NZ_InFerno

New Daily - Manual 130i

Third time lucky....

After adventures with my E81( 2 door) 130i and my parts car E87 130i, I've now bought a Manual E87 M-Sport 130i!

80247135_188810108871448_1932483078425411584_n.jpg.2c779a31a55c9495ee39df2d4ade9442.jpg

So far I've given it a thorough clean and a good drive around the Wellington hills, very happy with my purchase. 

79899896_188810258871433_6226050498554757120_n.jpg.5ba054bc84555b583084578cebb769ea.jpg

Both photos from the sale listing. 

Its a Jap import that's been in the country since 2015, and I've got a folder full of extensive service history since then including major bits replaced like DISA valves, valvetronic, and waterpump. 

Car has been converted to NZ Navigation and is a high spec example from factory with black leather seats/silver trim/Idrive/Heated seats etc. Exterior is in exceptional condition bumper aside,  interior is also quite nice. It has several mods:

Ohlins Adjustable Suspension

Works Emotion D9R 18" wheels

BMW Performance rear spoiler

Tints all round

BMW roof racks

Rear Wiper Delete

Exhaust flap removed

"eyebrows"

As part of the purchase it had the PCV and relevant pipes replaced and MAF sensor changed after being picked up as a fault in a pre-purchase check.   Outstanding issues with it include headliner sagging in the rear and front bumper damage from being backed into near the license plate. Will be fixing headlining shortly. I have had a go at cleaning paint marks off the front bumper somewhat successfully and the actual damage isn't obvious or structural. Will likely get it fixed but not a rush job.  Otherwise car is in fantastic nick and drives beautifully. 

I'm planning to remove the eyebrows and BMW Roof racks asap, will need to find some roof rack covers for the roof. I also have a SuperSprint exhaust backbox to fit on. Think I'll replace the kidneys if/when I get the front bumper fixed as they're painted black. 

Big decision for me will be about the wheels, didn't originally like them but they're growing on me. They're quite special being 5x120 and relatively rare.  I do like the 18" M-sport factory wheels which I have on my 4 door. 

Have been really enjoying the drive compared to my suspension modded E81, and stock E87 130i. Both which will be for sale now or shortly. Manual makes a big difference in the drive and feels like a bit more power is available. Adjustable suspension is a tremendous ride. So a very happy camper who finally got his manual 130i :D

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 15

That one looks tits, nice wheels (and fitment), good pick. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jacko said:

That one looks tits, nice wheels (and fitment), good pick. 

From the 130i guru that's praise indeed ?

They're Work Emotion d9r special order from Japan in 1 series stud pattern/offset. Forgot to add the wheels/suspension is certed too. Wheels stick out of the rear guards ?

Cars an 06, pre-lci so different to what I've had before. Interior is still nice, not much difference there. Gruntier engine too! 

Edited by NZ_InFerno

Looks pretty well sorted. Disabling the clutch safety sensor would be my first mod if it hasn't already been done.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Looks pretty well sorted. Disabling the clutch safety sensor would be my first mod if it hasn't already been done.

What is this and what does it do? 

Stops to car from starting without foot on clutch. Doesn't bother some people but i hate most of idiot features.

Manual and onlins will make it a totally different car to a stock auto.

• Like 1

Ordered some Re003s for the car today, managed to get onto a deal which was nice. 235/40/18s, the rears were dead on the car when purchased which I factored into the offer/purchase price to cover a new set. 

Also jacked up some touch up paint for the wheels, ordered a Bluetooth receiver for the stereo and sorted out a tool for the roof racks. 

Will take some photos of the car in a couple weeks when it's all tidied up. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Congrats on the new vehicle Dan! :)

Thanks Pete. For the moment I now have as many BMWs as you ?

Had the new rear tyres fitted yesterday, looking forward to putting a few kms on them! 

On 12/29/2019 at 9:51 PM, NZ_InFerno said:

Cars an 06, pre-lci so different to what I've had before. Interior is still nice, not much difference there. Gruntier engine too! 

How do you find the hydraulic steering vs the lci's electric? Lovely car btw, Ohlins coilovers must feel special!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ///M said:

How do you find the hydraulic steering vs the lci's electric? Lovely car btw, Ohlins coilovers must feel special!

FWIW not all LCI's have electric steering... mine's hydraulic. I don't know what years/markets/options etc got the electric setup.

2 minutes ago, M3AN said:

FWIW not all LCI's have electric steering... mine's hydraulic. I don't know what years/markets/options etc got the electric setup.

Really? AFAIK all black tops (i.e. LCI models) come with electric power steering as well as other measures to help with fuel economy. 

Pretty sure active steering was an option the original buyer had to tick when ordering. 

Great looking car! must be ridiculously fun with the manual

• Like 1

There's (at least) three types - hydraulic, hydraulic with active and electric without active. They may have also added electric with active later on (I didn't check).

And yes @///M, not all LCI's came with electric (or active):

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?id=UD52-EUR-03-2007-E87N-BMW-130i&mg=32&sg=10&diagId=32_1509&q=32106777464&series=E87N 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ///M said:

I enjoy them both actually, electric feels more assisted but I wouldn't in a million years say its bad. But all 3 of my 130i drive differently, as all have different set ups. 

My 4 door parts car, which is an LCI stock auto is electric and feels a bit more assisted but otherwise drives nicely. 

The 2 door is an LCI auto but hydraulic steering. It's got upgraded shocks and sway bars, plus better wheels/tyres and feels even better on the road. It's quite flat around corners, steering feel is a bit better ie less assisted feel and a bit heavier. 

This car aka the new one is another improvement again, but that's down to wheels/suspension. The on road feel is amazing. Adjustable suspension is bit more forgiving on bumps than the 2 door but still grips superbly. Think also the lighter wheels/better tyres make the steering feel better too. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Navin said:

Pretty sure active steering was an option the original buyer had to tick when ordering. 

Great looking car! must be ridiculously fun with the manual

Manual is totally different, I've fallen in love all over again ?

Its a shame I didnt know you were looking to move the others on earlier, would've been interested in the E87, but have a Saab now.

The white looks great, as do the wheels. Should sound good with the supersprint on it. Will you move the swaybars from the E81 over too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KwS said:

Its a shame I didnt know you were looking to move the others on earlier, would've been interested in the E87, but have a Saab now.

The white looks great, as do the wheels. Should sound good with the supersprint on it. Will you move the swaybars from the E81 over too?

Yeah, it all happened pretty quickly tbh. I wasn't really looking for one, or rather no manuals had been showing up in the spec I was after. So I was only low-key selling the two door so I still had one car available. 

Then one showed up in Auckland which Jacko kindly looked at for me, no joy there. Then literally 2 days later this popped up locally and bought it a week later Xmas eve. So now I did need to sell the 4 door as well ?

The white is hella clean, a cut and polish would really get it shining so that's on my list too. I think I'll leave the swaybars on the E81, I'm not sure it needs them and don't know how painful it would be to swap them over. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno

Having had Ohlins in my E46 I can say it really makes a difference. Very nice 130.

• Like 1

Did some cosmetic work to the car today, first step was debadging it. Took all of 2 mins to do. Can't see it in the OP photos as it was added later, but had a 116d badge on it presumably "for the lols". Looks much cleaner without it. 

IMG_20200106_163430.thumb.jpg.44c0476ef257ba2e4bda3ccb86d8e81e.jpg

It also had these hideous eyebrows on it, they took much longer to remove and then the glue residue was worse ?

IMG_20200106_163416.thumb.jpg.e7292d024f8e3f6604af21420a849714.jpg

Came out alright in the end, looks way better? Will need a headlight polish and UV coat reapplied now. 

IMG_20200106_172537.thumb.jpg.4425166d7bb3efb055cc8622457afbca.jpg

Car is booked in for exhaust back box swap this week, it's all coming together nicely. 

• Like 4

Due to a lingering engine issue(loose PCV hose), exhaust swap hasn't yet happened. I have only driven the car a couple of times since purchase(to get the new tyres, and to the mechanics) so was stoked to finally get the car back today.

It took a while to diagnose the issue and get it sorted, no fault codes were showing up but was fixed at no cost to me, since it was replaced recently. At the same time the new MAF sensor was installed and service done. Sourced a tool for the roof racks so that was the next job I tackled. 

IMG_20200114_120607.thumb.jpg.081af992eaa54778fcf997714bf1fd7e.jpgIMG_20200114_120613.thumb.jpg.5f751626b8d30896ac1d5c34bd72950d.jpg

Really easy to remove, 2 screws at each end and they lift off. Car looks miles better without them, but was quite grubby underneath so gave the roof a thorough cleaning once I had them both off. 

IMG_20200114_130556.thumb.jpg.d62f378a9b896febd86180fe509ed0c3.jpg

Much happier with the cars look now, no more racks/eyebrows/silly badging. But removing the rack did uncover this...

IMG_20200114_130615.thumb.jpg.d72d7276bde2493be54fb0881b14350a.jpg

One of the tabs on the left hand side has broken off. Apparently you can't buy the tabs themselves as they come as part of the trim so I'll be looking for a trim piece to replace this one. 

Hoping to have the exhaust swap done shortly, and an alignment/paint touch up on the wheels. Both this week would be sweet.  But its great having the car back and being able to drive it. Such fun!

• Like 2

Remember seeing this for sale on Facebook, awesome value - manual, Ohlins, work wheels - looks sharp and bet it drives even better.

• Like 1

Had some goodies for the car turn up in the last couple of weeks, which will be fitted sometime in the near future. 

Unfortunately car is back at the mechanics after breaking down completely and being undriveable. IMG_20200122_093200.thumb.jpg.2aefe5650bcf6b8bb81ac64433291813.jpg

Currently waiting for quote to fix but mechanic suspects timing chain guides, is tearing the engine down to confirm so new timing chain etc needed. Not a happy chap having barely driven the car since purchase, worked out 10.5 hours of driving and just passed a month of ownership. 

• Sad 5

Dude, that sucks balls.

Did it throw codes? Or was noisy? Any prior warning?