M3AN

My Fun 130i (E87 LCI Motorsport Auto)

4 minutes ago, Lucan said:

I drove past yours the a week or 2 ago and wondered who's this was...Makes sense now! Did you sell the black coupe?

Yeah, got a new job last year and decided to upgrade the daily. Priced the 328 to sell and it went to a forum member within 24h of listing it. With the work done it was a good base for a manual conversion track hack which is what the new owner is intending.

I'd link to the thread with the story but the incompetence of the mods/admins/whoever here mean that it's no longer available.

• Like 1

Mmm, not sure on those mirror caps tbh, look a bit too batman-ish to me. Original mirrors looked nicer.

On 5/21/2020 at 8:03 PM, KwS said:

Mmm, not sure on those mirror caps tbh, look a bit too batman-ish to me. Original mirrors looked nicer.

I respect your opinion, it's shared by some others as well. In the UK some call them "dumbo mirrors" (edit: wrong, that's a reference to a different mirror) and yep, they are bigger although those photos aren't actually a good representation because I failed at getting the angle/distance/perspective the same which does make the new ones look bigger than they are.

Like a variety of bits and pieces I'm not wedded to them yet but will give them a chance. Because they're for an M3 I'm pretty confident they'll make the car go faster. ?

Edited by M3AN

Slight concern on the way back from Karaka today when this came on...

image.png.a996b7f4f448c2ed5978a5bcc9884f04.png 

Which lead to...

image.thumb.png.04cf42eda8478d6abe27f9fdb39b6a5a.png

Exhaust VANOS solenoid on the way out, common problem.

Cleared the code, went for a drive, code didn't come back...

image.thumb.png.75e6b132c0306920c6ef38bed9092c54.png

New ones are ~$225 each so I think I'll take them out and clean them first to see how that goes.

Edited by M3AN

Clean them and swap with the inlet. If it comes back then you know if it's a solenoid or worse

• Like 2

You can get them way cheaper too, I have amazon $60 ones in the 330, pulled out the OEM ones for troubleshooting and never switched them back.. work fine.

• Like 1

Finally got a rear parcel tray, that being absent was annoying me disproportionately. Everyone I called wanted $120-140 for one, picked up this mint one for $70 (which I still consider expensive but they seem to be like hen's teeth).

Parcel_Tray.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

The hens teeth I picked up last week were expensive too ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

The hens teeth I picked up last week were expensive too ?

I chased a f'ing chicken for 20 mins, couldn't catch it! No teeth acquired. ?

Had the same problem with the Mrs mondeo and my e36, couldn't find one in Christchurch let alone for a decent price. Then in lockdown one popped up on trademe for $60. 

Got a damaged one for the e36 for nothing but still a pain

28 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Had the same problem with the Mrs mondeo and my e36, couldn't find one in Christchurch let alone for a decent price. Then in lockdown one popped up on trademe for $60. 

Got a damaged one for the e36 for nothing but still a pain

Have no idea what the story is, the guys at the parts place said so many cars come form Japan with them missing that they wondered once if they could be optioned-out at purchase. Unlikely but it is a strange bit of kit to be largely made of unobtainium.

I also found (one of) the parts place(s) that takes everything of value before cars get moved on to Zebra or Pick-a-Part... pay a little more but almost a guarantee of availability (they use that NZ wide parts database that us outsiders can't see). They had 3 parcel trays for me to choose from whereas Zebra et al. have had none in 9 North Island E87's in the last 6 months. They left a consignment slip under the rear seat of an E87 at Zebra with their contact details so I gave them a call, they said 'pop around, no problem'. Local too.

Edited by M3AN

A few things arrived for the 130 today.

H8 LED's for my fog lights, the OEM ones are yellow and don't match the 5500K angel eyes or the HID's. I don't actually use the fog lights unless it's, well foggy, but they may work as complementary DRL's, we'll see.

Philips_H8_LED.jpg

And, much to my surprise a recall notice from BMW NZ, apparently "the heater of the engine ventilation line has to be replaced" whatever the fook that is? Anyone else get one?

Recall_Notice.jpg

Edited by M3AN

14 minutes ago, M3AN said:

And, much to my surprise a recall notice from BMW NZ, apparently "the heater of the engine ventilation line has to be replaced" whatever the fook that is? Anyone else get one?

Recall_Notice.jpg

Guess I'm getting 3 of those 

Been doing those for the last 2/3 years, common recall on most N series 6 cylinders

Edit: prob wouldn't be surprised if it needed an airbag as well since its a jap import

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Been doing those for the last 2/3 years, common recall on most N series 6 cylinders 

What's a "heater of the engine ventilation line" do you know? Besides a literal translation from Deutsch.

Connects PCV to the intake manifold and has a heater element to it, have been known to melt. Engine needs to be not hot when doing the recall 

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

My UK 330 had same recall, just got done, but not on the NZ new 130, which is odd as as far as I can tell, all the same hardware

Edited by Jacko

Any risk of them resetting my tune to stock?

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

I think it's this one then... wonder why it took BMW NZ so long to react?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCRIT-17V683-5875.pdf

Yeah that's it. They have been sending out letters for the last year or so, but alot of imports get brought in without going anywhere near a dealer in Japan or NZ. Always good to check with your local dealer if there are any recalls when buying a car

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Any risk of them resetting my tune to stock?

Nop

• Thanks 1

LED fog lights in, so much better aesthetically and these Philips lamps are high quality.

One side done...

LED_Fog_1.jpg

Both done, matches the angel eyes well...

LED_Fog_2.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Funnily, I went totally the opposite way... pulled LED foglights out and put in some 3000k yellow halogens in as I think they looked better with yellowy light against the xenons :D 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Funnily, I went totally the opposite way... pulled LED foglights out and put in some 3000k yellow halogens in as I think they looked better with yellowy light against the xenons :D 

My OCD got the better of me, I couldn't stand the difference between the halos and the fogs... I had to code out voltage checking but I expected as much, didn't want to stump up extra for the Philips CANBUS unit. Being LED's I can also run them as DRL''s if I like, undecided on that but it's not practical with halogens. All my white lights, inside and out, are now 5-5.5k so match quite nicely.

I completed the camber pin mod this afternoon. Had read that the pins were aluminium but mine certainly weren't and took ages to drill out  (and one was easier because I did it properly, i.e. straight through the middle). Once they were out and the nuts loosened the hats moved over really easily. Apparently you get about 0.5 extra degrees, you can see the range of movement in the second pic, it's actually quite a lot. Once I've installed the M3 arms, hopefully next weekend, I'll get it aligned and am expecting about 1.5 degrees extra camber in total which is about perfect.

Camber_Pin_Mod_1.jpg  

Camber_Pin_Mod_3.jpg

• Like 2