Sign in to follow this  
Jadnz

Extremely loud rattle :(

Hi,

So I have a rattle coming from the rear of my 96 740i. It started as a faint squeak after using a gas stations car wash and disappeared after a 800km trip. Got a car wash a couple days ago and now the rattle noise is so bad I don't really want to drive it. Only happens when driving and not when stopped. I can make it do the sound if I bounce the rear end but no where near as bad haha, would anyone know where to start looking? 

I'm new to attempting to maintain my car myself, but have little knowledge when it comes to that type of rattle. ?

received_506440616866530.jpeg

4 hours ago, Jadnz said:

Forgot to add that It went from tolerable to embarrassment over 1 day. 

maybe shock top mount stuffed , get it on a hoist to check all the suspension parts

• Like 1

I'd do a little more isolation first.

Get a mate, have them 'bounce' the rear end whilst you run and slide around listening carefully to the general area that the noise is coming front. Small to large sound over a very short period of time normally indicates total component failure so do take care if you're driving it.

Post back when you have a more specific idea (high/low, left/right, rear/rear wheels/further forward etc, etc).

It was coming from rear definitely passenger  side. It came right a couple days ago, unsure if its was from driving on a lime track or if it sorted itself out - will be getting it looked at after the xmas rush. Everyone was too busy, 6 weeks or more for a nosey