M3AN

My Fun 130i (E87 LCI Motorsport Auto)

Failed to remove the oil filter cap for an oil change so skipped that and moved on to installing the M3 front control arms. I was utterly stoked to find all of the nuts and bolts are new(ish) and had anti-seize on the threads. Somebody has loved this one in the past.

Low and behold, as I inspected the current upper arms I noted that they were poly-bushed but removed one anyway to check it out. Turns out it's already an M3 arm, same length as the one I had to put in from the M3... Edit: I've been advised that the M3 and stock arms are the same length, only the bushing is better, the M3 one is far superior to the stock one. The poly bush negates that advantage. 

Upper_Arm_Comparison_2.jpg

So, unless I'm advised otherwise the poly-bushed ones will go back in and I'll sell I've sold (1 hour) the M3 ones to recover my costs.

Lower arms are definitely stock...

Lower_Arm_Comparison.jpg

And the M3 bushing is obviously far superior...

Lower_Arm_Bushing.jpg

Should finish tomorrow, then off to Autolign for an alignment. 

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3

Awesome, you'll like the results. I found it took me a few minutes to get use to the new pointy front end. 

• Like 2

I finished the front control arms today, greased, reinstalled and torqued the upper arms and greased, installed and torqued the new lower arms. I also installed the replacement headlight adjuster (Xenon) arm. A few tips:

• Have a T40 torx bit handy in case you need to hold/lock the ball joint shafts.
  • The M3 bearing assembly on the lower arm is a fraction wider (~0.5mm) than the standard item but a bit of gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet and a block of wood fixed that (3 mins per side). 
  • None of the DIY's I read mentioned that the new headlight adjuster arm doesn't come with nuts, you can reuse one from the stock item but you'll need another. A quick bike ride to Mitre 10 and I had a pack of stainless self locking M6 nuts.

Took it for a quick drive around the block to see if there were any knocks and, as expected it handles terribly, dangerously even. I certainly wouldn't allow anyone else to drive it in this state. But no knocks and an alignment this week. 

Also nice to meet @Navin today when he came and picked up the spare M3 arms for what I paid for them so that worked out perfectly. Lovely E82 mate!

Holy camber Batman!

Mo_Camber.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Great to meet you Dave, and good to finally see the car in person. Extremely jealous of all the goodies you scored with it!

Keen to get your thoughts once you get the alignment all dialed in too

• Like 2

I had the same reaction when I fitted my M3 arms, only made it 15m down the road then turned around and gave my car an eye ball alignment so I could make it to the shop for a proper alignment.

9 minutes ago, Badical said:

I had the same reaction when I fitted my M3 arms, only made it 15m down the road then turned around and gave my car an eye ball alignment so I could make it to the shop for a proper alignment.

It won't be going further than the alignment shop anyway really. I did expect it after swapping M3 suspension into my old 328 which, even with an eye alignment, still felt sketchy. It's amazing what a few degrees of this and that can do!

Yep, was driving few days after I picked up my 130 years ago on a rainy day, driving the gentle curve of an offramp I almost lost control. Alignment was completely out of wack.

Haha its fun aye, think mine had something silly like 20mm toe out on the front initially. Point it at corner and it wants to suck itself into the kerb :D

You going for E9x M3 numbers on the alignment?

4 minutes ago, Jacko said:

You going for E9x M3 numbers on the alignment?

Very little adjustment available so I'll spec my own:

• Max front camber that can be matched both sides (up to 2 degrees), I'll be surprised if they can get much more than 1.6* so about ideal.
  • Weighing up either 0 toe or perhaps 10 minutes toe out up front for turn-in, if I go out at the front I'll go toe in (50% of front e.g. 5 minutes) at the rear for tracking. Might go for 0 all around to experience the new camber changes alone... undecided.
  • Raise the rear ride height by 5mm - to see if that eliminates the slight rubbing I get with the 255's on there at the moment.
  • Max rear camber which will be very little I imagine (I don't know what e87 spec is to be honest).

I have a bit of time to decide, can't get an alignment until next week now. The M3 will get some love in the meantime. 

I didn't realise this would be so inexpensive, nor did I know this tool actually existed. I thought the "proper" tool was the vice grip like one which I didn't particularly want. So, all going to plan oil change this weekend.

OilFilterHousingCapTool.jpg

• Like 1

Next week, the can opener... no need to smash cans with rocks anymore! :D  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

I didn't realise this would be so inexpensive, nor did I know this tool actually existed.

Shouldn't need to exist it weren't for cost costing or dissuading people to work the car. Goes along some of the low rent air, cabin filter and under tray designs that appeared in the first N series motors, probably VAG inspired.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Shouldn't need to exist it weren't for cost costing or dissuading people to work the car. Goes along some of the low rent air, cabin filter and under tray designs that appeared in the first N series motors, probably VAG inspired.

Yes, and no dipstick! ?

• Like 1

No choke or ignition advance lever for the magnetos either! 

StatlerWaldorf.JPG.jpg

• Haha 1

Used my new tool today and completed the oil change. The oil and the filter that came out weren't pretty which undermines the claim on the MTA window sticker about the last oil change. It did however have a magnetic drain plug (another good sign that it's been owned by an enthusiast) and there wasn't a spec on it. Filled it back up with 6.5 litres of golden HPR5 5w40 and a new K&N filter (which I've been advised I should have skipped for the Mann Mahle brand - so I'll change it after 1000kms, no harm done) and she's good to go.

127,558 km for the record.

Currently aiming to pick up an M3 front sway bar and need to keep my eyes open for an equivalent rear.

Alignment on Tuesday. Exciting. ?

Edited by M3AN

I highly recommend Chris’ suggestion with regards to the M3 alignment; totally transformed the feel of my car (coupled with the control arms). Steering feel and turn in is sublime! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ///M said:

I highly recommend Chris’ suggestion with regards to the M3 alignment; totally transformed the feel of my car (coupled with the control arms). Steering feel and turn in is sublime! 

Do you have your last alignment sheet? I'd like to know what those M3 specs look like, I trust BMW's judgement over mine. However I won't go into an alignment without knowing the precise measurements I'm looking for.

Edited by M3AN

5 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Do you have your last alignment sheet? I'd like to know what those M3 specs look like, I trust BMW's judgement over mine. However I won't go into an alignment without knowing the precise measurements I'm looking for.

The sheet’s laying in Auckland unfortunately. Car was aligned at P&S auto (great bunch of guys btw)  and was very similar to M3 specs as per below. 

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192175

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On oil filters - Go Mahle or genuine, theyre mint. The mann ones are average, the repco ones are horrific piles of sh*t that look like stuff kids made with a hot glue gun. I order packs of a few Mahle ones at a time from FCP. 

• Like 1

P&S must be getting good at doing M3 specs on 130s :D Ill have the alignment sheet somewhere, will dig it out tomorrow. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ///M said:

The sheet’s laying in Auckland unfortunately. Car was aligned at P&S auto (great bunch of guys btw)  and was very similar to M3 specs as per below. 

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192175

That's interesting, thank you. Having said that:

• Front camber at 1*10' isn't as much as I'm expecting to get and I'll ask for as much as I can get, anything up to about -2*30' is fine for a street car, the more the better (I'm expecting closer to 2*).
  • Front toe is what I was going to ask for (0*10').
  • Rear toe is +ve and I don't know why, I'll have to look that up (I was going to go for -0*05').
  • Rear camber is just "maximum please" as there's very little adjustment.

It'll be interesting to see what I end up with, will post the sheet.

And just collected these, thanks for a simple and good deal Kyle (@///M) - spied your car at the same time, looks like a nice example!

Not sure when I'll install them, the front bar (e9x M3) is relatively easy, a bit more faffing around to get the rear bushing inserts installed. I might order new drop links (and some oil filters) from FCP. 

FrontBar_RearInserts.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

Meyle HD droplinks (way beefier than stock), a few Mahle oil filters, OE cabin filter, and because I must keep adding until the shipping goes up, a set of BMWP genuine aluminium pedal covers, all ordered from FCP. Can't complain when shipping is <US$30.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Meyle HD droplinks (way beefier than stock), a few Mahle oil filters, OE cabin filter, and because I must keep adding until the shipping goes up, a set of BMWP genuine aluminium pedal covers, all ordered from FCP. Can't complain when shipping is <US$30.

can i chuck in a couple things with u?

11 minutes ago, qube said:

can i chuck in a couple things with u?

Sorry man, I'd already hit pay before I posted here... ??

• Sad 1