M3AN

My Fun 130i (E87 LCI Motorsport Auto)

As well as cruise control. I'm sure I'll never use it but it's another option box ticked.

Cruise_Control.jpg 

Seems extraordinary that otherwise well specced JDM 130i's don't come with it, although I guess my E91 didn't have it either.

3 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Seems extraordinary that otherwise well specced JDM 130i's don't come with it, although I guess my E91 didn't have it either.

Yeah, it seems like a pretty common option on run-of-the-mill cars today. I wonder how many NZ new 1ers came with it as 'standard'?

I hate how BMW put the the LHS decals on upside down... ? They should look "correct" on the calliper, regardless of how it's installed on the vehicle... like every other calliper on Earth. ?

Calipers.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Will you paint them or leave them blue?

I'm going to leave them as is, I quite like the blue. A guy in the UK did his in satin black with Brembo decals and they did look very good but I don't want to faff around. 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 5:31 PM, M3AN said:

And that's about it! My principle reason for doing this is that I've always wanted a BBK, they look cool, I don't particularly care if they don't perform any better than stock on the street.

Not the normal reason for doing a brake conversion, what are you looking at doing on the master cylinder and booster side?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Not the normal reason for doing a brake conversion, what are you looking at doing on the master cylinder and booster side?

No, most people misguidedly do it because they think it's going to improve their day-to-day braking which it won't. edit: unless their day-to-day is on a track of course! 

No other changes, this is a combination proven many times over for the E8x in the US and UK which is a large part of the reason I went down this path, I wasn't willing to try an unproven setup.

Edited by M3AN

Id code SPBR and see the difference, the actual volume of the caliper is probably similar to the 6 piston caliper bmwp ones. 

15 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Id code SPBR and see the difference, the actual volume of the caliper is probably similar to the 6 piston caliper bmwp ones. 

Yep, that's on my radar and the M-lite brakes are apparently the same volume and bias as the BMWP ones.

If you get too lazy I will take that Cruise control setup off your hands.

I've been meaning to source one as I spend 90% of my driving time on the open road.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Driftit said:

I've been meaning to source one as I spend 90% of my driving time on the open road.

Noted, you have first option if I CBA.

26 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Cruise control on open road is a joy. Makes it so easy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

Cruise control on open road is a joy. Makes it so easy

It's pretty much how I drove around America.

considering everywhere is miles from anywhere else, I dont see any other way you could do it.

On my wlg-akl trip I had the cruise control on from hamilton to akl and it was too easy.

Much to my surprise, considering everything that could be an obstacle, was indeed an obstacle, I retrofitted cruise control today. I went in thinking I'd just double the 1 hour suggested time ... I ended up getting very little else done today!

What could have gone wrong:

• Communications errors with modules
  • Airbag took ~40 mins to unclip (the most retarded solution BMW could have imagined)
  • All reinstalled and I'd failed to centre the slip ring, very lucky I was careful turning the wheel before I realised
  • Take it all back off again to centre slip ring
  • Coding instructions I had didn't match the software I had
  • Unable to code to DSC module

But in the end, after fighting with NCSExpert (mostly in German) and basically spamming every option I could find I brute-forced my way through.

You need to code the vehicle option to the CAS module and then update the DCS module. The CAS completed successfully multiple times, the DSC not at all, Christmas tree dash (and 26 stored errors ?). Fortunately the calibration of the steering wheel angle sensor in ISTA was straight forward (I needed to do it twice, seems common) but still Christmas tree dash. After calibration I cleared the errors and only one left which was "DSC Module Coding Required" which I sort-of knew but the kick in that direction was motivating because I'd had so many failed updates to random modules earlier I assumed I'd royally screwed up a whole bunch of things. Back into NCSExpert and I just winged it really, selected DSC wherever I could and spammed CODIEREN on every screen possible. Once I'd exhausted my options I cleared the codes and started the car (with my eyes closed). Tada! Normal dash.

I was still completely unconvinced it was working but took it for a drive and how about that, cruise control and no errors/codes/lights. It even comes up as an official retrofit in ISTA.

It's a novelty for me really but it's done now (sorry @Driftit - but I did think of your request multiple times today when I was about to give up in despair).

• Like 3

Wheels and rear diffuser freshly painted in Ferric Grey II by GT Refinishers, lovely. The diffuser change is very subtle, to the extent that it might not have been necessary, but it does 'pop' a lot more than the standard grey.

Now on the hunt for tyres, I'm torn between sticking with what I know I like with Goodyear F1's or spending a little less on something different.

Not a lot of natural light for the pics today. Oh, and I just realised I only have 3 of the little ///M badge stickers. ?

208_Painted_01.jpg

208_Painted_02.jpg

• Like 2

Re003s are sticky and cheap

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jacko said:

+1

Didn't realise the diffuser popped out like that, makes it way easier to paint. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

And buy one get one half price up until midnight tomorrow which makes them pretty sharp, better than anything quality Hyper has with their "40% off" BS.

But Bridgestone's online store can't calculate correctly and it is quoting me $57 more than the sum of the costs. How hard is it to get a computer to add stuff up correctly? ?

I see I can get F1's from Discount Tyres for the same price as the Bridgestones, and in my preferred directional(f)+asym(r) configuration. Decisions, decisions.

the colour doesnt look right to me, is it due to the sunlight? definitely looks bright silver more than ferric grey?

14 minutes ago, M3AN said:

And buy one get one half price up until midnight tomorrow which makes them pretty sharp, better than anything quality Hyper has with their "40% off" BS.

But Bridgestone's online store can't calculate correctly and it is quoting me $57 more than the sum of the costs. How hard is it to get a computer to add stuff up correctly? ?

I see I can get F1's from Discount Tyres for the same price as the Bridgestones, and in my preferred directional(f)+asym(r) configuration. Decisions, decisions.

Tonys tyre service always seem to have sharp pricing on em. 

• Like 1