Sign in to follow this  
Arata

Diagnosing E39 530i Rough idling at the start

Any suggestion to why my e39 started having very rough idle when turning the ignition on?

Clearly can tell that the engine shakes very hardly. I'm thinking either spark plugs or coils as I haven't changed it.

The car is done 250,000km.

Thank you in advance.

Scan it. Could be either a vacuum leak, or failed coil, or failed spark plug, blocked fuel filter

Hey Zero. I've been scanning but nothing comes up yet apart from the fuel trim bank 1 and 2.

My guess is spark plugs because they have bmw logo on them the last time I took one of them out...

I have some replacements now so will see what that makes any difference.

With the vacuum leak, like the e46 which I'm chasing up with, this e39 has been fixed far better than e46. All gaskets have been replaced, as well as CCV hoses, air intake hoses, dipstick O rings.

If it was a spark plug failing it would be an individual cylinder code, not all six. Most likely to be a vacuum leak. You can take out the fuel filter and test it. Also try a smoke test. Seeing as you have two cars that need smoke testing its proboably cheapest to buy a cheap smoke tester. 

I see. Do you know where I can get the smoke tester?

Hi. Thank you for the offer! I might borrow it.

I've changed the spark plugs and started the engine, seems no different.

The things I'm noticing at this stage is that I can definitely feel the misfire but I'm more concerned with huge shudder sound and also I can hear some metal kind of sound like cranking or cracking sound...

If you have a long screw driver you may be able to pinpoint it by putting it against your ear and placing the tip against where you think the noise is coming from.

• Like 1

Hey Eagle. I'll try that today see where the noise is. It was from around the intake manifold area but doesn't seem from the disa valve or throttle body. I'll see... Can the CCV oil separator make the sound too by any chance? I highly doubt it as I've changed it pretty new...

Hi team. I apologise for very late reply to this section. 

The car is up running good now. The cause was the intake manifold not been lined up with the gasket properly.

Took off the intake manifold and re-lined the gasket carefully and no more fault. 

Thank you very much for help.