing is always with Auto Glym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner.  Wheels with Auto Glym Wheel Brush, and Auto Glym Clean Wheels.   Dried with a Rapid Dry Towel.  Buy your stuff here:  www.barrysgarage.co.nz 

Here's the e30 after a wash, dry, and a quick polish.  Black bits treated to Auto Glym Bumper and Trim Gel.

That's the size of IPA I need really....will track down a commercial place. Yeah IPA is an ingredient (or part of the process) in a popular illicit substance so they understandably keep an eye on bulk buying :D

Edited by HalfJobHarry
grammar
  • Thanks 1