NZ_InFerno

New Daily - Manual 130i

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

Yeah it can do

Yeah I went and did this on the black car, coded and registered within Carly. 

1 hour ago, qube said:

You may need to replace the shaft itself

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Seen entrenchment/wear on the eccentric shafts a number of times 

Would this cause rough idle/running and similar fault codes for valvetronic? 

Any idea of cost? Digging into the engine is likely beyond my skills.

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Has the valvetronic motor itself been changed, or were the endpoints just relearnt? Have you tried transposing the valvetronic motor from one 130 to the other and seeing if the fault follows?

Yeah, it was a new valvetronic motor and endpoints relearned. 

3 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Yes it can do, they wear or rust up due to lack of servicing and too many short trips. New shaft  with teflon rings, and recommend levers also replaced. Cost wise, not cheap, cams can be $1000ish and then some plus labour, levers gaskets etc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NZ_InFerno said:

in my N55 engine, worn eccentric shaft and subsequently damaged valvetronic motor resulted in rough idle/running at low rpm but the bigger issue was it would randomly just die/turn engine off while driving. replaced the shaft and motor and it was fixed.. cost.... dont wana talk about it

• Sad 1

Jesus, what a bloody nightmare. It was running so well!

Looking into the hole with the motor removed you could visibly see wear/cupping on the teeth that engage with the motor. Im not sure what "normal" looks like, so not sure if it was excessive.

New motor/gasket was fitted and end stops were learned with INPA with no issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

Needs to be registered when replaced with a new one.

Coded if you change specs

Are you using an obtuse way of saying coding and registering are mutually exclusive or have I misunderstood? 

As a bit of a left-field consideration... since you seem to be able to set it and it then goes out over a relatively short period of time...

Are you confident the timing chain, guides and tensioners are good? I can imagine a scenario where if the chain were a little bit out of kilter it could (because of the VVT/Valvetronic) pull the timing out of kilter also. Having said that, I'd expect it to get progressively worse to the point of not starting, rather than settle.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Are you using an obtuse way of saying coding and registering are mutually exclusive or have I misunderstood? 

On Carly they're two seperate things. You have to code the Ah(amperage?) size then register it to the vehicle. 

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

As a bit of a left-field consideration... since you seem to be able to set it and it then goes out over a relatively short period of time...

Are you confident the timing chain, guides and tensioners are good? I can imagine a scenario where if the chain were a little bit out of kilter it could (because of the VVT/Valvetronic) pull the timing out of kilter also. Having said that, I'd expect it to get progressively worse to the point of not starting, rather than settle.

Yeah I'm reasonably confident they're OK. Pre covid I had it in with the mechanics for this issue and they pulled the front of the engine off and checked the tensioners/guides and chain. Reported those were fine. 

They changed the eccentric shaft sensor and rocker cover gasket at the same time. It then ran for a couple days before playing up again.

Going to ring them tomorrow and see if they remember what the eccentric shaft looked like but like KwS said we could see some marks/wear on the gear inside the engine that the valvetronic motor connects to. 

Also going to swap coils over if the weather is ok and see what's up with the misfire, as I haven't had that fault previously when a valvetronic error has presented. 

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

Yes it can do, they wear or rust up due to lack of servicing and too many short trips. New shaft  with teflon rings, and recommend levers also replaced. Cost wise, not cheap, cams can be $1000ish and then some plus labour, levers gaskets etc

Searched the part number and seems like $1.5k just for the eccentric shaft on its own from various parts sites. I'll ring around locally and see what they would price up for the job. 

After reading all this I would conclude that the problem is wear in the back circles of the camshaft lobes, and or wear in the back circle lobes of the eccentric shaft  causing the hydraulic lifters to pump up which in turn will not allow the valves to close and seal properly. Had this once on a merc (another horror story) It needs to be diagnosed by someone conversant with the product rather than the local garage.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, M3AN said:

No they are two separate procedures.

If you replace a like for like battery, no need to code it, assuming it hasn't been mucked around with before

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

No they are two separate procedures.

If you replace a like for like battery, no need to code it, assuming it hasn't been mucked around with before

Cool, that's what I thought (and thought I said).

Bloody N52s, unreliable things, should have bought an N54 :D

What a PITA, I agree it might be at the point where the best option is just to grab another good N52 and swap ya new parts on to it (HELLBM definitely has one). If the previous servicing on it has been so bad to cause extreme wear like that, makes ya wonder what else has taken a metal on metal beating.

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Bloody N52s, unreliable things, should have bought an N54 :D

What a PITA, I agree it might be at the point where the best option is just to grab another good N52 and swap ya new parts on to it (HELLBM definitely has one). If the previous servicing on it has been so bad to cause extreme wear like that, makes ya wonder what else has taken a metal on metal beating.

There is an N54 on Facebook marketplace.... 

I have the service history which is solid so really unsure why its gone so bad. 

3 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

It's only a theory at the moment, if lean more to fixing your engine, there's not much else that could go wrong with them after this. Could end up doing all this to the new motor yet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

I dont understand it. The km arent that high, and its had regular servicing. What causes the wear? Surely if it just "wears out" the cars with higher KM would be falling over too and it would be a more common issue that it appears.

• Like 1

@NZ_InFerno just as a last ditch check, disconnect the electrical connector from the eccentric shaft sensor on the valve cover and see if there is oil in there. I know its been replaced recently, but worth checking before going down the rabbit hole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

It's only a theory at the moment, if lean more to fixing your engine, there's not much else that could go wrong with them after this. Could end up doing all this to the new motor yet

Yeah I was just joshing around with the N54. Its a hard theory to confirm it's the shafts without pulling the rocker cover off afaik. 

I'm not really sure what I'll do, having put a few grand into it to get it running and it's still not working. Budget has kinda run out, especially for something like eccentric shafts/cam shafts. 

Cars probably not worth that much if I sell either ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KwS said:

I dont understand it. The km arent that high, and its had regular servicing. What causes the wear? Surely if it just "wears out" the cars with higher KM would be falling over too and it would be a more common issue that it appears.

Yeah idk. The valvetronic motor has been changed previously. When I had it at the euro mechanics they had the rocker cover off so would have thought they would have seen any issues there. 

1 hour ago, KwS said:

@NZ_InFerno just as a last ditch check, disconnect the electrical connector from the eccentric shaft sensor on the valve cover and see if there is oil in there. I know its been replaced recently, but worth checking before going down the rabbit hole.

Yeah will do that, while I investigate the misfire I need to get in there anyway. 

1 hour ago, KwS said:

They also rust up due to short trips causing them to stick and wear out, or lack of lubrication

9 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Yeah idk. The valvetronic motor has been changed previously. When I had it at the euro mechanics they had the rocker cover off so would have thought they would have seen any issues there. 

Yeah will do that, while I investigate the misfire I need to get in there anyway. 

Can't really see the wear unless you pull out the shaft, worst one I've seen was it wore into the head