Sign in to follow this  
icasak

First e30, advice wanted.

Hi all, looking purchase my first e30 and reading up on as much as I can but wanting some advice.

Juggling between two e30s right now, a relatively clean 320i SE available here in Auckland (where I am) and a m20b25 swapped 320i down in Christchurch. The swapped one needs a bit of work, coilovers need fixing and body isn't as atraight but is certed with wof and reg. It's also roughly the same price but I will need to organise transport to Auckland.

If it were you, would you be looking to get the first or the second? Will hopefully be my daily driver so not looking to build something too extreme.

Thanks in advance! 

If it's the SE I'm thinking about, I'd run with that. It has more value than a swapped 320i. I actually made a meme today for the e30 page that is rather topical. 

3fxk50.jpg.becc505c3c4fdf0754132e45e6e4a495.jpg

• Haha 4

Haha yep that's more what I'm leaning towards, I think your meme has sold it. 

Was unsure as everyone  bags on the b20 engine vs the b25, thought I could take a shortcut but probably best not to..

Depends what you're after but the b20 will still be heaps of fun. Have you owned e30s before? Are you in Auckland? HUNT for rust. 9/10 there'll be some hiding somewhere, whether the current owner knows it or not. Mechanical swapping of components can be done by anyone but rust/panel/paint work requires more skill and patience or money.

• Like 2

Yup I'm in Auckland and it'll be my first e30. I've made a note to look at the common spots like sills, arches and roof, anywhere else I should be aware of? 

Also considering getting a ppi down with bmworkshop in botany, have heard some forum members recommend them as trustworthy.

The earlier, chrome bumper, E30s have more rust issues than the later plastic bumper ones.

Check inside the boot, pull up the carpets in the corners of the boot, and around the rear lights.

Also the firewall between the engine and the passenger compartment, harder to see  but very common and hard to fix.

13 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Depends what you're after but the b20 will still be heaps of fun. Have you owned e30s before? Are you in Auckland? HUNT for rust. 9/10 there'll be some hiding somewhere, whether the current owner knows it or not. Mechanical swapping of components can be done by anyone but rust/panel/paint work requires more skill and patience or money.

I'm looking at rego PW4922, looks like it might have been well taken care of in the past. Is this the one you're thinking of? 

2 hours ago, icasak said:

I'm looking at rego PW4922, looks like it might have been well taken care of in the past. Is this the one you're thinking of? 

PW4922 is my old car I sold it in Jan this year. It was a great car I owned it from early 2015, the body is in good shape for the km's and no rust. If the other car is https://www.trademe.co.nz/2329094065  I would take PW4922 hands down. If you have any other questions about it feel free to PM me.

Edited by alisterh