M3AN

My Fun 130i (E87 LCI Motorsport Auto)

19 minutes ago, qube said:

the colour doesnt look right to me, is it due to the sunlight? definitely looks bright silver more than ferric grey?

They look more grey in person than in my pics but still in the grey/silver spectrum. It's quite a tricky colour really, they look quite different from different angles. I'm not one to judge if it's a perfect colour match, I'd probably need to put them next to some BMW factory ones before I could make that call. Regardless I do like the colour, it's much darker than the stock colour so should suit the car better.  

I don't think you'd know unless somebody told you, and even then...

It's got a slight metallic sparkle to it and doesn't look as flat, cleared up a couple of scratches too. And it looks much better since I've been driving around with it off since the last lockdown.

Painted_Diffuser.jpg

• Like 2

Bridgestone R003's ordered from Tony's Tyres, thanks for the tip @Jacko - they have a new outlet literally on my street.

I'd actually ordered and paid for a set of Goodyears from Discount Tyres online but they emailed me later and said they couldn't fulfil. That was a pain because I missed the end of Bridgestone's sale (31 Oct) so costs went back up by ~$500 ?. They have been hassle free in processing the refund though, and they've updated their website stock since so credit there.

Tony's priced the R003's out at ~$1650 but matched the Bridgestone sale price even though it was finished (there's obviously a good margin on tyres in NZ). 2 x 225/40/18 + 2 x 255/35/18 for $1,208 = $300 a corner which I can't complain about.

I'll get them mounted on Friday.

• Like 1

Thats a good price. I got my last set of re003 from tonys using pricematch and it worked out similar

Tony's actually really impressed me, the guys in Takanini actually appeared to give a fudge, and did stuff like torque the wheels to manufacturer spec.. 

Yeah, gotta say I was impressed with them today. If my opinion holds after Friday then I'm happy to send business their way, they actually did seem to give a sh*t, branch manager took his time and priced up a number of options for me without bother, workshop and showroom were also spotless. I'm glad I visited.

6 hours ago, M3AN said:

they actually did seem to give a sh*t, branch manager took his time and priced up a number of options for me without bother, workshop and showroom were also spotless.

It won't last.  Tony's Tyres throughout Welly (many branches) are essentially sh*t, they'll race anyone to the bottom on price, and the service follows.  They do seem to usually manage to fit black circles on wheels most of the time.

14 hours ago, M3AN said:

Bridgestone R003's ordered from Tony's Tyres, thanks for the tip @Jacko - they have a new outlet literally on my street.

I'd actually ordered and paid for a set of Goodyears from Discount Tyres online but they emailed me later and said they couldn't fulfil. That was a pain because I missed the end of Bridgestone's sale (31 Oct) so costs went back up by ~$500 ?. They have been hassle free in processing the refund though, and they've updated their website stock since so credit there.

Tony's priced the R003's out at ~$1650 but matched the Bridgestone sale price even though it was finished (there's obviously a good margin on tyres in NZ). 2 x 225/40/18 + 2 x 255/35/18 for $1,208 = $300 a corner which I can't complain about.

I'll get them mounted on Friday.

Interested to learn your opinion on the tyres, leaning to the Bridgestone’s as they seem to be good price/performance/ value proposition. Just awaiting my wheels from Apex to fit on my Z4

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

It won't last.  Tony's Tyres throughout Welly (many branches) are essentially sh*t, they'll race anyone to the bottom on price, and the service follows.  They do seem to usually manage to fit black circles on wheels most of the time.

As long as they don't damage my rims I'll be happy, can't see myself needing to make a return visit any time soon but hopefully their service doesn't tank. 

3 hours ago, Haggisman said:

Interested to learn your opinion on the tyres, leaning to the Bridgestone’s as they seem to be good price/performance/ value proposition. Just awaiting my wheels from Apex to fit on my Z4

I shall be reporting back my thoughts on them after I've broken them in a bit. I'm no expert and rarely drive to the limit of the tyres so won't be able to comment on their race readiness. ? 

They're not as confidence inspiring or refined feeling as F1 Assys in the wet, not terrible but you can realllly lean on the F1s assys in the wet, but I suspect on raw off the line traction RE003s are better. My 0-100 5.4s was on Re003s, they certainly grip. 

RE003s are superb in the wet.  Rather good in the dry.  I've not tried anything better at the price point.  Sticky enough yet still wear well, nice stiff sidewall, very communicative.

Stoked, they look better than I expected. Proper 1er offsets drag them in a bit compared to the RC's but that also means they won't rub!

Initial impressions of the R003's (with the mould release still on them) is that they're very communicative whilst remaining really quite, good signs.

208_Mounted_01.jpg

208_Mounted_02.jpg

208_Mounted_03.jpg

• Like 3

That looks fantastic. 
its crazy how low these cars are from factory. When i got mine at first i thought it was lowered

• Thanks 1

Oh right. But i remember mine was similar height as this on standard msport springs.

I realised after reading another forum that there's extra coding for cruise control that wasn't included (or even mentioned) in the instructions I followed. By coding the KOMBI (instrument cluster) you can have set speed displayed on the dash.

This was a far less traumatic experience with NCSExpert, read and then changed one option, uploaded the changes and took it for a quick test drive, success!

In KOMBI find TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER

I changed the value from wert_01 to wert_02

Then SG_codieren the kombi

https://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=286751#p286751

Edited by M3AN

These arrived today so I can finish my wheels (when it stops bucketing down).

Stickers.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

These arrived today so I can finish my wheels (when it stops bucketing down).

Stickers.jpg

How much did you get these for?

1 hour ago, HypedKidz said:

How much did you get these for?

You can get them for a few bucks on Amazon but I got them locally for $17.50 including some fancy valve caps, ordered on Sunday evening, arrived this morning. Can't complain about the quality either.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/exterior/listing/2852413512

• Like 1

Quick update a few weeks in... I'm really impressed with the grip, traction, noise and feedback of the R003's, they're quite epic, better than I expected. The absence of any form of rim protection, after 15 years on Goodyears, is a bummer though and they have a quite 'round' profile compared to the 'square' look of the F1's so look a lot thinner. But, at ~$300 a corner I'm not sure I could do better considering they're 225's and 255's.

Thinking ahead, I have an M3 26mm front ARB, what size rear should I go for (considering I have an LSD)?

Whiteline any good? They're cheap.

20mm? https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/suspension/listing/2883012426

16mm? https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/suspension/listing/2875177428

• Like 1

Have a hoon In mine Sunday if ya want, can't remember what size the eibachs are in mine (B1 V2) but will give ya a reference point. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Have a hoon In mine Sunday if ya want, can't remember what size the eibachs are in mine (B1 V2) but will give ya a reference point. 

Sweet, thanks. And I'll return the favour if you want to give a sporty slush-box a shakedown.

Before:

Fitted_Stock.jpg

During:

Fitted_M140.jpg

After:

Fitted_Stock.jpg

Despite various internet confirmations my wheels don't clear the callipers... 😕

Looks like I need some 5mm spacers and an updated cert... 😖

• Sad 2

Gah that sucks, will wheels clear the gaurd when compressed with +5mm spacer?