M3AN

My Fun 130i (E87 LCI Motorsport Auto)

Installed my speed and cool stuff... fits fine, what it does remains to be seen.

Intake_Hose_Swap.jpg

excuse my ignorance Dave, but where does the speed and cool stuff go?

4 hours ago, gofaster said:

excuse my ignorance Dave, but where does the speed and cool stuff go?

It's the pipework between the air box and intake manifold.

Link please for the speed and cool flame intake hose? :D

On 5/2/2021 at 1:14 PM, qube said:

Link please for the speed and cool flame intake hose? :D

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001971634527.html

Although it was less than that two months ago... but still, that's half the cost of the Mishimoto one!

Edited by M3AN

I've had one of those sitting here ready to install for a couple months now, not a speed and cool one but a Turner Motorsports. 

Any differences with it installed? How easy was it to put in? 

14 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Any differences with it installed? How easy was it to put in? 

I haven't noticed any appreciable difference to be honest but it was easy to install... remove airbox, unbolt power steering fluid reservoir and move it out of the way, undo existing hardware, install new hardware... maybe 30 mins?

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

New bits arrived from Canada to prevent an uncommon but catastrophic engine failure on the N52... belt ingestion.

Malo.jpg

• Like 1

Today I replaced my 'Speed & Cool' intake hose, that I recently installed, with the Mishimoto one my brother got me for my birthday a couple of weeks back. It was pure coincidence, neither of us knew of the other's plan. They're effectively the same thing, call me a brand whore. 😛 

So if anybody wants a full compliment of both speed and cool for their N52 (1 or 3 series) hit me up, $40 shipped.

On 1/18/2020 at 4:45 PM, M3AN said:

BMW Performance Alcantara steering wheel insert... and look closely...

Alcantara_Wheel.jpg

...because proper conventional paddle shifters...

Proper_Paddles.jpg

And they work as expected, total WIN! ??

Are these shifters something that a ham-fisted idiot could fit? I love the look of them over the original setup

52 minutes ago, IainR said:

Are these shifters something that a ham-fisted idiot could fit? I love the look of them over the original setup

Yes, and 18 months in they're still so awesome. I drove a normal auto about two months ago and kept reaching for "my" paddles, it was a terrible experience.

If you can use a screwdriver, plyers and can swap some electrical connectors then you can install these. I did find a (rather obvious) error in their instructions and let them know, I'm not sure if they've been updated (they describe swapping the incorrect pins on the left side).

You need the "pre-LCI" version because the US LCI was actually the 2010 update, not the international (first) 2007 update.

• Thanks 1

Acquired...

Front_Strut_Bar.jpg

Front strut bar... necessary? Probably not. Worth a punt? Probably and won't hurt.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, M3AN said:

Yes, and 18 months in they're still so awesome. I drove a normal auto about two months ago and kept reaching for "my" paddles, it was a terrible experience.

Thanks! 

These are definitely top of my list 😍

Which version did you go for? There seems to be V1, V2 & 'Steptronic'🤔

3 hours ago, IainR said:

Thanks! 

These are definitely top of my list 😍

Which version did you go for? There seems to be V1, V2 & 'Steptronic'🤔

Just looked back at my invoice...

BMW E-series (Pre-LCI/Steptronic) V1 Paddle Kits × 1 (Billet Black)

https://www.nelsonracingwheel.com/collections/paddle-shifters/products/bmw-e-series-paddle-kits?variant=15653226545187

• Thanks 1

Installs easily enough, even accommodates the "camber pin mod".

Front_Strut_Bar_Installed.jpg

Car seriously needs a wash!

30 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Installs easily enough, even accommodates the "camber pin mod".

Car seriously needs a wash!

Is it OK? I had Ultra racing braces on my E30 and they were made of some sorta cheese based alloy (it was softer than 6061T3), I'm hoping they've improved. 

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Is it OK? I had Ultra racing braces on my E30 and they were made of some sorta cheese based alloy (it was softer than 6061T3), I'm hoping they've improved. 

It seems fine, good welds and proper powder coat. I'm far less dubious about them now than I used to be, have one in the rear of the M3 and it's sweet.

Two weeks or so ago I pulled out of my garage and left a small pool of coolant, kept an eye on vitals as I drove the short trip to work. Left another small pool in my parking spot at work and got a low coolant warning as I pulled into the driveway at home. For various reasons I've not driven, or been able to work on the car since then.

Pulled bits and pieces off today to have a look and was initially pleased to find it was only the upper radiator hose, but then I saw that BMW have made it far more complicated as a single part than it needs to be. 🙄 I read they're a crap design from various forum posts here and elsewhere.

At least they're readily available in NZ.

Upper%20Radiator%20Hose%20Leak%20(Marked

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Two weeks or so ago I pulled out of my garage and left a small pool of coolant, kept an eye on vitals as I drove the short trip to work. Left another small pool in my parking spot at work and got a low coolant warning as I pulled into the driveway at home. For various reasons I've not driven, or been able to work on the car since then.

Pulled bits and pieces off today to have a look and was initially pleased to find it was only the upper radiator hose, but then I saw that BMW have made it far more complicated as a single part than it needs to be. 🙄 I read they're a crap design from various forum posts here and elsewhere.

At least they're readily available in NZ.

Upper%20Radiator%20Hose%20Leak%20(Marked

Good early spotting. 

Makes me wary of my cooling system. Whole lot is still the original. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Makes me wary of my cooling system. Whole lot is still the original. 

Yeah, I don't know the provenance of my cooling system either. This will be a quick fix but I think I'll start working out the parts list for a full overhaul come next summer. Although I'll keep the radiator, it still looks mint on both faces and around the joints.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Yeah, I don't know the provenance of my cooling system either. This will be a quick fix but I think I'll start working out the parts list for a full overhaul come next summer. Although I'll keep the radiator, it still looks mint on both faces and around the joints.

I'd be interested in that list! 

Changing the cooling system along with the front pulleys and belt, I'd have done nearly  everything on the motor 😅

I still need to do all the motor seals and gaskets, another "next summer" job. 😇

Whilst it's not a priority at the moment I will share the list once I've created it.

Just ordered the OEM (Renn) hose from Australia for $5 less, delivered, than I could have got a no-name brand locally and that included Australian GST lol. Hopefully here this week.

I have a full load of cooling system hoses (and a new rad) sitting here if you want one fast (I just ordered Realoem.com...), just replace it with the ordered one when it arrives.

Edited by Jacko
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I have a full load of cooling system hoses (and a new rad) sitting here if you want one fast (I just ordered Realoem.com...), just replace it with the ordered one when it arrives.

Nice one, thanks Chris. I'll yell out if it doesn't look like it will land pre-weekend. 👍

My favorite hose. If that one has gone the next to go is the plastic fitting on the front of the motor. Get the upgraded alloy fitting with hose attached. 

• Like 1