NZ_InFerno

New Daily - Manual 130i

I wasn't aware of the cars & coffee! 

I have other obligations on Saturday so sadly won't make it ?

5 hours ago, IainR said:

I wasn't aware of the cars & coffee! 

I have other obligations on Saturday so sadly won't make it ?

It's a bmw car club thing, so was posted there first, but it's also now been posted in the meet ups part of bimmersport. 

Finally got round to doing the exhaust swap on the car, its been on the cards since I purchased it in December last year. Did the brake fluid at the same time. 

IMG_20200725_154036.thumb.jpg.4853d4963d7c5dfde79b0e5855e9d198.jpgIMG_20200725_154054.thumb.jpg.ed547fe00010f38e46b553ce417fc05e.jpg

This was a both cars on the lift job, exhaust removed on my black one and stock exhaust waiting to moved over on the white 130i.

IMG_20200725_154025.thumb.jpg.286d1fd0964bd14017a77703fec47c2a.jpgIMG_20200725_154022.thumb.jpg.cf3c4ae6022a405284499b435fbdcfc4.jpg

Pricey SuperSprint backbox was removed, was absolutely filthy so gave it a quick general clean and then polished the tips! Came up nice and shiny. 

IMG_20200725_163206.thumb.jpg.d2f530df7c7bf5805008ee3e824fdd20.jpg

Final tightening on fitment, went and redid the tips so its got a bit of residue from the polish in this shot. 

Wasn't able to get a shifter bushing fitted, as the top one, which I had a new replacement for, looked alright and wasn't causing any play. There's a bit of side-to-side movement in the gearshift that I'd like to remove  So will be on the lookout for a full shifter bushing kit to be fitted up. Have now done all the things that were pressing on the car so will enjoy it for a while, hopefully move on my other two then start looking into shifter bushings and tidying the outside of car with some dent removal and cut and polish. 

• Like 2

Car has now been running for the longest period of my ownership without breaking woohoo! 

Completed a nice road trip up the coast today and took the Paekakariki hill road home. Car drove magnificently, the suspension and manual box was a treat on that road. Grip for days and planted the whole time. Exhaust sounds good too! 

Have found the bushing kit for the shifter, I already have Driveshaft guibos to fit(have to take Driveshaft out to get to shifter bushings) and will investigate trans mounts since will be in that area doing the shifter/driveshaft and that should also help with the gearshift feel/slop. 

• Like 7

On 8/8/2020 at 10:15 PM, NZ_InFerno said:

Car has now been running for the longest period of my ownership without breaking woohoo! 

Really pleased for you Dan... 

Have to laugh every time I see this... :) 

image.png.9a80c114e8b0da9d63ef5fae501922e5.png

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Really pleased for you Dan... 

Have to laugh every time I see this... :) 

image.png.9a80c114e8b0da9d63ef5fae501922e5.png

Should update it to which ones are currently running ?

Hopefully will get down to just one in the next month or so. 

Cars still running sweet, has been on a couple of long drives recently and the drivers seat is a quite comfortable place to be. 

Nice sized parcel turned up this morning... ?

IMG_20200825_142735.thumb.jpg.10cc201ff1ed2f40c3f55bd87010f5f8.jpg

• Like 1

Stage 4 V bars? 

Installed the shifter upgrade kit from ECS Tuning plus new transmission mounts. Also installed new front and rear driveshaft couplings/guibos since the driveshaft was coming out to get to the shifter bushings. 

IMG_20200913_155259.thumb.jpg.2187a46183c33e7731f07c9ecf69b752.jpg

Forgot to take photos but here it is all together(minus exhaust) with new trans mounts and front guibo fitted. 

IMG_20200913_155040.thumb.jpg.7000396d41f04b7f82bdaaf0d9bd250b.jpg

Exhaust with SuperSprint back box removed to access the Driveshaft. 

All parts taken off the car were original and in pretty decent condition, old guibos had a few cracks and not as flexible as new, but still ok for near 180k kms. Trans mounts were fine too. 

Main upgrade was to the shifter. Original bushings were all slightly worn but fine, except the back rubber bushing that the shift arm? pivots off. That rubber had loosened and seemed to be the source of the loose shifter feeling. Special Turner Motorsports poly bushing went into the slot and the change was immediate. 

Gearshift is now super precise and feels so good. Very happy with the upgrade and no slop makes the car feel much more cohesive. While thing took less than 2 hours on the lift. 

The next mechanical thing on the car will be engine mounts and sump gasket. Not urgent, there's a slight weep from the sump and mounts probably need replacing at the kms. Both are in the same area, need to drop subframe, so makes sense to do it all at the same time. Will need an engine stand/holder to do it. 

• Like 3

Teflon bushes require trimming, wondering if they fixed the kit or not? Its a night and day difference aye :D

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

Teflon bushes require trimming, wondering if they fixed the kit or not? Its a night and day difference aye :D

Yeah they require trimming still ? 

We weren't sure which part of the bushes needed doing until it was pulled apart. Had to take about 4mm off each one using a bench grinder, they slotted in nicely. 

Big difference, feels very nice now. Quite amazing what a relatively inexpensive part/s makes to the driving experience. 

Ordered some cosmetic parts for the car recently, first one was something I'd been after for a while and it showed up the other day. Replacement strip on the roof in white, my one was missing the flap that covered one of the roof rack mounts. 

IMG_20200923_131942.thumb.jpg.3decc665479646f083f87345d11f2890.jpg

Hard to find part so getting one in white was a great find and at a nice price shipped. 

Missing tab which you can't replace ?

IMG_20200304_103313.thumb.jpg.4dd42c247406a949712515489af3f41c.jpg.aadff3aa58707364bac9fe5d3435c5d8.jpg

New strip fitted really tidies up the car. 

IMG_20200924_151237.thumb.jpg.1974930bb7a982b9c8021351f0088487.jpg

IMG_20200924_151200.thumb.jpg.062e79dcff14adcf5018e21d59a2ea94.jpg

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 3

Good stuff, how do you get that strip out? I want to replace the gasket on one of mine.

Edited by M3AN
sp
  • Like 1

It sits in there with multiple clips, I thought it would slide out but you need to lift it straight up. I started from the boot end and lifted it out clip by clip. Every clip has three tabs on it and guarantee you will break a tab on each plastic clip pulling it up. 

I broke a tab on every one of mine, and the replacement strip already had tabs broken (from removal presumably) but still had more than enough to lock it back down solidly.

I believe you can buy replacement clips or at least they have their own part number on realoem. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Thanks 1

Took some photos from the strip I pulled off  @M3AN . It doesn't have a gasket but two different sized bits of rubber each side. 

Can see the totally broken clip and one with two tabs remaining. Covered in pollen but hey. IMG_20200928_153746.thumb.jpg.2da2ce567bb5321ba78bec9ea1c5d61c.jpgIMG_20200928_153801.thumb.jpg.676e815b529317ee38bbc3084f214c0e.jpgIMG_20200928_153756.thumb.jpg.d8201c08c4e833bd58ed090b66e2a786.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, yes it's one of those strips of rubber that I'd like to (but don't need to) replace.

• Like 1

Have been receiving various parts and goodies for the car over the last couple of weeks. IMG_20201103_131306.thumb.jpg.cb4c8da5f1ff8fd4be0b5a3bf05bac76.jpg

Engine mounts, Sump gasket and various parts for the job all arrived courtesy of fcpeuro. Various oils from local stores. Still need to grab a new sump plug and then find a time to drop the subframe as it's a big job.

Changed the gearbox oil and diff oil over the weekend and also looked at the mounts and sump. Sump was still leaking like last time I looked at it ?. It seems to be a bit wetter than previously so is definitely needing a new gasket done. 

Drove about 500kms over the weekend after the oil changes and the gearshift notchiness, which has persisted since I purchased the car 11 months ago, is now totally gone. Really much smoother and cleaner and with the shifter bushings upgrade(and new trans mounts) its now exactly as it should be. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 3

I also had a part of a cosmetic bits order arrive, some new kidney grills, went to fit them and they're slightly the wrong size. Luckily weren't too expensive but that's the second pair I've got which don't fit. Going to be a bit more particular when looking for grills now. 

Another cosmetic part arrived but its for a LHD car lol. Managed to get a refund on it, will have to source from elsewhere. 

A week or so on and the gearbox is super slick now, feels liquid smooth and really enhances the driving experience. Such a difference for a relatively minor piece of work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Another cosmetic part arrived but its for a LHD car lol. Managed to get a refund on it, will have to source from elsewhere. 

Hmm... ? shifter or handbrake boot?

3 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

I know the feeling! Just happened to me too, and now have to send it back to Germany if I want to swap it for the right one, at my expense of course ?

Edited by Matt
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Hmm... ? shifter or handbrake boot?

Shifter. Mines in good nick but keeps falling off the gear knob attachment.

Think I'll try ebay next as they look decent quality and can get some nice stitching on there. 

Have a parts order sitting with schmiedmann for other cosmetics but I bought a PS5 ? so not wanting to spend too much atm. 

• Haha 1

I've just replaced my bmw performance shifter boot and knob with something else. Was thinking of selling it, if you're interested?

• Like 1