Sign in to follow this  
Crozzy

E46 Flywheel Compatiblity

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/engines/listing-2393077392.htm?rsqid=d6ebce0a401c4491ac6b5d9a7c6cdc18-001

Kia ora guys and gals.

Been planning to do a manual conversion on my 330ci for a while now, got a conversion kit from the wreckers but the flywheel is heavily corroded and seems to be seized internally so I figure there's no point putting it into the car. This E46 M3 flywheel on TradeMe seems to be a suitable replacement, however no matter how much research I've been trying to do I can't find a definitive answer on if it will work. The internal diameter seems to be the only thing I would think would cause an issue, but it looks to be the same as the non-m counterpart.

The clutch doesn't matter, I'll ditch that part or get a new friction disk with the suitable spline, I'm only unsure on the flywheel. I'll probably chuck a lightweight flywheel in down the line, but just looking for something to chuck in for now so I can get the conversion done.

Hoping someone more knowledgeable than me will have some insight! Cheers

Dimensionally they are the same so they match up fine with starter gear, crank etc. They are slightly lighter than a regular M52\M54 so some sort of difference in machining or internal construction. Im using one in my car with a standard Luk clutch kit but personally i hate the self adjusting clutch.  

• Thanks 1

The S54 flywheel and pressure plate will fit. That flywheel in the ad you reference is stuffed. - don’t bother going there. 

I’ve done a 330i 6speed ZF conversion using a S54 flywheel and pressure plate with the 240mm 6speed 22 spline clutch plate. All work perfectly together. - this configuration required an adapter for the pilot bearing, but is simple and reliable. 

let me know if you have any questions on the conversion.. and there’s heaps of stuff online ..

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies! 

17 hours ago, Dogballs said:

That flywheel in the ad you reference is stuffed. - don’t bother going there. 

Ahh, cheers. I cleaned the flywheel I have off and gave it a tickle with the copper hammer and that freed it up. Did the old teeth marking to check the play and it's beyond spec and making a funky scratchy sound so in the bin that goes. Think I'm gonna just bite the bullet and pick up one of NZAD's lightweight flywheel and clutch kits off TM, do it once do it right and all that.

Cheers!

Edited by Crozzy

You can get a single mass conversion solid flywheel kit off Speedfactor for ~1k last time i checked.   

DKM brand stage 1 which is uprated from stock, i couldn't find much info on it but Evan and the team know and support their products better than most.

6 hours ago, Eagle said:

You can get a single mass conversion solid flywheel kit off Speedfactor for ~1k last time i checked.   

DKM brand stage 1 which is uprated from stock, i couldn't find much info on it but Evan and the team know and support their products better than most.

Superb, thanks for the info! I'll keep them in mind

My current thought is this kit https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/clutches/listing-2386561821.htm?rsqid=5c867f979e6b4f5a882bc335b0d66d0d-001